F Konsta Helenius - Jukurit, FIN Liiga (2024 Draft)

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Aho is actually a better skater.

I'd compare him to Suzuki, a high IQ player that isn't a great skater, don't have a lot of flash 'n dash in his game, but gets the job done.

Sometimes having an elite brain with good skills is better than having elite skills with average brain...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Skills level pretty similar, though Helenius has the edge in the skating category. Where Helenius clearly has the edge is how he handles the physicality of the game and how much harder he competes on 200 ft., just a never stop motor and great IQ Catton's 2-way game is somewhat overrated, you will see him glide on the backcheck and his game away from the puck needs work. Helenius is small, but strong, has no issue competing against growth men while Catton has his struggles against junior aged players.. The strength/power is what separates both players for me at that point. Its not impossible that Catton beef up and catch him up at some point, but unlikely IMO, Catton just seems to have a genetical small frame.

There is much less risks with Helenius than with Catton IMO, Helenius already projects as a solid top 6 center while Catton has the talent level to be one, but remains a long shot and is more likely to end up as a winger than a center.

I have Helenius a tier above, Catton in the 10-15 range.
Helenius must be one hell of a skater, then, because Catton is a really good skater. Not Hughes level, but just below it.

The thing with Aho when he was drafted was that he was quite slight, and GM's doubted his ability to withstand the physicality of the NHL. 2-3 years later they were kicking themselves. He was one of the players that got the league on the "size doesn't matter, skill does" kick for a while there.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
A lot of Finn high profile prospects have disappointed lately.

Puljujarvi, Juolevi, Kakko, Kotkaniemi, Heinola, Kupari, etc..

Even Patrick Laine is disappointing.

I don't know if it's just bad luck but it might affect Finn prospects in the future, on draft day.

I like Helenius though, good motor and good hockey sense.

Last edited:

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Lol always with the "not enough offensive upside" "not enough skill" just because a player isn't doing the Michigan all the time or making dekes like crazy. Pure nonsense. If you watch Helenius you clearly see that he's got good hockey IQ and that's what matters. Not some silly little dekes. Helenius got a great base to build upon and I rather have that type of player/prospect then a moron who just skates around thinking he's playing NHL24 out there.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
A lot of Finn high profile prospects have disappointed lately.
Puljujarvi, Juolevi, Kakko, Kotkaniemi, Heinola, Kupari, etc..
Even Patrick Laine is disappointing.
I don't know if it's just bad luck but it might affect Finn prospects in the future, on draft day.
I like Helenius though, good motor and good hockey sense.
Juolevi wasn't even drafted from Finland, he was a canadian OHL prospect. All of them have had their own different circumstances why they maybe fell short but you are not going to draft based on that because then you might miss drafting Barkov,Laine,Heiskanen,Aho,Hintz,Rantanen etc.. a franchise player.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Helenius must be one hell of a skater, then, because Catton is a really good skater. Not Hughes level, but just below it.

The thing with Aho when he was drafted was that he was quite slight, and GM's doubted his ability to withstand the physicality of the NHL. 2-3 years later they were kicking themselves. He was one of the players that got the league on the "size doesn't matter, skill does" kick for a while there.
Helenius feet never stop moving, he is always at the right spot in a very good men skating league. Catton doesnt have a such motor, he glides alot and I would say his skating is a notch below.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Aho is actually a better skater.

I'd compare him to Suzuki, a high IQ player that isn't a great skater, don't have a lot of flash 'n dash in his game, but gets the job done.

Sometimes having an elite brain with good skills is better than having elite skills with average brain...
Helenius is better skater than Suzuki was in juniors though. Agree about the IQ, thats really his best attribute, thats why you draft him, brain + motor + top 6 talent level.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Verbeek prefers taller players, but we're in a need of a right shot winger who can score and Pat values compete. So I think watch out for Anaheim's pick when the time comes

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
It's just silly how ready he was a year ago already. He is still finding new moves. Slick player.

He for sure has some offensive upside.

Second youngest hattrick scorer in Liiga

Reactions: HankyZetts

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Lol always with the "not enough offensive upside" "not enough skill" just because a player isn't doing the Michigan all the time or making dekes like crazy. Pure nonsense. If you watch Helenius you clearly see that he's got good hockey IQ and that's what matters. Not some silly little dekes. Helenius got a great base to build upon and I rather have that type of player/prospect then a moron who just skates around thinking he's playing NHL24 out there.
How absurd. No one is saying that.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Helenius with a 5 game pointless streak to end regular season. 2 of those games were against SaiPa (worst team in Liiga). I sure hope he's not starting to slow down just before the playoffs. I don't think he's been unlucky. Just not able to generate many chances.

Finished the regular season with 36 points in 51 games, which puts him 4th all time in Liiga U18 scoring list.

Liiga_U18.PNG

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
One of those guys you just know will be an NHLer, barring injuries and such. I saw him live earlier this season and he is just an incredibly smart player. He just seems to know where to be at all times, but also has the speed to get there. Also I think he's just learning to use his skills against adults and there's a bunch of upside here as well.

I don't follow the draft these days anymore, but if there are 10 guys that project to be better than him it's a great draft.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Helenius has played literally every single game this season at C.
He was playing wing in the game before yesterday. Still took some faceoffs. Dunno why Jokinen decided to demote him to 3rd & 4th line at the end of the season (With the exception of the last game).

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Helenius is pretty easy to project as good second line center for NHL. Worst case is probably third line center if pace causes issues. Very small chance for first line center but that would almost require Roope Hintz type of progression.

Reactions: mattihp and Jukurit

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I think Helenius is almost certainly an NHL player because of his 2-way play, smarts and compete. But he's lacking in high-end skill, so his upside isn't very high. I think he will be 2-way center in NHL and score 40-60 points in a season. Very small chance he busts and very small chance he becomes a star player.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I think Helenius is almost certainly an NHL player because of his 2-way play, smarts and compete. But he's lacking in high-end skill, so his upside isn't very high. I think he will be 2-way center in NHL and score 40-60 points in a season. Very small chance he busts and very small chance he becomes a star player.
Yeah, he is probably not gonna be elite point producer but should be a really good supporting type of center with that 40-60 point range being quite realistic. Second line power play, second line center kind of two-way guy who still has offensive threat to his name.

Reactions: Jukurit

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Is he for sure a center?
I could see Anaheim being interested in him as we need right handed forwards and he seems to have the smarts and work ethic that our franchise likes. But can't imagine us willing him to be a center given our pipeline

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Is he for sure a center?
I could see Anaheim being interested in him as we need right handed forwards and he seems to have the smarts and work ethic that our franchise likes. But can't imagine us willing him to be a center given our pipeline
I'm pretty sure Helenius will be center in NHL. He's got good 2-way play. Smart and competitive. Good in transition. Only concern is size, but he plays bigger than he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad