Prospect Info: (F) Oliver Moore - 2023 NHL Draft, 19th Overall

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Also good to know ... although I doubt they will finish with the worst record, especially after San Jose traded their best player.
San Jose certainly traded the best player, but they got 3 NHL players in the exchange. Rutta, Granlund, & Hoffman give them more depth. Still a lead contender for crappiest team, but not exactly out of reach of the Hawks with the Hawks goaltending and LHD.

Of the teams that finished in the bottom 8/around the Hawks....Detroit and Columbus have improved significantly this Summer and likely no where near the Hawks. I also like what moves ARZ made and Cooley on top of that has then as better on paper for me. Only team in the bottom group that i see as significantly worse is Philly....but they were 16 points better than the Hawks so still some spread there. I think the worst spot comes down to the Hawks & San Jose with only a few other teams possible pending injuries/how kids tranisiton into the league.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
San Jose certainly traded the best player, but they got 3 NHL players in the exchange. Rutta, Granlund, & Hoffman give them more depth. Still a lead contender for crappiest team, but not exactly out of reach of the Hawks with the Hawks goaltending and LHD.

Of the teams that finished in the bottom 8/around the Hawks....Detroit and Columbus have improved significantly this Summer and likely no where near the Hawks. I also like what moves ARZ made and Cooley on top of that has then as better on paper for me. Only team in the bottom group that i see as significantly worse is Philly....but they were 16 points better than the Hawks so still some spread there. I think the worst spot comes down to the Hawks & San Jose with only a few other teams possible pending injuries/how kids tranisiton into the league.
I might have too much faith in Carter Hart, but I'd expect that he alone would keep the Flyers better than the Hawks with roughly equivelant groups of skaters. The Flyers are also getting Couterier back from injury who didn't play last year and if he's anywhere close to 80/90% that's a big lift.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville

I have questions on how much better or worse all aspects of the team will be:

Goaltending could be about the same with Mrazek and Soderblom taking over for Stalock (who was their best goalie last season). It depends on whether or not Soderblom plays consistently better than he did in the 15 games he got last season. Summary = about the same as last season.

D-men will be essentially the same on the right side with Seth, Murphy, and Zaitsev and a couple other guys. The left side will be much different with the loss or arguably their best d-men Jake McCabe. Caleb Jones is gone which may be addition by subtraction but the rest of the LD's is Tinordy and a few young guys. It will depend on how well and quickly the young LD's play. Summary = may end up being slightly better or slightly worse but nothing significant enough to move the needle.

Forwards: Obviously Bedard is the wildcard. Reichel with a full season should be a plus. Domi's production will be missed and even though K&T weren't the same as old but still produced points that won't be there this season. Summary = unknown depending on how Bedard does.

Last season they got 59 points. I can't see them doing much better than 65'ish points.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I have questions on how much better or worse all aspects of the team will be:

Goaltending could be about the same with Mrazek and Soderblom taking over for Stalock (who was their best goalie last season). It depends on whether or not Soderblom plays consistently better than he did in the 15 games he got last season. Summary = about the same as last season.

D-men will be essentially the same on the right side with Seth, Murphy, and Zaitsev and a couple other guys. The left side will be much different with the loss or arguably their best d-men Jake McCabe. Caleb Jones is gone which may be addition by subtraction but the rest of the LD's is Tinordy and a few young guys. It will depend on how well and quickly the young LD's play. Summary = may end up being slightly better or slightly worse but nothing significant enough to move the needle.

Forwards: Obviously Bedard is the wildcard. Reichel with a full season should be a plus. Domi's production will be missed and even though K&T weren't the same as old but still produced points that won't be there this season. Summary = unknown depending on how Bedard does.

Last season they got 59 points. I can't see them doing much better than 65'ish points.
Agree generally with most.

Goaltending Mrazek was fairly healthy (for him at least) and Stalock flatout stole multiple games for us. I'm going to guess that goaltending is fairly close with a better chance of being slightly worse (Marazek hurt more and Soderblom having some growing pains).

D you replace McCabe/Caleb Jones/Jack Johnson with multiple kids none of which have played more than 21 NHL games. There are going to be growing pains in year one even if these kids hit our wildest expectations (which won't be for a season if not 2 or 3). Murphy played 80 games last season and had not been above 57 the prior 4 seasons....odds are he is not hitting 80 this.

F Bedard very well could be a point a game right out of the gate....but still think the net of even that Bedard, Hall, Perry, Foligno, Reichel for Kane, Toews, Domi is a wash to slight improvement at best.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Pittsburgh and Washington finished 2nd and 4th worst in the league with Crosby/Ovie putting up 100+ points. So a top 5 pick seems to be precedent. Top 5 gets us great lottery odds as well.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_6604.gif

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I think in an ideal world we pick top5 with our pick and target a franchise dman (Leshunov?) then round out our top six forwards with Tampas pick around 11-15

Reactions: Muffinalt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad