F Konsta Helenius - Jukurit, FIN Liiga (2024 Draft)

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Most young kids who play in european pro leagues are just holding on for dear life. Chipping in a few points here and there, trying to not make a blunder. That's not Konsta. Konsta is on the Liiga level to start the season. It'll be interesting to see where he's at by the end.

He's physical and competitive, he wins puck battles, he gets to pucks first, he's generally ahead of the play. He thinks the game at a higher level than most kids. For instance, last game he caused a grade A scoring chance just by choosing his forechecking route correctly. Because of that, the puck carrier had nowhere to go, ended up making a mistake and Jukurit were off to the races. The only question I have going forward is whether he has the tools to be a high level NHLer. He's not terribly fast, he's shifty, but not exactly a waterbug, he has good hands but he's not a wizard with the puck, he's not a very big guy.

I think he sees the game a lot better than Hemming, but Hemming is substantially bigger, faster, stronger, and has a better shot.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Helenius started the season playing very good, but he was unlucky that he didn't get more points. In recent games he's been pretty invisible outside of PP. Team as a whole has been playing worse too.

Stats so far: 5 points, 4 goals in 12 games. 3 PP points. 12.5% shooting percentage. 4% on-ice shooting percentage (unlucky). 59.8% Corsi. 16:53 TOI.

Reactions: slumpy43

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
What I find most impressive about Helenius is his skating ability. It's not his speed or explosiveness, but his shiftiness and agility. Ability to quickly change directions and ability weave his way around opposing players. It's nice to have a Finnish top prospect who can actually skate good (and also not have hockey IQ issues).

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Not too much buzz about him, but seems to be on the right track. Point totals aren't eye-popping but solid, and he's looking good again in today's game, he's improved a lot in puck battles.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Not too much buzz about him, but seems to be on the right track. Point totals aren't eye-popping but solid, and he's looking good again in today's game, he's improved a lot in puck battles.
I suspect my team the Flyers will pick around 7-12 this year right in the range of Helenius and I’d be perfectly happy with that. If he hits his ceiling could be an Aho type player!

• Love
Reactions: Svedu

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Hope Flyers pick him. I would love to see him and Michkov in the same line in the future. Wowzers!

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
He's begun to really dictate the play in the last few games I've seen. Showing that he has great instincts to go with his skating and hands. Kind of looks like Lambert in juniors, except Helenius has much better overall awareness and is a puck hound on the forecheck.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He's begun to really dictate the play in the last few games I've seen. Showing that he has great instincts to go with his skating and hands. Kind of looks like Lambert in juniors, except Helenius has much better overall awareness and is a puck hound on the forecheck.

Agreed. Tonight's game was just okay outside of his second assist, but I've also noticed a change in his play the last couple games. Before he was Doing Good Things™ but now he's able to create scoring chances out of nowhere, and manipulate defences. By the end of the season he might well have cracked the code.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Helenius now leads his Liiga team in goals and is tied first in points.

8 goals, 16 points in 22 games.

Both of his goals from Ilves game. Second one was especially nice:

I was watching him round the net before his second goal and said to myself ''okay Konsta, let's see some magic.'' Well, there it is.

Reactions: king89 and Jukurit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad