F Keith Getson - Charlottetown Islanders, QMJHL (2016 undrafted)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Just checked the schedule again and realized Balmas and Getson won't play agaisnt each other until mid December. 1 if not both of them will be playing in the U17s... So that kind of sucks

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Having seen Getson and Balmas a few times each this season. IMO Balmas has more of an offensive upside and all around play making sense, with the skating ability and speed to create plays.

While IMO Getson is missing the explosive gear to make him the impact player needed on the #1 line and i see his more as the 2-3 liner will will grind around the net to pick up rebounds and tip in's.

I see Balmas battling with Michael Campoli for the #1 Position at the draft. While Getson will likely come in at the 4-8th spot.

I will say as it stands, Balmas is ahead of Getson and will probably stay that way for sure...Getson IMO though is going to be a major player in the draft, top 5 for sure, his strength, ability to make things happen in tight quarters and with pressure on him...his skating needs work on speed but imo speed is something you can work on, I think he could go in the top 3....Balmas though IMO is the number 1 guy for the draft and Ciampoli i think will probably go 2nd overall....but after those two Getson IMO could be taken right there....quebec is no the strongest in this draft and maritimes have some decent top end talent....IMO there is a chance Balmas, Getson and Fitzpatrick all have a chance going top 5 in the draft, only reason Fitzpatrick could go lower is because teams now are on a thing where they can get a good goalie anywhere in the draft, was the reason Mason McDonald fell in the draft and Julio Billa.

CRRhockey

Jan 29, 2013
I will say as it stands, Balmas is ahead of Getson and will probably stay that way for sure...Getson IMO though is going to be a major player in the draft, top 5 for sure, his strength, ability to make things happen in tight quarters and with pressure on him...his skating needs work on speed but imo speed is something you can work on, I think he could go in the top 3....Balmas though IMO is the number 1 guy for the draft and Ciampoli i think will probably go 2nd overall....but after those two Getson IMO could be taken right there....quebec is no the strongest in this draft and maritimes have some decent top end talent....IMO there is a chance Balmas, Getson and Fitzpatrick all have a chance going top 5 in the draft, only reason Fitzpatrick could go lower is because teams now are on a thing where they can get a good goalie anywhere in the draft, was the reason Mason McDonald fell in the draft and Julio Billa.

While I do agree that the Qc talent is not the strongest crop for the 98s, there are notable exceptions. You are missing Hunter Moreau who is a pure athletic talent, he has crazy speed, great hands and a powerful shot. He is strong and physical. He should be in the top 5. Also, you are missing Ryan Brushett, another excellent player with arguably the best hands in the league and Felix Lauzon as forwards who are all top 10 prospects. As far as defence men, Campoli is by far the whole package with size, agility and physical prowess, he will be hard to beat for # 1 spot depending whether teams want a forward or defencemen. Also Samuel Girard is another defensive force although he is small. For goalies, Samuel Harvey is the best of the lot.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
While I do agree that the Qc talent is not the strongest crop for the 98s, there are notable exceptions. You are missing Hunter Moreau who is a pure athletic talent, he has crazy speed, great hands and a powerful shot. He is strong and physical. He should be in the top 5. Also, you are missing Ryan Brushett, another excellent player with arguably the best hands in the league and Felix Lauzon as forwards who are all top 10 prospects. As far as defence men, Campoli is by far the whole package with size, agility and physical prowess, he will be hard to beat for # 1 spot depending whether teams want a forward or defencemen. Also Samuel Girard is another defensive force although he is small. For goalies, Samuel Harvey is the best of the lot.

im not missing them....i know them, actually have seen them play this year and a bunch last year....Brushett I think is the best forward in quebec, Moreau is good but small and I do not find him super strong but he is a good skater, goes to the net and has good hands, IMO not top 5 in the draft as of yet, Lauzon is good, skating needs a lot of work and I am not sold on his total package yet....I know of Harvey but a small goalie im sorry to say with me being at draft tables smaller goalies who are great will probably go 2nd round, Girard is a great talent but at 5'7 that is going to play a big role in him falling A LOT in the draft, IMO Getson, Fitzpatrick, Balmas and I actually think Michael O'Leary (who is in Salisbury) are better than every except Ciampoli in Quebec.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
im not missing them....i know them, actually have seen them play this year and a bunch last year....Brushett I think is the best forward in quebec, Moreau is good but small and I do not find him super strong but he is a good skater, goes to the net and has good hands, IMO not top 5 in the draft as of yet, Lauzon is good, skating needs a lot of work and I am not sold on his total package yet....I know of Harvey but a small goalie im sorry to say with me being at draft tables smaller goalies who are great will probably go 2nd round, Girard is a great talent but at 5'7 that is going to play a big role in him falling A LOT in the draft, IMO Getson, Fitzpatrick, Balmas and I actually think Michael O'Leary (who is in Salisbury) are better than every except Ciampoli in Quebec.

Agreed on most comments though Girard is now 5'8 1/2", not 5'7" which means he could be around 5'10" next year. Has 9 points in 8 games from D yet his team only has scored 15 goals this season so he has participated on 60 % of his team's goals. Can't see him drop out of the top-10.

Not sure Harvey is short though, as he stands 5'11 175 at 15 years old. He and Fitzpatrick will probably drop to early second round since the league has good depth in net with two goalies sent to the the OHL and only one 16 year old goalie in the league this season (Tremblay, Povall, Samuel and Smith all sent back to midget).

Saw LSL play twice this year (one preseason game and one regular season game). Quite the small sample but thought Brushett was more at ease with the caliber and more impactful than Campoli.

Any thought on the CND kids? They are off to a great start with 6 1998s forwards and a couple have been excellent and those all have decent size (Dubois, Santerre and Picard). Top-2 rounds potential?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Agreed on most comments though Girard is now 5'8 1/2", not 5'7" which means he could be around 5'10" next year. Has 9 points in 8 games from D yet his team only has scored 15 goals this season so he has participated on 60 % of his team's goals. Can't see him drop out of the top-10.

Not sure Harvey is short though, as he stands 5'11 175 at 15 years old. He and Fitzpatrick will probably drop to early second round since the league has good depth in net with two goalies sent to the the OHL and only one 16 year old goalie in the league this season (Tremblay, Povall, Samuel and Smith all sent back to midget).

Saw LSL play twice this year (one preseason game and one regular season game). Quite the small sample but thought Brushett was more at ease with the caliber and more impactful than Campoli.

Any thought on the CND kids? They are off to a great start with 6 1998s forwards and a couple have been excellent and those all have decent size (Dubois, Santerre and Picard). Top-2 rounds potential?

I have not seen Dubois, Santerre and Picard yet but im going back to Quebec soon to watch more games and they will be on my list to watch.....Harvey was standing next to one of our teams scouts after the game and our scout is 5'09 and Harvey was hardly taller than him...on team sites they always put heights up on some players, the NS site had some guys ranked as 5'10 or 5'11 and when CSR sent out their messurments of the teams which was middle of the year those players were all 5'07 and 5'07 and a half, it was crazy.

CRRhockey

Jan 29, 2013

Defencemen , generally, have less visible impact than forwards - at least initially. Campoli I have watched play a few times this year and many times last year. I do not remember him being on for a goal against this year, he is still winning most of his one on one battles against mostly older opponents and he has to do some baby-sitting of of others. Playing forward is noticeably easier, mistakes can go unnoticed. If a defenceman makes a mistake it is there for everyone to see. The games I have watched- Campoli has played a near flawless game defensively- as the team has asked him to do. This kid is legitimately 6'2" and still has some growing to do not to mention filling out. I have met Girard's parents and they are on the short side of average so he better learn to fly soon....or move to forward in the Q.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Impressive # for Getson and Balmas - neither have a penalty this season.

Balmas - 6GP 6G 10A 16PTS 0PIMS
Getson - 6GP 6G 6A 12PTS 0PIMS

CRRhockey

Jan 29, 2013
Impressive # for Getson and Balmas - neither have a penalty this season.

Balmas - 6GP 6G 10A 16PTS 0PIMS
Getson - 6GP 6G 6A 12PTS 0PIMS

Competition not strong in Nova Scotia?

I have seen both kids play against strong competition and no where near those type of stats. So all relative.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Competition not strong in Nova Scotia?

I have seen both kids play against strong competition and no where near those type of stats. So all relative.
this again about competition in NS....there is nothing wrong with competition in NS and in the ALL State game Balmas was one of the top players...Getson was not there but is doing well in midget against good compition.....

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
the competition is stronger than usual and Balmas is rising above the rest. Getson also playing at a high level early.

hockeyman99

Aug 6, 2011
after the first month of the nsmmhl, does anyone think Johnny Jones and Luc Poirier will be high draft picks as 17 year olds. They're both off to a good start.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
after the first month of the nsmmhl, does anyone think Johnny Jones and Luc Poirier will be high draft picks as 17 year olds. They're both off to a good start.

will be picked but both are small and not game breakers, high picks either will not be, picked in the draft they will be lol.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Defencemen , generally, have less visible impact than forwards - at least initially. Campoli I have watched play a few times this year and many times last year. I do not remember him being on for a goal against this year, he is still winning most of his one on one battles against mostly older opponents and he has to do some baby-sitting of of others. Playing forward is noticeably easier, mistakes can go unnoticed. If a defenceman makes a mistake it is there for everyone to see. The games I have watched- Campoli has played a near flawless game defensively- as the team has asked him to do. This kid is legitimately 6'2" and still has some growing to do not to mention filling out. I have met Girard's parents and they are on the short side of average so he better learn to fly soon....or move to forward in the Q.

Fair points all around. Campoli is definitely a top-5 prospect, it all depends what one expects from a no. 1 overall pick. I like a little more game-breaking ability, hence why I would lean towards Balmas at no. 1.

As for Girard, I have met his parents too and they are not very tall. I'd say he maxes at 5'10" (QMAAA site has him at 5'81/2", All-State official lineup had him at 5'9"). He will need to add muscle (140 pounds!) though but if he makes it at 5'10" with his game-breaking ability, he should still become an interesting pro prospect and definitely a great Q player. I still think he too goes top-5 in the Q draft, especially since it is not obvious if the Maritimes/West Island kids will report everywhere (say Val d'Or or Rouyn-Noranda drafts 4th overall?). Pat Brisson represents both Campoli and Girard and thus I doubt he would waste his time with either if he did not see them becoming legit pro prospects.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
You also said Brett Doirion would go in top couple rounds lol

and i said Campbell Pickard would go from 1st to 2nd round, also said Andrew Shewfelt would go 2nd to 3rd round....and i said JM Leblanc would go 1st round.....none of which came true....scouting is a crap shot too eh......Doirion should have went in the first 4 rounds IMO, and he is doing very very well in Jr A this year....Shewfelt and Pickard got picked later rounds and yet both made their Q teams.....Quebec based teams are showing great bias right now towards Maritimers....

CRRhockey

Jan 29, 2013
Fair points all around. Campoli is definitely a top-5 prospect, it all depends what one expects from a no. 1 overall pick. I like a little more game-breaking ability, hence why I would lean towards Balmas at no. 1.

As for Girard, I have met his parents too and they are not very tall. I'd say he maxes at 5'10" (QMAAA site has him at 5'81/2", All-State official lineup had him at 5'9"). He will need to add muscle (140 pounds!) though but if he makes it at 5'10" with his game-breaking ability, he should still become an interesting pro prospect and definitely a great Q player. I still think he too goes top-5 in the Q draft, especially since it is not obvious if the Maritimes/West Island kids will report everywhere (say Val d'Or or Rouyn-Noranda drafts 4th overall?). Pat Brisson represents both Campoli and Girard and thus I doubt he would waste his time with either if he did not see them becoming legit pro prospects.

I agree with your thinking about the 1st overall being more of game breaker/goal scorer. Also, you and many people would be correct to question whether a West Island kid would report to some farther region team.

ns64

Aug 8, 2013
and i said Campbell Pickard would go from 1st to 2nd round, also said Andrew Shewfelt would go 2nd to 3rd round....and i said JM Leblanc would go 1st round.....none of which came true....scouting is a crap shot too eh......Doirion should have went in the first 4 rounds IMO, and he is doing very very well in Jr A this year....Shewfelt and Pickard got picked later rounds and yet both made their Q teams.....Quebec based teams are showing great bias right now towards Maritimers....

I was looking for Pickard on the Drakar site and he is not listed , is he still there ?

What is the reason for the bias against Maritime kids ?

ns64

Aug 8, 2013
I think he was released when Zykov came back. He's playing Jr. A with Bridgewater now.

Ok, I see he only played three exibition games with them , we he be better in midget than playing junior A on a team that may not win 10 games this year.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Ok, I see he only played three exibition games with them , we he be better in midget than playing junior A on a team that may not win 10 games this year.

Those were regular season games. Had 1g, 1a in his first game, named second star.

As for Jr. A, he might need to get used to playing against stronger players so that's probably the best place for him. Whether or not Bridgewater stinks it up this year probably won't hinder his development.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Those were regular season games. Had 1g, 1a in his first game, named second star.

As for Jr. A, he might need to get used to playing against stronger players so that's probably the best place for him. Whether or not Bridgewater stinks it up this year probably won't hinder his development.

I would expect to see him get called back up to Major Junior at some point.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I was looking for Pickard on the Drakar site and he is not listed , is he still there ?

What is the reason for the bias against Maritime kids ?

well the bias IMO is the Quebec teams are slowly getting rid of their Atlantic scouts, i know Gatineau went from 14 scouts to only 4 this year and none in the Maritimes, I know their Maritime scouts are working with other teams now. The fact is these Quebec teams are only seeing the Maritime teams in tournaments such as Monctonian where they are playing for 5 days straight and some times 2 games a day, and through a sweep through Quebec region which is not much, personally I do not think you can get a good look at a player only watching limited veiwings and I think when a Quebec team does that it shows their dedication to Maritime players as they are watching the Quebec guys play every weekend they become very familier with those players and as we all do show favorites to a quebec based player than a Maritime player, but it does not always work, as was evident when the head quebec scouts told me Peter Trainor, Brandon Whitney, Mason McDonald were not any good, and telling me that Quebec has 30 guys just like Stephen MacAuley, etc etc etc.

I think the favoritism comes from the head scouts being based in Quebec and taking players they are familiarized too, players who they deem are english speaking and will have tough time adjusting to french life, the whole fact that in quebec a local player will sell more than an outside player......maritime time teams do a little bit the same but i feel more of a bias through Quebec based teams then Maritime teams working with both sides of the borders. It is a shame because talented players from the Maritimes are falling in the draft, and some players from Quebec who are not as good as some of these Maritimers are getting picked ahead........and i know teams like the Mooseheads and such their head scouts are based in Quebec hence Maxime Fortier getting picked in the 2nd round, IMO there were better Maritime players ranked in the 2nd round then him such as Campbell Pickard, JM Leblanc.

localfan

Jul 9, 2011
For anyone who has Eastlink TV, you can watch Mr. Getson take on the Halifax Macs tonight at 7pm on channel 610.

These teams haven't played each other since the pre-season tryouts with Halifax winning 6-4.

Should be a good game to watch!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad