F Max Reinhart (2010, 64th, CGY; traded to NSH)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Really like the kid. I don't see a 2nd liner, but he could definitely turn out to be a Curtis Glencross-type. A guy that can play on that third line, kill penalties, play physical and still come out with a 20-25 goal season.

TylerSVT*

Can someone on here explain why everyone thinks Reinhart is going to be an NHL player for the Flames?

It seems like he is quoted in every thread, even as a possible call-up this year.

The guy sucks, he has almost 0 offensive instincts, isnt as great as once though defensively, and he isnt big.

I am getting real tired of people saying he is a good Flames Prospect.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Can someone on here explain why everyone thinks Reinhart is going to be an NHL player for the Flames?

It seems like he is quoted in every thread, even as a possible call-up this year.

The guy sucks, he has almost 0 offensive instincts, isnt as great as once though defensively, and he isnt big.

Uh who's been talking about Max Reinhart? I haven't seen his name around for a while.

I don't know much about him. He started on the 3rd line in the AHL, playing against opponents' top lines and racked up a pretty big minus.

His numbers got better after he was moved into the top-6.

The only way they'd call him up is if they lost another centre.

Offensively Calgary's whole farm team has been a disaster. Some of that's related to talent; some is related to Ward who seems to want to kill any offensive instincts any player shows.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

He is not a good prospect...just a good Flames prospect ;)

Compare to Nemisz, Howse and Wahl...he is NHL ready

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Well, for starters my comment above your post is from over 2 years ago....so...

TylerSVT*

Uh who's been talking about Max Reinhart? I haven't seen his name around for a while.

I don't know much about him. He started on the 3rd line in the AHL, playing against opponents' top lines and racked up a pretty big minus.

His numbers got better after he was moved into the top-6.

The only way they'd call him up is if they lost another centre.

Offensively Calgary's whole farm team has been a disaster. Some of that's related to talent; some is related to Ward who seems to want to kill any offensive instincts any player shows.

Ive just seen his name pop up lots in thread about how Calgarys drafting is better and that they hope Reinhart makes the team next year. Guy is a career AHL player, doubt he ever makes the bigs.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Ive just seen his name pop up lots in thread about how Calgarys drafting is better and that they hope Reinhart makes the team next year. Guy is a career AHL player, doubt he ever makes the bigs.

Based on 1 season at age 20 on one of the least offensive teams in the ahl :laugh:

Gary83*

I get that you're down on Reinhart. But no player will look good when compared to the almighty Joe Piskula.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Pay no mind to Tyler SVT, he's stilled we traded to ever talented Piskula for McGrattan.

I love how if someone questions this rudderless ship they're attacked and ridiculed on these forums. Questioning the addition of McGratton is perfectly reasonable. McGratton is well below RPL and Piskula is essentially a RP. So really, it's a bad trade even if you don't measure their respective upsides.

On Reinhart. I liked his game in Junior, it doesn't appear to have transferred all that well to the pros. Hopefully he can find his groove, we need some of our centermen not named Backlund to start panning out.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I love how if someone questions this rudderless ship they're attacked and ridiculed on these forums. Questioning the addition of McGratton is perfectly reasonable. McGratton is well below RPL and Piskula is essentially a RP. So really, it's a bad trade even if you don't measure their respective upsides.

On Reinhart. I liked his game in Junior, it doesn't appear to have transferred all that well to the pros. Hopefully he can find his groove, we need some of our centermen not named Backlund to start panning out.

I think it's a good idea to give prospects an automatic pass for their first transitional season into any new league. It's a very different environment, and they often have a reduced role (e.g. Reinhart, who started in the bottom six for the first 20 games of the season and got little-to-no PP time).

I watched all of the Heat games available during the lockout, and Reinhart definitely has some positive aspects to his game. He's a smart player with good instincts, but he needs to get faster/stronger, and he initially was playing very tentatively.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Ward is the confidence killer.

Reinhart played ~7 minutes a night on the 4th line before the lockout ended. Completely mishandled.

He has the ability to be a 3rd liner in the NHL, but changes need to be made on the farm for that to happen.

TylerSVT*

Ward is the confidence killer.

Reinhart played ~7 minutes a night on the 4th line before the lockout ended. Completely mishandled.

He has the ability to be a 3rd liner in the NHL, but changes need to be made on the farm for that to happen.

Sometimes i wonder if Ward is not the coach we need to develop players down in the AHL.

I apologize if i seem down on Reinhart, i just dont like Flames fans claiming he could be a call-up, or that he is going to be a legit 2nd liner some day. I just dont see it.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I watched the Marlies game live over the weekend and he looked alright. Was creating some chances, using his speed to get separation in the neutral zone, he was one of the more effective Heat forwards, I thought.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Sometimes i wonder if Ward is not the coach we need to develop players down in the AHL.

I apologize if i seem down on Reinhart, i just dont like Flames fans claiming he could be a call-up, or that he is going to be a legit 2nd liner some day. I just dont see it.

It has been a problem for years. The statistics are very telling.

Ben Walter was a 70 point AHL player before coming to Abbotsford. He has 34 points in 54 Games this season...
Ben Street is coming of a 27 goal, 57 point season and has 12 goals and 32 points this season....
Paul Byron came to Calgary coming off a 26 goal, 53 point season in the AHL. He is now under a 0.5 PPG player since arriving in Abbotsford....
Greg Nemisz was the Heat's best player in his rookie season. He has 7 points in 42 games this season..
Blair Jones was a PPG player the last time he played in the AHL. He has 1 point in 8 games since clearing waivers...

The list goes on and on... These players come to our affiliate only to have their offensive games depleted and confidence killed. It is a major reason why we have struggled to produce NHL talent. It is completely unacceptable.

Ryan Howse, Paul Byron, Greg Nemisz, Michael Ferland, Mitch Wahl, Max Reinhart, and Roman Horak, etc... were all extremely productive and dominant Junior players that have all had extreme difficulties finding their offensive game at the next level. Our organization clearly does not know how to properly develop these talents. You can draft skill all you want, but if you can't develop it properly then you are fighting a losing cause.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010

Ben Walter was a 70 point AHL player before coming to Abbotsford. He has 34 points in 54 Games this season...
Ben Street is coming of a 27 goal, 57 point season and has 12 goals and 32 points this season....
Paul Byron came to Calgary coming off a 26 goal, 53 point season in the AHL. He is now under a 0.5 PPG player since arriving in Abbotsford....
Greg Nemisz was the Heat's best player in his rookie season. He has 7 points in 42 games this season..
Blair Jones was a PPG player the last time he played in the AHL. He has 1 point in 8 games since clearing waivers...

The list goes on and on... These players come to our affiliate only to have their offensive games depleted and confidence killed. It is a major reason why we have struggled to produce NHL talent. It is completely unacceptable.

Ryan Howse, Paul Byron, Greg Nemisz, Michael Ferland, Mitch Wahl, Max Reinhart, and Roman Horak, etc... were all extremely productive and dominant Junior players that have all had extreme difficulties finding their offensive game at the next level. Our organization clearly does not know how to properly develop these talents. You can draft skill all you want, but if you can't develop it properly then you are fighting a losing cause.

I think Max is the perfect example of this.

When he came up after his WHL season ended last year, he was the Heat's best player. He played with unreal confidence. Remember his bank-pass behind the net to free up some space, pass it out front for a gorgeous assist?

Completely different this year. I don't understand it. It's just unbelievably frustrating. He has all the tools to be a solid, everyday centre in the NHL.

There are many problems this franchise needs to deal with, but to me, this is the starting point. Having draft picks is useless if you can't develop them once they reach the pros.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I am starting to turn against Ward a bit, but I think you are really blowing things out of proportion. Ward is a problem, but only half of it. The other half is the players simply aren't that talented.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Many were before they played for Ward, seems like a common domination is Ward.
Many players in every organization go from a good offensive player in the CHL to struggling in the AHL for a year or 2. It also seems like people want to blame ward for players being out of shape and getting hurt. Ferland and Howse are examples of guys who's fitness levels aren't ready for pro hockey, it should be telling that Ferland was also benched by the Utah coach.

Nemisz has been hurt alot the last 2 seasons and now that he is healthy and playing better is getting more ice-time (as is Reinhart).

Horak wasn't a great offensive player in junior, he was good but far from dominant and it was under Ward that he went on his goal scoring tear to start the season that raised everyone's expectations of him.

Reinhart was being used in a defensive role to start the year because of having veterans like Walter and Street. But Ward always trusted him against other teams top players and on the PK. Now that his offensive game is coming around he has gotten more ice-time.

Ward gives ice-time on merit. If a player doesn't deserve to play he will bench them and move them down in the lineup. This is actually a good thing since it teaches them that they won't just have opportunities handed to them.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Many players in every organization go from a good offensive player in the CHL to struggling in the AHL for a year or 2. It also seems like people want to blame ward for players being out of shape and getting hurt. Ferland and Howse are examples of guys who's fitness levels aren't ready for pro hockey, it should be telling that Ferland was also benched by the Utah coach.

Nemisz has been hurt alot the last 2 seasons and now that he is healthy and playing better is getting more ice-time (as is Reinhart).

Horak wasn't a great offensive player in junior, he was good but far from dominant and it was under Ward that he went on his goal scoring tear to start the season that raised everyone's expectations of him.

Reinhart was being used in a defensive role to start the year because of having veterans like Walter and Street. But Ward always trusted him against other teams top players and on the PK. Now that his offensive game is coming around he has gotten more ice-time.

Ward gives ice-time on merit. If a player doesn't deserve to play he will bench them and move them down in the lineup. This is actually a good thing since it teaches them that they won't just have opportunities handed to them.

You're right, it's not all Ward's fault. Blame should go as well to the Flames (lack of) development coaches during the off-season. In addition, players like Ben Walter and Kolanos shouldn't even be on the team to be taking ice time away from actual prospects.

Even Baertschi, who started the season red hot, began to slow down and show confidence issues around the 20 game mark. Ward is a serious problem and I can only hope that he's not back next year. But that won't solve all of our issues, as you have mentioned as well.

Yeah, some of these prospects aren't super talented, but when every single one of them falls short, you have to look at Ward. Horak, Reinhart, and Baertschi are all far better than what they've shown in Abbotsford. Byron came to this team as a small, speedy top 6 forward who simply cannot play in the bottom 6. Now he's not scoring, so he's completely useless. A wasted asset.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You can't see confidence issues. But I guess you are probably one of those people that believed Bouwmeester didn't care because you couldn't read it on his face while he was smashing his against the boards. Baertschi was outright struggling when he got hurt, it wasn't a confidence thing, he was trying to do too much.

I suppose this should be discussed in the Flames section though.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I am starting to turn against Ward a bit, but I think you are really blowing things out of proportion. Ward is a problem, but only half of it. The other half is the players simply aren't that talented.

I think you misunderstood my intentions of the post. I was by no means piling all of the blame on Ward's shoulders individually (I do think he is part of the problem), but more so pointing out that these are persistent issues that have hampered our organization for years now. I used recent examples because it is blatantly obvious that the majority of the players on the Heat are massively underachieving offensively.

It starts at the top and trickles down. I have no idea why Ron Sutter and Todd Button are still around after continuously failing to draft and develop high end talent.

I know some strides have been made in these respects over the past few seasons, (I love the additions of Weisbrod and Goulet specifically) but we need to push the envelope even further and start seeing some on ice results.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think you misunderstood my intentions of the post. I was by no means piling all of the blame on Ward's shoulders individually (I do think he is part of the problem), but more so pointing out that these are persistent issues that have hampered our organization for years now. I used recent examples because it is blatantly obvious that the majority of the players on the Heat are massively underachieving offensively.

It starts at the top and trickles down. I have no idea why Ron Sutter and Todd Button are still around after continuously failing to draft and develop high end talent.

I know some strides have been made in these respects over the past few seasons, (I love the additions of Weisbrod and Goulet specifically) but we need to push the envelope even further and start seeing some on ice results.
Ron Sutter hasn't been a scout for the Flames for a couple years now, he has been involved in player development with rumors he would like to get into coaching.

Button may have been the head scout under Sutter, but Sutter was 100% in charge of the 1st round of the draft. After the 1st round the Flames haven't been any worse than any other team. Feaster unlike Sutter is listing to Button and the other scouts, this is why we have seen such a change in philosophy the past 2 drafts.

I think the on ice results will start showing either next year or the following year, because we have to keepin mind that the only Feaster drafted player that has gone pro so far is Baertschi. Abbotsford should see Brossoit, Wotherspoon, Granlund and Culkin added to that next season. Along with the possibility of one of Button's later picks in Ramage. It's 2014-15 where we start seeing the payoff though IMO, those players will have a year of pro under their belts, Seiloff, Arnold and others will graduate to pro.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
2nd line two-way C is his max upside,bit a very good 3rd C is more Likely...I would love to see him reach his potential though...if Calgary draft one if Mackinnon/Barkov I could see there future Centre depth looking like this

1st-Mackinnon/Barkov
2nd-Rienhart
3rd-Backlund

that my 2 cents...hope it helps

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
2nd line two-way C is his max upside,bit a very good 3rd C is more Likely...I would love to see him reach his potential though...if Calgary draft one if Mackinnon/Barkov I could see there future Centre depth looking like this

1st-Mackinnon/Barkov
2nd-Rienhart
3rd-Backlund

that my 2 cents...hope it helps

Backlund already is a 2nd line center. His two way play,wrist shot, and speed put him there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad