F Keith Getson - Charlottetown Islanders, QMJHL (2016 undrafted)

localfan

Jul 9, 2011
This was a good game, lots of back and forth scoring and chances. Alex Nauss for SS was the team's strongest player, I think.

Anyone else watch it?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
This was a good game, lots of back and forth scoring and chances. Alex Nauss for SS was the team's strongest player, I think.

Anyone else watch it?
Getson IMO was the strongest on south shore by far.....hockey sense wise Nauss was not there without the puck but his speed and craftyness got his chances and goals for him, he created in the offensive end but his strength was not there either, he was good but Getson created a lot more dangrous oppertunities than he did, in the 1st alone Getson had 3 great playmakings passes and 2 nice shots, in the 2nd he had another two great scoring chances and one really nice pass to set up the play....in the 3rd Getson should have had an assist where he worked the puck out of the corner and kicked it out to the defense and the forward picked up the rebound off the defender shot and scored but they never gave him one....Getson was working hard on the boards and stronger on the puck more than Nausse is....IMO Getson did more things a lot more right than Nauss, Nauss is good but to me he looks like a Luc Poirier where Getson looks like a young James Sheppard but better skater.

Barret Dasychyen is going to be a Frederik Gauthier type of player, the guy has all the skill in the world and game breaking skill, but like Gauthier I think it is going to take him till mid season to really get his game going.....Barrett is big like Gauthier, very smooth skater, good speed, excellent puck handling skill, good at carrying the puck and good shooter and passer with his skating and size he is going to be a high pick.

localfan

Jul 9, 2011
I agree with your statements on Barrett. He hasn't even found his groove yet this season. He will do well as the season progresses.

What happened to the Halifax goalie in the second period??

QMJHLguru

Dec 11, 2004
Halifax
Getson looks like a young James Sheppard but better skater.

I see some similarities to James Sheppard but not with as much offensive upside as Sheppard had at the Major Junior level. IMO Getson is a 3rd line, 30-40 point player and will be more of a defensive forward

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
QMJHLguru, it worries me that you have a display photo of Kelly Yates ('96 born 8th round MHL pick). Did you think it was Balmas? lol

localfan

Jul 9, 2011
Scoutman, based on your comments, I would say you are VERY high on Getson...Did anyone else stand out to you during the game?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I see some similarities to James Sheppard but not with as much offensive upside as Sheppard had at the Major Junior level. IMO Getson is a 3rd line, 30-40 point player and will be more of a defensive forward

a 3rd liner? ok I can not back that up...in all of his games so far I see the same offensive upside as James Sheppard, James played on a super strong team that year too with Brad Marchand, James Sheppard, Andrew Bodnarchuk, Ryan Hillier, Blake Gallagher (who had an amazing NCAA career), Getson has none of that, not sure if you saw all the oppertunities he created in all of his games so far, if he was on a strong offensive team he would have a lot more points than he has, IMO he has the same upside as James Sheppard and is a better skater, in midget James Sheppard had a very soft shot he had good accuracy and great playmaking skills but lacked a hard shot (which changed), I saw every game of James Sheppard in the city when he played major midget, he was my favorite player for the draft that year...I remember people were saying im nuts because there was no way James Sheppard was as good as Benjamin Breault or Jason Legault.

QMJHLguru

Dec 11, 2004
Halifax
I remember people were saying im nuts because there was no way James Sheppard was as good as Benjamin Breault or Jason Legault.

Sorry but i think your over-hyping Getson,I do not see the long term success in his game. There are two dozen kids in Midget who can put up big numbers like Getson and it just take one person over-hyping them to get there name at the lead of the pack, Is it hockey politics ? family connections ? who knows but that is all it takes at this level. I stand by my comments as a 3rd liner and in 2 years we'll see who is eating crow andGetson will likely be the next Benjamin Breault or Jason Legault

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Sorry but i think your over-hyping Getson,I do not see the long term success in his game. There are two dozen kids in Midget who can put up big numbers like Getson and it just take one person over-hyping them to get there name at the lead of the pack, Is it hockey politics ? family connections ? who knows but that is all it takes at this level. I stand by my comments as a 3rd liner and in 2 years we'll see who is eating crow andGetson will likely be the next Benjamin Breault or Jason Legault

everyone has their own way of looking at things if you do not see talent in him then you don't......but your fact was there are a dozen kids who can put up the numbers when there isn't especially 1st year players so you are totally wrong on that, 2nd let a 1st year kid do it on a team where they do not have a ton of good talent....sounds like getson pee'd in your corn flakes one morning. I think you are totally wrong and are missing what he has for talent, when a guy goes out and creates every shift he plays almost and plays tough, has good hands, great hockey sense, excellent playmaking and passing and good shooting...the work sense, work ethic, physical play alone make him a big time prospect. Also i have no connection to the kid at all, i just watch him on a judgement basis...as for me I do not think i am over hyping him, im not saying he is the next Crosby I think the only person with a personal connection might be you because i know every QMJHL scout in Nova Scotia right now has him early 1st round on their list right now as do i, and again there are not even 12 players in the league at the moment with Getson's points let along two dozon.

Last edited:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
everyone has their own way of looking at things if you do not see talent in him then you don't......but your fact was there are a dozen kids who can put up the numbers when there isn't especially 1st year players so you are totally wrong on that,

Actually, he's probably right (although your wording/syntax makes it a bit hard to understand what you're saying). Just looking at first year players in Ontario midget, for example, at least the top 3 scorers were 15 year old first year midgets who put up ~2 PPG numbers and are playing as 16 year olds in the OHL this year. So I don't know if you guys were talking just locally or not, but there are poop tonnes of first year midgets across the country who torch their local league, and taken as a group I'm pretty sure they end up in wildly different career paths from there.

hockey jockey

Feb 16, 2012
Actually, he's probably right (although your wording/syntax makes it a bit hard to understand what you're saying). Just looking at first year players in Ontario midget, for example, at least the top 3 scorers were 15 year old first year midgets who put up ~2 PPG numbers and are playing as 16 year olds in the OHL this year. So I don't know if you guys were talking just locally or not, but there are poop tonnes of first year midgets across the country who torch their local league, and taken as a group I'm pretty sure they end up in wildly different career paths from there.

AAA midget in Ontario is completely different than the Maritime leagues. Midget minor in Ontario is the top midget league composed mostly of 15 year olds if not all . Most midget teams in the East may have 2 or 3 15 year olds and lots of 17's which physically makes it hard for younger players.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

maritimes midget is made up of 15,16 and 17 year olds so not like Ontario........im not going by just points or one game i have seen this guy play, i have seen this guy play a bit now and I am giving a judgement based on my 15 years of seeing midget players on a scouting level of what this guy looks like.

localfan

Jul 9, 2011
I didn't mean to start a chat war, I was just wondering if there were any other players that played remotely as well as he did in your opinion...You only mentioned him, yet he didn't even score a goal and like you said he had one assist that they didn't give him credit for.

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
I didn't mean to start a chat war, I was just wondering if there were any other players that played remotely as well as he did in your opinion...You only mentioned him, yet he didn't even score a goal and like you said he had one assist that they didn't give him credit for.

Folks love stats. Sometimes stats do not tell the whole picture of a player. Especially in minor hockey where assisits are usually missed etc.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

well pickard played well in the 1st but started to not play bad but not has good as he was in the 1st and 2nd.....Morgan Nauss was good for south shore but I do not see high draft pick in him, Barrett Deschysyn played very well showed off his smooth skating and and good hockey sense......but stats like said are not every thing though a star forward you want to see dominate in points Getson is by the way putting up great points right now as is Balmas, but I will say in our scout meetings if i brought points up they would not even listen to me....my head scout does not even look at points at all he will never go on the website and look at the players points.....if a guy is playing in a game and creates 5 or 6 scoring chances but his linemates are not putting his great passes in the net and he is getting good shots on goal but the other goalie is playing well, well the guy is a great player in the game and could even be a star in the game over a guy who stood at the side of the net and banged in two wide open goals but did nothing else in the whole game....on paper you think this guy had a great game.

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
well pickard played well in the 1st but started to not play bad but not has good as he was in the 1st and 2nd.....Morgan Nauss was good for south shore but I do not see high draft pick in him, Barrett Deschysyn played very well showed off his smooth skating and and good hockey sense......but stats like said are not every thing though a star forward you want to see dominate in points Getson is by the way putting up great points right now as is Balmas, but I will say in our scout meetings if i brought points up they would not even listen to me....my head scout does not even look at points at all he will never go on the website and look at the players points.....if a guy is playing in a game and creates 5 or 6 scoring chances but his linemates are not putting his great passes in the net and he is getting good shots on goal but the other goalie is playing well, well the guy is a great player in the game and could even be a star in the game over a guy who stood at the side of the net and banged in two wide open goals but did nothing else in the whole game....on paper you think this guy had a great game.

I could not have said it better, regarding stats. Thanks

localfan

Jul 9, 2011
I know a player is more than their stats, I was just repeated what Scoutman had said about Getson not getting credit.

I know tons of kids that are amazing hockey players, stats or no stats...

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011

I just want to correct something or clarify something here - you mention Morgan Nauss was good for South Shore i will assume you meant Alex Nauss - F ( 1996 born ).

Morgan Nauss is a 1998 born Defender that plays for the Halifax MacDonalds and is a legit round 1-3 Q draft potential. I think he is off to a great start this year and has all the tools to compete at the next level.

Dogpound

Jun 10, 2012
well the bias IMO is the Quebec teams are slowly getting rid of their Atlantic scouts, i know Gatineau went from 14 scouts to only 4 this year and none in the Maritimes, I know their Maritime scouts are working with other teams now. The fact is these Quebec teams are only seeing the Maritime teams in tournaments such as Monctonian where they are playing for 5 days straight and some times 2 games a day, and through a sweep through Quebec region which is not much, personally I do not think you can get a good look at a player only watching limited veiwings and I think when a Quebec team does that it shows their dedication to Maritime players as they are watching the Quebec guys play every weekend they become very familier with those players and as we all do show favorites to a quebec based player than a Maritime player, but it does not always work, as was evident when the head quebec scouts told me Peter Trainor, Brandon Whitney, Mason McDonald were not any good, and telling me that Quebec has 30 guys just like Stephen MacAuley, etc etc etc.

I think the favoritism comes from the head scouts being based in Quebec and taking players they are familiarized too, players who they deem are english speaking and will have tough time adjusting to french life, the whole fact that in quebec a local player will sell more than an outside player......maritime time teams do a little bit the same but i feel more of a bias through Quebec based teams then Maritime teams working with both sides of the borders. It is a shame because talented players from the Maritimes are falling in the draft, and some players from Quebec who are not as good as some of these Maritimers are getting picked ahead........and i know teams like the Mooseheads and such their head scouts are based in Quebec hence Maxime Fortier getting picked in the 2nd round, IMO there were better Maritime players ranked in the 2nd round then him such as Campbell Pickard, JM Leblanc.

Not completely correct. Eric Bissonnette is still a scout for Gatineau and he is out of Fredericton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad