F Konsta Helenius - Jukurit, FIN Liiga (2024 Draft)

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Apparently Helenius was Finland's best player against Germany according to fancy stats.

Well, that´s always something. Still, not that impressive for the eye and still, no points even when facing a country like Germany. Nothing bad about Germany but you get my point.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Not going to overreact to a WJC.. Even EP40 wasn't particularly impressive there in his draft year.

But he's not alleviating some concerns that you'd like to see alleviated playing against a similar age group.
It's obviously less than ideal that he hasn't produced points, but I am not inclined to judge 17 yo too harshly when he is clearly best player on his team at u20s.

Reactions: rt

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Not going to overreact to a WJC.. Even EP40 wasn't particularly impressive there in his draft year.

But he's not alleviating some concerns that you'd like to see alleviated playing against a similar age group.
When will people learn smh. No disrespect to you but the same people making these comments were saying Lafreniere was second coming of Patrick Kane and that Byfield was garbage after the 2020 Wjs.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
He isn't as bad as he seems in the WJC atm, but if i was a GM i wouldnt pick him in the top10. Coaching is so disgusting for the finnish WJC team that early exit is not Helenius's fault. But then again he couldnt carry the team so maybe somewhere like 15-25 range someone takes a chance on him. Then again 0+0 is 0, maybe 2nd round?

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
It's obviously less than ideal that he hasn't produced points, but I am not inclined to judge 17 yo too harshly when he is clearly best player on his team at u20s.
Clearly? WHAT!?

Jani Nyman has been their best player, he is the only guy that can consistently get high quality chances. Hameeanaho, Karki, Kaskimäki and Lassila have all played better and shown more offensive prowess. What are you watching?

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Is there really a need to push the panic button after 2 games with a mess of a team when he's been great in Liiga? Obviously I want to see more from him here, but apart from maybe Hämeenaho the whole team has been unimpressive and disjointed.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Clearly? WHAT!?

Jani Nyman has been their best player, he is the only guy that can consistently get high quality chances. Hameeanaho, Karki, Kaskimäki and Lassila have all played better and shown more offensive prowess. What are you watching?
i watched canada game, didn't see germany as i assumed it would be easy win. so not great call there. and maybe is only 2nd best forward. he is getting loads of ice time and looks like he belongs. it's not his fault team is struggling and he would look much better if the team around him was playing better.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Who ever drafts Helenius next summer i hope it is a team who's got excellent contacts to CHL teams.
Olli Jokinen is not coaching Jukurit next year so it is not right place to develop for Helenius.

CHL is superior development league over SM liiga today.
So the NHL team who's prospect Helenius will be should put him to OHL / QMJHL / WHL.

Finnish player development and junior coaching is pathetic joke today.
If you want evidences watch Finland's U20 WJC games.

If CHL is not option for Helenius then loan him to Sweden
but don't ever loan him SM liiga because then Helenius will not develop.

Clearly? WHAT!?

Kaskimäki played well in HIFK before U20 WJC's that's why he's doing OK.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He isn't as bad as he seems in the WJC atm, but if i was a GM i wouldnt pick him in the top10. Coaching is so disgusting for the finnish WJC team that early exit is not Helenius's fault. But then again he couldnt carry the team so maybe somewhere like 15-25 range someone takes a chance on him. Then again 0+0 is 0, maybe 2nd round?
We'll see.

But it is not a secret that brain-dead and clueless bozo coach named Lauri Mikkola
is not doing any favors for Helenius draft number and stock.

If it was my decision Mikkola would've been fired immidiately after Germany game
every Finnish fan hates Mikkola around internet and Finnish media.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
When will people learn smh. No disrespect to you but the same people making these comments were saying Lafreniere was second coming of Patrick Kane and that Byfield was garbage after the 2020 Wjs.

I said right at the top I'm not going go overreact to a wjc and other top prospects like Elias Pettersson weren't particularly good in their draft year tournaments, either.

You would like to see them answer some questions when playing against younger opposition but it's not the end of the world if they don't.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
We'll see.

But it is not a secret that brain-dead and clueless bozo coach named Lauri Mikkola
is not doing any favors for Helenius draft number and stock.

If it was my decision Mikkola would've been fired immidiately after Germany game
every Finnish fan hates Mikkola around internet and Finnish media.
Wouldn't have to fire him if he wasn't hired in the first place, the downhill on Finnish U-20 coaches is disgusting.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Wouldn't have to fire him if he wasn't hired in the first place, the downhill on Finnish U-20 coaches is disgusting.
Mikkola got his coaching job in U20 team Finland
only because he was able to lick and kiss right ass-ses right time.

What comes to Konsta Helenius i hope that who-ever drafts him
puts him to play and develop in AHL / OHL or Sweden next season.
SM liiga totally wrong place for him for a season 2024-2025.

Olli Jokinen is not going to coach Jukurit next year
and rumors are telling that Jokinen goes to SHL to Timrå IK's head coach

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Mikkola got his coaching job in U20 team Finland
only because he was able to lick and kiss right ass-ses right time.

What comes to Konsta Helenius i hope that who-ever drafts him
puts him to play and develop in AHL / OHL or Sweden next season.
SM liiga totally wrong place for him for a season 2024-2025.

Olli Jokinen is not going to coach Jukurit next year
and rumors are telling that Jokinen goes to SHL to Timrå IK's head coach
Agree on all 3

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
How would he compare to Kemell?
Not similar at all.

Helenius was good today, more of a cool playmaker with good iq. Need to se more of him though. Looks more like a future center.

Kemell was always more of a shoot first kind of guy and perhaps somewhat of a dangler when younger. Winger.

Last but not least, Kemell was very impressive at the same age and scored a whole lot and showed some skill etc. But seeing Helenius game against Sweden makes be believe he could have just as much potential or if not even higher potential in the longer run. Still a bit difficult to evaluate. He needs at least one more good game in this tournament to convince me.
If he will make it and develop and become a successful NHLer it will be as a top6 kind of guy using his IQ and skill. Not that physical at least not yet and not that fast.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
54% of Helenius's points in Liiga are PP points. That's a pretty high percentage. He has been good in Liiga this season, but not as good as his point totals are showing.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
54% of Helenius's points in Liiga are PP points. That's a pretty high percentage. He has been good in Liiga this season, but not as good as his point totals are showing.
Still impressive nonetheless.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I don't think Helenius's offensive upside is very high. His shot and passing aren't anything special. Good shifty skater with decent speed, good hands, good two-way play and good in transition, but there's a lack of high-end offensive tools. I think his upside as an NHL player is 2C.

I think he will be an NHL player and a center because of how well rounded his game is, but he probably won't be a star player.

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I don't think Helenius's offensive upside is very high. His shot and passing aren't anything special. Good shifty skater with decent speed, good hands, good two-way play and good in transition, but there's a lack of high-end offensive tools. I think his upside as an NHL player is 2C.

I think it's very hard to predict players based on their production in Liiga. Aho, Hintz and Rantanen for example didn't look like elite goal scorers in Finland but become good scorers once they left for NHL. The trapping and defensive game is so different here that it leaves players with very liitle room to do anything skillfull.

Reactions: OKR and Blueston

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I think it's very hard to predict players based on their production in Liiga. Aho, Hintz and Rantanen for example didn't look like elite goal scorers in Finland but become good scorers once they left for NHL. The trapping and defensive game is so different here that it leaves players with very liitle room to do anything skillfull.
Yes. But what about Kakko, Kotkaniemi and Lundell. They scored in Liiga. Can't score much in NHL.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Difficult to predict. You both guys have some good points to be fair.
I actually don't see him as the best skater based on the WJC's. But then again, he was a bit younger so not a big a worry for now. He really needs to improve his shot so that he can become productive because for me, he's a bit of a Lundell kind of a prospect right now with a weaker shot at the same age. Then again, he could also become a light version of Aho or Bäckis.
The similarity with Lundell is not that good of a skater imho, perhaps a bit better than Lundell was. Not as effective or able to shoot the puck and I always liked Lundells mentality. But, I do think Helenius has some serious cheekiness with the puck. I do see a upside in his ability to become a playmaker based on creativity, the ability to stay calm and actually his pretty easy going personality. He seems chill and to have some flow in his aura. Reminds me almost more of a swede in that way lol.
And that's why I believe in him. A good second or third center. With the possibility to become your first guy in a weaker organization in the beginning.

These comparisons are quite difficult to make. They are all unique in many ways imo.
Kakko was always a complete beast as a prospect, strong with good stickhandling and he shined back in Finland but he got a bit mishandled in Rangers. Also, I always got a good person and a bit to kind and soft for his own best- impression of him. Amongst these Finnish prospects he stood out in that way.
Both Lundell and Aho gave me a more determined impression. Aho being a better skater of course. Lundell on the other hand, got a two-way or perhaps even a defensive role pretty early on? Behind Barkov and bigger names, perhaps not the easiest or best development path always? I mean the same could be said about prospects getting drafted by the Sabres. The organization makes a lot of difference, and probably more than most seem to think. I mean if your not a bonafide star like Bedard, McDavid, Hughes, Eichel, Matthews and others? Then it matters a whole lot.
Kotkaniemi, the guy is so uneven it's not funny. Perhaps a bit rushed to be honest. Should have played one more WJC and perhaps one more year in Liiga or at least in the AHL. Montreal seem to be rushing some prospects lately...

Back to the point. I would love seeing Helenius getting picked by Flyers. If he gets some speed and good shooters on his wings? I believe he has the potential to make them and himself shine. They don't have the biggest names now and prospects like Michkov and Tuomaala are intriguing and their abilities are something that I believe would match Helenius strengths.
Thing is, with him I do think the potential is there but not a sure bet by any means. Depends on the organization and how serious and good they are at developing him.

I truly wish him the best and that he works hard on his shot and skating. Already looking forward if he can make a greater impact in next years WJC for Finland and become a leader.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

I think he will be an NHL player and a center because of how well rounded his game is, but he probably won't be a star player.
Thats a weak year for fowards, very few have top line potential IMO. Celebrini of course, then Demidov has the skills to be one, possibly even an elite foward, but he has holes to his game and is somewhat in the same situation as Michkov, SKA will do anything to retain him long term.

Then Lindstrom, who Ive been very high on for a while, I do think he has top line upside, at worst a very solid top 6 who helps you to win games.

After that its wishful thinking to grab a top line foward IMO, if you can get a good 2-way center who ends up centering your 2nd line and get around 60 pts per year, its already that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad