Lafreniere Peak?

Lafreniere has arrive. How good can he be?

• Top 5 NHL Player

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Top 10 NHL Player

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Top 25 NHL Player

Votes: 40 17.9%
  • Top 50 NHL Player

Votes: 49 21.9%
  • 1st Line Player

Votes: 78 34.8%
  • 2nd Line Player

Votes: 45 20.1%

• Total voters

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Maybe the wrong word. He plays with snarl, chippiness. He is a dirtbag in the sense of how baseball players use it as a compliment. He hits, he gets in faces, he doesnt take shit, and he is good at sneaky/borderline stuff that, again, a lot of the beat players are good at.

He set the tone in the first series this playoffs by casually crushing a D into the boards, retrieving the puck, and flipping out a beautiful setup pass for a primary assist.
Funny, I think he's not really physical. Not vanilla soft but not a guy dman fear on the forecheck at least not on a nightly basis

Last edited:

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Funny, I think he's not really physical. Not vanilla soft but not a guy dman fear on the forecheck at least not on a nightly basis
I am not talking about making dmen fear him, big time thumper like lindros or something.

This is the hit i was talking about, game 1. Secondary assist though i got that part wrong.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
funny enough, i think laf could peak similar to taylor hall... but i don't think his prime will overlap with a lull in league talent that lets him win the hart.

he's been impressive for the rangers tonight.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
Definitely not top 25 player. Can be a solid 1st liner but I just can't see him being top 25. I can make a list of young players who will forever be better than him. He's a great player but he's not a game breaking talent which you need to crack the top 25.
I don't disagree, but just for fun and for the sake of discussion, wanna share that list?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That’s only because of Panarin

You have no f***ing clue what you're talking about. If his name were Lafrenierov and Panarin was Panara you wouldn't say stupid shit like that. Seriously, your posts are pravda level Russian propaganda.

Also, I'm in a f***ing bad mood for this shit. GOOD PLAYERS PLAY WITH GOOD PLAYERS ALL THE TIME. BRAYDEN POINT PLAYS WITH f***ING KUCHEROV AND RANTANEN PLAYS WITH f***ING MACKINNON. THIS IDEA THAT YOU HAVE TO PLAY WITH SCRUBS TO BE GOOD ONLY f***ING APPLIES TO LAFRENIERE FOR SOME REASON.

Last edited:

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
You have no f***ing clue what you're talking about. If his name were Lafrenierov and Panarin was Panara you wouldn't say stupid shit like that. Seriously, your posts are pravda level Russian propaganda.

Also, I'm in a f***ing bad mood for this shit. GOOD PLAYERS PLAY WITH GOOD PLAYERS ALL THE TIME. BRAYDEN POINT PLAYS WITH f***ING KUCHEROV AND RANTENAN PLAYS WITH f***ING MACKINNON. THIS IDEA THAT YOU HAVE TO PLAY WITH SCRUBS TO BE GOOD ONLY f***ING APPLIES TO LAFRENIERE FOR SOME REASON.
don't fall for the shtick"erov"

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think he becomes a top 25 player but wouldn’t be surprised if he’s top 10.

The amount of people calling him a bust when he was the same age as a junior in college was shocking. But also not that shocking

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Also, I'm in a f***ing bad mood for this shit. GOOD PLAYERS PLAY WITH GOOD PLAYERS ALL THE TIME. BRAYDEN POINT PLAYS WITH f***ING KUCHEROV AND RANTENAN PLAYS WITH f***ING MACKINNON. THIS IDEA THAT YOU HAVE TO PLAY WITH SCRUBS TO BE GOOD ONLY f***ING APPLIES TO LAFRENIERE FOR SOME REASON.
Hell yeah, you tell em!

Some whopper takes in this thread.

"Second line player at best."

He's already a second line player at worst.

Also, he's very physical.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
As i have been saying for… weeks? Months? 32 year olds don’t typically have runaway career years, blowing out all their previous best totals, especialy when they were already perennial all star level. I am very confident that laf has as much to do with panarin’s year as vice versa.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey

Also, I'm in a f***ing bad mood for this shit. GOOD PLAYERS PLAY WITH GOOD PLAYERS ALL THE TIME. BRAYDEN POINT PLAYS WITH f***ING KUCHEROV AND RANTANEN PLAYS WITH f***ING MACKINNON. THIS IDEA THAT YOU HAVE TO PLAY WITH SCRUBS TO BE GOOD ONLY f***ING APPLIES TO LAFRENIERE FOR SOME REASON.

First overall picks should be able to produce offense regardless of who they play with. Clearly not the case with laf.

Who cares about your mood lol.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
First overall picks should be able to produce offense regardless of who they play with. Clearly not the case with laf.

This is a different 1OA’s first four years. Do you think this player was worth the 1OA?

It’s mackinnon btw, who had 20 PPG in his his first 4 years to laf’s 5, and 52 EV goals to Laf’s 70.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpeg
    IMG_0505.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 2

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Except that's a dumb assumption. He couldn't produce offense in previous years when he played with bottom of the roster players. He improved immensely as a player this year, yes catapulted by playing with Panarin. He was not nearly as good in previous seasons in the short previous attempts to play with guys like Panarin. He clearly improved this year. So you have no f***ing clue how he would be if he played with third liners again. Again good players play with good players all the f***ing time. Brayden Point, Rantanen, and everyone on the perfection line must suck. Your take is uninformed and f***ing stupid.

Edit: Why does everyone act like because he wasn't great playing with third liners at 21 he will never be good at it again. And once again what good players don't play with good players? Crosby and Malkin in 2015?

Last edited:

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Hell yeah, you tell em!

Some whopper takes in this thread.

"Second line player at best."

He's already a second line player at worst.

Also, he's very physical.
Yeah really physical with 73 hits this year!!!

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Guy is already a 1st line player based on his ES production.

Should have made the results public so we can laugh at those posters who voted 2nd liner.
Or laugh at the 2 voters who said a top 5 NHL players….

Then again everyone already knows it’s Mr. Crypto boy Reinhard and Mr. Pavel buchnevich.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Or laugh at the 2 voters who said a top 5 NHL players….

Then again everyone already knows it’s Mr. Crypto boy Reinhard and Mr. Pavel buchnevich.

Considering he's already a 1st liner and therefore there's 0 chance he tops out as a 2nd liner that option is dumber than top 5 which is highly unlikely but still possible.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Considering he's already a 1st liner and therefore there's 0 chance he tops out as a 2nd liner that option is dumber than top 5 which is highly unlikely but still possible.
1st line and 2nd line are bad poll options to begin with. With the way teams balance their lines you have guys that skate on the first line that aren’t top 200 players in the league. Or even more to be honest. Casey Cizikas played the last 15 games and playoffs. skating on the Islanders first line. Is he what you would consider a first liner? If I were to run this poll for Casey you are gonna put first liner?

Also, Lafs entire line came into the year as the “2nd line”. Time on ice and depth chart. It was with increase in production towards the end of the year they are now the “1st line” if there was a change where they moved Panarin up with Zib and Kreider back with Laff would he be a 1st liner or 2nd liner??? Especially, when you would see his production fall of a cliff.

So 2 months ago he was a second liner and tomorrow he could be back to a second liner so yes it is possible pal.

I would say he caps out at top 75 -85 players

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
1st line and 2nd line are bad poll options to begin with. With the way teams balance their lines you have guys that skate on the first line that aren’t top 200 players in the league. Or even more to be honest. Casey Cizikas played the last 15 games and playoffs. skating on the Islanders first line. Is he what you would consider a first liner? If I were to run this poll for Casey you are gonna put first liner?

Also, Lafs entire line came into the year as the “2nd line”. Time on ice and depth chart. It was with increase in production towards the end of the year they are now the “1st line” if there was a change where they moved Panarin up with Zib and Kreider back with Laff would he be a 1st liner or 2nd liner??? Especially, when you would see his production fall of a cliff.

So 2 months ago he was a second liner and tomorrow he could be back to a second liner so yes it is possible pal. I know that may be a little over your head though.

I would say he caps out at top 75 -85 players

I don't think playing on a particular line makes you by default a 1st liner or 2nd liner. Whatever line you considered it, Panarin used to play with Dryden Hunt and Colin Blackwell. I think top 90ish in scoring is a 1st line worthy player. I was talking about Laf as a first liner for his even strength production. Not sure why the condescention is necessary.

Edit: I think 75-85 points is a reasonable expectation. That's Tavares level production. It's probably about the level of prospect he was. He was never supposed to be Crosby or McDavid.

Last edited:

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
I like how everyone is just ognoring that he scored more goals than MacK through their first four years, with only 5 on the PP.

It’s going to make your crying delicious when Laf ks a hart finalist in 2 years.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad