F Filip Mesar - HK Poprad U20, Slovakia U20 (2022, 26th, MTL)

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
FILIP MEŠÁR, F, 2022 ELIGIBLE

The first of three 2022 NHL Draft-eligibles on Team Slovakia, Filip Mesar may just be 16-years-old, but he’s playing in Slovakia’s top league with HK Poprad. Playing 13 games so far, he’s scored once and added two assists. He’s played international games with the U16 squad, but this tournament will be a big test for the young player.
“Mesar is not the biggest player but he plays with a lot of speed and energy each shift,” Smith said. “He has very good skating and straight-line speed, his acceleration and powerful stride make him a very good forechecker at the men’s level as a 16-year-old. His speed is his greatest asset and allows him to really take aggressive routes to pucks and force turnovers.”

Reactions: Jabs102501

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Filip has raised his production recently, he is now on 7 points (2G + 5A) in 20 games in top tier men's league.
Finally get more icetime. Gradually progress with each match. It's really nice to watch his game, during the power play, his play is reminiscent of Martin Reway, but Filip is faster and better skates. I think if he doesn't get injury, he could end the season with 15-20 points and next season he could dominate in one of the CHL leagues. According to his style of play, QMJHL would suit him best. However, the OHL would not have to be a bad choice either.

Reactions: mirec04

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
Finally get more icetime. Gradually progress with each match. It's really nice to watch his game, during the power play, his play is reminiscent of Martin Reway, but Filip is faster and better skates. I think if he doesn't get injury, he could end the season with 15-20 points and next season he could dominate in one of the CHL leagues. According to his style of play, QMJHL would suit him best. However, the OHL would not have to be a bad choice either.
I agree but in case Poprad could quarantee him more ice time and the role in PP I would think about to stay in men's league. IMHO it would give him more than playing between juniors.

Reactions: hellwar9

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Really good match from him. He created chances in each shift, the most dangerous player on both sides today. If he goes to one of the CHL leagues next season, I think he will dominate there.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Really good match from him. He created chances in each shift, the most dangerous player on both sides today. If he goes to one of the CHL leagues next season, I think he will dominate there.

Is the CHL really the best approach for this new high potential group of players? Sweden and Finland have their talented youngsters playing in their mens leagues even if in 4th line roles. This works fine for their development , Russia uses the same approach as most of their players come from their first and second league. Even Germany with their strong 01 and 02s their players are going through domestic leagues. Perhaps this would be better for the Slovak players to earn their icetime in Extraliga, teams seem to be willing to give youngters a chance

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Is the CHL really the best approach for this new high potential group of players? Sweden and Finland have their talented youngsters playing in their mens leagues even if in 4th line roles. This works fine for their development , Russia uses the same approach as most of their players come from their first and second league. Even Germany with their strong 01 and 02s their players are going through domestic leagues. Perhaps this would be better for the Slovak players to earn their icetime in Extraliga, teams seem to be willing to give youngters a chance

The men's league would be better for him, but he himself wants to go to one of the CHL leagues. Maybe he'll change his opinion until next season, who knows.

Reactions: wings5

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Slovak League is Slovak League. Its a lewel or two lower as KHL or SHL. But if he could play top 6 (and i think that he can), why not? Still, CHL is another world, more similar to NHL where he wants to play.
I dont think, it will be a step back for him if he goes.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Slovak League is Slovak League. Its a lewel or two lower as KHL or SHL. But if he could play top 6 (and i think that he can), why not? Still, CHL is another world, more similar to NHL where he wants to play.
I dont think, it will be a step back for him if he goes.
Right now he’s a top 6 player on one of the top teams in the league and he’ll have a HUGE season next year if he stays. But he won’t be playing against other top prospects the way he would in the CHL. I think if anything prevents him from going to the CHL it’ll be covid.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Do you guys think he goes before Slafkovsky? I think he has a chance if he goes to CHL. I think we might be looking at a top 10 pick in Mesar.

Last edited:

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Do you guys think he goes before Slafkovsky? I think he has a chance if he goes to CHL. I think we might looking a top 10 pick in Mesar.
I don't think so. It's still impossible to know what his draft range is, but I could see more of a middle rounder in him

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don't think so. It's still impossible to know what his draft range is, but I could see more of a middle rounder in him

Middle first rounder you mean? Because although I do think there is a history of some Slovak prospects peaking early and disappointing - if Mesar only becomes a middle rounder (4th/5th round) after what he is doing at this age - that would be extremely disappointing.

james12

Mar 31, 2018
QMJHL would fit him best IMO, he's heck of a skater with very elite agility, hands and iq. Hope he'll reach 6'00" prior to draft and get some strength. If that's a case, he's easily 1st round contender for me even though it's 2022 draft. Next season will decide.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Do you guys think he goes before Slafkovsky? I think he has a chance if he goes to CHL. I think we might looking a top 10 pick in Mesar.

Probably not. Slafkovsky has a huge upside. Slafkovsky will probably also go to the CHL if he does not play in Finland in the Liiga. If he improves skating, especially his first 3 steps, then he can be a huge monster and one of the best players in draft. Mesar is very talented, he may finish a few years after the draft better than Slaf and it will not be a surprise, but for now he won't go before him in draft. I actually see him at the end of the first or the beginning of the second round. But he can jump in his draft season and be somewhere at the top 20, we will see.

Reactions: james12

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Of the three highly discussed Slovaks for next year, I think this guy's draft range is the most underrated. I see why Slafkovsky is talked about as a really high pick, but there are questions there with his game that I think for now keep him from being a high first rounder. Nemec is a decent enough player, but I don't really see such high upside for early first. It seems like his proponents talk more about his perceived accomplishments than his skillset. Mesar might not be talked about as much as those two, but I think he fits in the same general draft range as them. A highly skilled guy whose not really that undersized and skates well is a top two rounds type of pick. I think thats where the other two will go. I actually would not be surprised if Mesar is the first of the Slovak's picked next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00