F Filip Mesar - HK Poprad U20, Slovakia U20 (2022, 26th, MTL)

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Of the three highly discussed Slovaks for next year, I think this guy's draft range is the most underrated. I see why Slafkovsky is talked about as a really high pick, but there are questions there with his game that I think for now keep him from being a high first rounder. Nemec is a decent enough player, but I don't really see such high upside for early first. It seems like his proponents talk more about his perceived accomplishments than his skillset. Mesar might not be talked about as much as those two, but I think he fits in the same general draft range as them. A highly skilled guy whose not really that undersized and skates well is a top two rounds type of pick. I think thats where the other two will go. I actually would not be surprised if Mesar is the first of the Slovak's picked next year.

I would be surprised, but that doesn't mean, he couldn't be a high pick.
Slafkovsky is strongly punished with this messy COVID season. How many games he played? Not even 20 and i count also WCH. His last league game was on 28.10.2020!
Lets hope, next season will be played as it should. I heard, he wants to stay in Finland. Im still considered, CHL is the best way for him. He has the tools to be a important member of every squad. Then the scouts will definitely pick him above Mesar. We saw it also on WJC. His performance was clear above Mesar.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Slafkovsky is strongly punished with this messy COVID season. How many games he played? Not even 20 and i count also WCH. His last league game was on 28.10.2020!
Lets hope, next season will be played as it should. I heard, he wants to stay in Finland. Im still considered, CHL is the best way for him. He has the tools to be a important member of every squad. Then the scouts will definitely pick him above Mesar. We saw it also on WJC. His performance was clear above Mesar.
As i said in Juraj's thread if he's ready to play in liiga then there's absolutely no reason to go to CHL. And i think he will be ready and in a team like TPS he could even grab a top6 role. So yeah staying in Finland seems like a smart move for him. Dont know about Mesar tho, maybe for him CHL could be a good move.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Slafkovsky has a clear advantage in physical parameters. He is physically an adult man. In the end, Mesar can easily end up as a better player.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Slafkovsky has a clear advantage in physical parameters. He is physically an adult man. In the end, Mesar can easily end up as a better player.
This. Slafkovsky looked better and played more at the WJC because he has a pro frame already. Physical tools have a huge impact at the junior level. This is why there are always a bunch of 20-year-old undrafted players among the top scorers in the CHL (and other junior leagues), outscoring younger, more talented players.

I’ve only seen Slafkovsky at the WJC and Mesar a lot in league play, but I really like what I’ve seen from Mesar.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019

He didn’t really say this, did he? He just said there’s interest from all three leagues, he’s decided to stay in Slovakia, and he will probably be picked in the import draft anyway – which happens all the time with players of his quality.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
He didn’t really say this, did he? He just said there’s interest from all three leagues, he’s decided to stay in Slovakia, and he will probably be picked in the import draft anyway – which happens all the time with players of his quality.
Although I do think he will end up staying whole season in Poprad, because they have already showed him some decent minutes for 16 year old. I wouldn’t be totally shocked if mid season he went to play for the team that drafted him ala Chromiak. I still view the CHL as the best development for young players, plus Filip would get more exposure.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Although I do think he will end up staying whole season in Poprad, because they have already showed him some decent minutes for 16 year old. I wouldn’t be totally shocked if mid season he went to play for the team that drafted him ala Chromiak. I still view the CHL as the best development for young players, plus Filip would get more exposure.
Sure, I wouldn’t rule that out either. Just saying that, based on the Google translation of the interview, he said there’s been interest especially from WHL and QMJHL but OHL would suit him best. He then went on to say he’ll probably be picked in the draft despite having decided to stay. He didn’t actually say an OHL team will draft him, as the tweet suggests.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Kitchener Rangers just drafted this player.
What are the chances he comes here to play? Kitchener should have a solid team both this year and next.

any information beyond the already posted is appreciated, seems to be a talented player

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Kitchener Rangers just drafted this player.
What are the chances he comes here to play? Kitchener should have a solid team both this year and next.

any information beyond the already posted is appreciated, seems to be a talented player
He’s not going to come over unless things go south with HK Poprad which I see as unlikely. Of course a Chromiak situation can never be ruled out but Mesar became a central part of Poprad’s run to the finals of the Tipos league last year. The chances are slim that he laces up for Kitchener this season. He will be playing a top 6 role with Poprad and on the PP.

He just had 8 points in 5 games at the HGC. Corey Pronman noted that his size may keep him out of the first round at the draft. I think he has lots of room to grow and work there with his strength. If he can add more lower body strength I think he will have an even better season. He is gonna be a significant contributer for Slovakia at the WJC in December

Reactions: degustator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad