F Keith Getson - Charlottetown Islanders, QMJHL (2016 undrafted)

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
KeithGetsonIMG_0409_medium_medium.JPG

After only 2 games Keith Getson already has 4 goals and 3 assists in 2 games, showing the All Canadian camp they made a BIG mistake in not selecting him to attend which to today blows my mind why they never did....this guy is a Nathan Horton type of player. In my mind he will be the leader for 1st overall of the 2014 QMJHL...the kid is 6'00/180 right now and strong and very skilled.

Last edited by a moderator:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I have my calender circled for each Balmas/Getson battle lol should be a fun season in NS

make sure you have Even Fitzpatrick games circled as well as well as Rielly Pickard who IMO should also have been one of the goalies at the All State game.

Only bad thing about hockey in NS this year is Michael O'leary went to play in Salisbury.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
make sure you have Even Fitzpatrick games circled as well as well as Rielly Pickard who IMO should also have been one of the goalies at the All State game.

Only bad thing about hockey in NS this year is Michael O'leary went to play in Salisbury.

I have tons of games circled this year :laugh: not the norm in Atlantic Canada! We have Crossley at Shattuck as well!

Hopefully they're a little closer than 10-2 in the future but South Shore/CB would be my ideal pick for a game this year.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I have tons of games circled this year :laugh: not the norm in Atlantic Canada! We have Crossley at Shattuck as well!

Hopefully they're a little closer than 10-2 in the future but South Shore/CB would be my ideal pick for a game this year.

ya i do not put Crossley in the top teir of players of Balmas, Getson, O'Leary, Peveril, Green's, Fitzpatrick, Pickard.......Crossley is a great player but way too safe of a player, he is super smart, does all the little things right, has great overall skills but he just leaves you always wanting more from his game, hopefully he learns to take his game to the next level because the skill is there for sure but you always want to see him take a chance.

localfan

Jul 9, 2011
I've seen Pickard play twice this season so far and he hasn't really impressed me to be a first rounder...yet. Not saying it won't happen, but I think he is going to have to get used to the faster/harder shots and the stronger players crashing at his net on a consistent basis. It's a big jump from Bantam.

ns64

Aug 8, 2013
ya i do not put Crossley in the top teir of players of Balmas, Getson, O'Leary, Peveril, Green's, Fitzpatrick, Pickard.......Crossley is a great player but way too safe of a player, he is super smart, does all the little things right, has great overall skills but he just leaves you always wanting more from his game, hopefully he learns to take his game to the next level because the skill is there for sure but you always want to see him take a chance.

Have not heard Issac Francis named mentioned he is he back at ND?

hockeyman99

Aug 6, 2011
is there any 17 year olds from nova scotia who should go top 8 rounds. Like guys who did not get drafted last year

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
yea i was shocked Jesse Hamer was not drafted last year....wanted my team to take him in the draft but for some reason our head scout said there are a 100 players in quebec like him.....lol....they always say that and miss out big time on guys, just like when our head scout told me Brandon Whitney was not a good goalie and we are not wasting a 4th rounder on him....

Mr Celly

May 15, 2013
Halifax, NS
I see Crossley becoming a 4-year QMJHL player. He has every tool he needs to get to the next level. For 2014, I'd say he'd be a late first-rounder.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I see Crossley becoming a 4-year QMJHL player. He has every tool he needs to get to the next level. For 2014, I'd say he'd be a late first-rounder.

there is a chance of him going late 1st....and yes he has all the tools to get him to the next level....I just wish he was more explosive and he has the talent to be he is just too safe, I have not seen him yet this year at all, not even summer camps so that could have been something he was working on this year so hope he does because he has great skill.

Mr Celly

May 15, 2013
Halifax, NS
there is a chance of him going late 1st....and yes he has all the tools to get him to the next level....I just wish he was more explosive and he has the talent to be he is just too safe, I have not seen him yet this year at all, not even summer camps so that could have been something he was working on this year so hope he does because he has great skill.

He seems to be in top-physical condition, even with a broken wrist over the summer. Crossley made the U-16 team (I think) at Shattuck after just getting out of a cast. He has the potential to breakout this year.

ns64

Aug 8, 2013
yea i was shocked Jesse Hamer was not drafted last year....wanted my team to take him in the draft but for some reason our head scout said there are a 100 players in quebec like him.....lol....they always say that and miss out big time on guys, just like when our head scout told me Brandon Whitney was not a good goalie and we are not wasting a 4th rounder on him....

There are lots of maritime kids that get looked over do to the fact most teams are in Quebec and all teams have a large number of Quebec based scouts.Even the maritime teams have lots of Quebec based scouts that is why it is called the QUEBEC Major Junior Hockey League.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
There are lots of maritime kids that get looked over do to the fact most teams are in Quebec and all teams have a large number of Quebec based scouts.Even the maritime teams have lots of Quebec based scouts that is why it is called the QUEBEC Major Junior Hockey League.

you don't have to tell me about this, i work as a scout in the league and it is hard to sell maritime kids to quebec based teams....ill give you a few examples.......this past draft guys like Cambell Pickard, Luc Deschenes, Andrew Shewfelt all should have went higher than they went....Jesse Hamer should have been drafted for sure........in the past I brought Brandon Whitney up to my team in the 4th round, they said he is not that good we saw him in quebec at the kiwanas and he was not good at all, I said the kid is big, athletic and very raw and he is doing well on a really bad team, so we never took him and now he is NHL drafted....i told the team in the 3rd round to take Casey Babineau and they said he skates too slow so we never took him and now he is good for Rimomuski, same as signing Peter Trainor as a free agent from Fredricton and the head scout said he never got drafted for a reason there are a 100 players in quebec midget like him so rimouski signed him and he scored 100 points....told the team to take Stephen MacAuley from Cole Harbor and they said in Quebec there are many players like him, we would rather take a french speaking guy in the late rounds who is like him which look where MacAuley turned out.....I wanted Mason McDonald in the draft, we had a later first round pick and we passed him up though we had no goalies in the system and they said well he is ok but nothing special....he seems pretty good to me lol. so i know all too well the bias in the league and how maritimers usually do not go where they should.....oh another guy i liked this year who went way too late was Jean-Michael Leblanc.

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
you don't have to tell me about this, i work as a scout in the league and it is hard to sell maritime kids to quebec based teams....ill give you a few examples.......this past draft guys like Cambell Pickard, Luc Deschenes, Andrew Shewfelt all should have went higher than they went....Jesse Hamer should have been drafted for sure........in the past I brought Brandon Whitney up to my team in the 4th round, they said he is not that good we saw him in quebec at the kiwanas and he was not good at all, I said the kid is big, athletic and very raw and he is doing well on a really bad team, so we never took him and now he is NHL drafted....i told the team in the 3rd round to take Casey Babineau and they said he skates too slow so we never took him and now he is good for Rimomuski, same as signing Peter Trainor as a free agent from Fredricton and the head scout said he never got drafted for a reason there are a 100 players in quebec midget like him so rimouski signed him and he scored 100 points....told the team to take Stephen MacAuley from Cole Harbor and they said in Quebec there are many players like him, we would rather take a french speaking guy in the late rounds who is like him which look where MacAuley turned out.....I wanted Mason McDonald in the draft, we had a later first round pick and we passed him up though we had no goalies in the system and they said well he is ok but nothing special....he seems pretty good to me lol. so i know all too well the bias in the league and how maritimers usually do not go where they should.....oh another guy i liked this year who went way too late was Jean-Michael Leblanc.

Why would a maritime team take a Quebec kid over a Maritime kid - all else being equal?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Why would a maritime team take a Quebec kid over a Maritime kid - all else being equal?

not sure what you got from the rant but your understanding it wrong....im saying Maritime players still get the shaft from Quebec teams, to say there are 100 guys like Peter Trainor in Quebec but yet he scores 100 points in the QMJHL when only a hand full of players do that per year and the other examples i gave show that Quebec teams are not taking the best available player unless he is exceptional from the maritimes......it is a hard sell when your a maritime scout working for a quebec based team then the GM looks at you years down the road and says why didn't you push for that guy in the draft when all along you did.

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
not sure what you got from the rant but your understanding it wrong....im saying Maritime players still get the shaft from Quebec teams, to say there are 100 guys like Peter Trainor in Quebec but yet he scores 100 points in the QMJHL when only a hand full of players do that per year and the other examples i gave show that Quebec teams are not taking the best available player unless he is exceptional from the maritimes......it is a hard sell when your a maritime scout working for a quebec based team then the GM looks at you years down the road and says why didn't you push for that guy in the draft when all along you did.

Ok. Just confirming. Originally thought you were a maritime scout for a maritime team and that did not make sense according to your "rant". My guess and it is only a guess is that the quebec teams may feel that the competition level in the maritime is not as high as in Quebec due to smaller population base etc.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Ok. Just confirming. Originally thought you were a maritime scout for a maritime team and that did not make sense according to your "rant". My guess and it is only a guess is that the quebec teams may feel that the competition level in the maritime is not as high as in Quebec due to smaller populatiotn base etc.

no it is due to the fact a head scout for a quebec team is based in quebec and sees all the Quebec based guys more creating a bias to their talent...quebec teams do not invest a lot of money into scouting the maritimes and due to the fact are a lot of great players go late in the draft and it makes the maritimes a hard sell to quebec based teams.....talent of great caliber like Brandon Whitney, stephen MacAuley, Peter Trainor, Campbell Pickard, Andrew Shewfelt, Ryan Falkenham, etc etc fall to later rounds which is great for a team to get a great pick in the later rounds, just ticks you off when it is not your team getting the benifits.

localfan

Jul 9, 2011
You will be able to see Getson play against the Halifax McDonalds next Wednesday night (Oct. 2) via Eastlink channel 610. The Macs are playing the Mustangs at the Halifax Forum.

Are you going to the game, Scoutman?

QMJHLguru

Dec 11, 2004
Halifax
Having seen Getson and Balmas a few times each this season. IMO Balmas has more of an offensive upside and all around play making sense, with the skating ability and speed to create plays.

While IMO Getson is missing the explosive gear to make him the impact player needed on the #1 line and i see his more as the 2-3 liner will will grind around the net to pick up rebounds and tip in's.

I see Balmas battling with Michael Campoli for the #1 Position at the draft. While Getson will likely come in at the 4-8th spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad