F Konsta Helenius - Jukurit, FIN Liiga (2024 Draft)

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Kid is definitely flying under the radar. Seems more well-rounded than Kemell and Lundell

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Suomen NHL-suurlupaus Konsta Helenius, 17, löi isänsä kanssa vedon, joka kertoo kaiken – ”Alkoi käydä iskää sääliksi” Suomen NHL-suurlupaus Konsta Helenius, 17, löi isänsä kanssa vedon, joka kertoo kaiken – ”Alkoi käydä iskää sääliksi”

Good article about Konsta. Finally seems to be getting some attention in the Finnish media.

Seems like there is barely any active Finnish guys hyping the Finns here on Hfboards. Kakko, Laine, Pulju etc had thousands of messages before the draft, Helenius doesn't even have 100.

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
Seems like there is barely any active Finnish guys hyping the Finns here on Hfboards. Kakko, Laine, Pulju etc had thousands of messages before the draft, Helenius doesn't even have 100.
Thank god. Us finns overhyping our prospects is embarassing and also usually results in said prospects busting.

Reactions: Meuracas

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Suomen NHL-suurlupaus Konsta Helenius, 17, löi isänsä kanssa vedon, joka kertoo kaiken – ”Alkoi käydä iskää sääliksi” Suomen NHL-suurlupaus Konsta Helenius, 17, löi isänsä kanssa vedon, joka kertoo kaiken – ”Alkoi käydä iskää sääliksi”

Good article about Konsta. Finally seems to be getting some attention in the Finnish media.

There was a lot of hype for Finnish prospects for a while, but the Finnish prospects have mainly disappointed since 2017. This goes for both defensemen as well as forwards, in fact everyone but Heiskanen busted for the defensemen, pretty much. Behind Heiskanen, Finland's defensemen are worse than ever.

Who has been a positive surprise? Matias Maccelli, I guess. That's seriously not that amazing.

At this point, I'm expecting prospects from Liiga to bust until they prove otherwise. Lambert is currently promising, though.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Considering how the past few top Fin prospects have panned out, that might be a good idea.

Reactions: Meuracas

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
He looked very good yesterday.

I don't know why but I always thought he was taller.

I love his stick clapping when he wants to shoot.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Very unimpressed. This draft class is very weak. Celebrini was also unimpressive. Only 1 game however

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Is it possible folks are suffering from Connor Bedard hangovers? I’m remembering Nathan MacKinnon and Aaron Ekblad.
Nope. He’s been given the opportunity and hasn‘t produced. It’d be a different story if he was given bottom6 and no PP, but he has been given a ton of ice. He should be showing flashes even at his age but nothing so far.

Look at Brandsegg Nygard and Celebrini, two kids that are showing flashes of offensive potential.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Nope. He’s been given the opportunity and hasn‘t produced. It’d be a different story if he was given bottom6 and no PP, but he has been given a ton of ice. He should be showing flashes even at his age but nothing so far.

Look at Brandsegg Nygard and Celebrini, two kids that are showing flashes of offensive potential.

We can agree that Helenius isn't helping his stock with his current performance at the WJCs, but I think it is unfair to lay the blame entirely at his feet for the lack of production.

Nor should we base our scouting on him only on those WJC games without taking into account how great Helenius has looked playing center in Liiga this year.

Fact of the matter is that the whole finnish roster has been more than snakebitten this WJC so far on the albeit few offensive opportunities that they have created. And it is difficult in those situations to start putting up points for any player, nevermind a 17 year-old draft year center that is also trying to play a good 200-foot game.

Moreso even when you consider that Finland just faced one of the three favourites to start the WJCs, then confronted a better-coached, more cohesive, and physically stronger german team that had a massive chip on its collective shoulders immediately after a tough loss that they were competitive in until the first empty-net goal by Canada.

Nevertheless, looking closer at Helenius during the tourney without minding the scoresheet and boxscore, you can see his good attention to detail offensively and defensively, how well he skates and supports his teammates when they have control of the puck, his impressive handling skills in-tight, deft passing, underrated shooting skills, and good reads.

Suffice to say, I think Konsta Helenius is still a very easy top-10 pick come next Summer and definitely tracks to be a good top-6 forward at the NHL level for the team that drafts him.

Reactions: Blueston

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Nevertheless, looking closer at Helenius during the tourney without minding the scoresheet and boxscore, you can see his good attention to detail offensively and defensively, how well he skates and supports his teammates when they have control of the puck, his impressive handling skills in-tight, deft passing, underrated shooting skills, and good reads.

Suffice to say, I think Konsta Helenius is still a very easy top-10 pick come next Summer and definitely tracks to be a good top-6 forward at the NHL level for the team that drafts him.
No, and no. No matter if the team and coach is bad, he's been actually bad on his own. No fire. Slow, holding the puck not able to create anything worth mentioning. While not being able to create anything special he hasn't even been contributing in other aspects of the game, puck battles, or distinguishing intensity and- or work rate.

He's just been very meh in every aspect at best. Hasn't excelled in any way. I mean give another player the opportunity and if they aren't that much worse? Then that there says something. Because this Finnish offense isn't stacked or that talented.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad