F Dalibor Dvorsky - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2023, 10th, STL)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No. Skating is mostly a question of technique and has very little to do with physicality or not being physically ready.

This is literally one of the worst takes I've ever read on this board and I've posted here for over 20 years.

Obviously technique is hugely important. But physical maturity, strength, and development are just as important. If you're physically weak and underdeveloped for your age, your skating will not be as explosive as it will be when you add muscle and power as your body fills out.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This is literally one of the worst takes I've ever read on this board and I've posted here for over 20 years.

Obviously technique is hugely important. But physical maturity, strength, and development are just as important. If you're physically weak and underdeveloped for your age, your skating will not be as explosive as it will be when you add muscle and power as your body fills out.

You think that applies to Dvorsky? Do you really think he's a poor skater because he's physically weak?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You think that applies to Dvorsky? Do you really think he's a poor skater because he's physically weak?

Don't move the goalposts. You were talking generally about all players, not Dvorsky specifically.

I also don't think Dvorsky's skating is nearly as poor as most seem to.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Don't move the goalposts. You were talking generally about all players, not Dvorsky specifically.

I also don't think Dvorsky's skating is nearly as poor as most seem to.
He's physically ready. That's actually part of the reason why he's dominating juniors. He's more ready physically than fellow kids. What he needs to work on is skating. Skating and decision making, especially against the puck. That's what he has to work on...he has to work on to play pro hockey...and that's the problem. He doesn't have to work on anything to dominate the OHL. He came in and dominated instantly, just as I said. Back in Sweden it was the same thing. He can effortlessly dominate fellow kids, even older ones. The problem is that his junior game does not translate to pro hockey. This is why I dislike him going back to juniors.
You must be confusing me with somebody else. I was talking about Dvorsky. And if you think that Dvorsky's skating is fine then you're just as much of a laughing matter as the other comedian claiming that Dvorsky is a poor skater because he's physically weak:laugh:

Reactions: ginomini

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You must be confusing me with somebody else. I was talking about Dvorsky. And if you think that Dvorsky's skating is fine then you're just as much of a laughing matter as the other comedian claiming that Dvorsky is a poor skater because he's physically weak:laugh:

Dude, you literally made multiple posts directly saying that skating development is almost entirely technique.

Hinterland said:
No. Skating is mostly a question of technique and has very little to do with physicality or not being physically ready.

Hinterland said:
So you agree with me just to then write that you disagree? Of course there's physical elements and requirements but without the right technique you only get so far. If skating wasn't mostly about technique then why do you think poor skaters hardly ever get better after the age of ~20? Why do you think NHL teams are so hesitant when it comes to drafting poor skaters? If this was just about physicality, it would be an easy fix for everyone. Did you ever skate?

These posts were not about Dvorsky specifically. They were about your philosophy on skating, which is just ... blatantly wrong.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Dude, you literally made multiple posts directly saying that skating development is almost entirely technique.

These posts were not about Dvorsky specifically. They were about your philosophy on skating, which is just ... blatantly wrong.
Only because I got quoted by trolls. My posts were all about Dvorsky until comedians like you started to claim that skating has little to do with technique:laugh:

So you tell me. Is Jeff Skinner such a good skater because he's in better physical shape than other NHLers or because he worked on his skating technique doing figure skating drills?

I can't believe there are multiple comedians on a hockey board actually convinced that skating is so easy it's mostly about physicality:help:

Again...did you ever watch Tristen Doyle...is he such a good skater because he's physically ahead of other prospects?

Is Ryan Reaves a poor skater because he's in a bad shape physically?

Is Dvorsky in bad physical shape?

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not even goal per game pace and there were zero European pros involved when he scored them which means he actually has 0 goals on the year. It's probably his skating holding him back.
Yeah. His technique is phenomenal but I was told by hfboards resident skating experts that it doesn't matter at all when it comes to skating. Dvorsky is a bad skater because he's physically weak and really needs to get stronger or the lack of strength will continue to hold him back:popcorn:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No, developing technique has very little to do with being physically ready. You're talking out of your ass.

Let's take a look at the best skaters. In the NHL, first one that comes to mind is Jeff Skinner. Why is he such an amazing skater? Because he's better physically than the rest of the NHL? I like Jeff Skinner but I think we can all agree that quite the opposite is the case. So...why is he still such a good skater? The answer is easy. Because his technique is next level thanks to his figure skating drills paying off.

We can take a look at juniors as well. The CHL's most impressive skater is probably Tristen Doyle. Is that guy physically ahead of fellow kids? If you ever watched him you agree with me that's clearly not the case. He's such a good skater...surprise surprise...because of his technique.

If skating was so easy that you can do it without a good technique then many sports would be dominated by different people.

A good example is cross country skiing. Not quite the same as skating on ice but there are similarities. Somehow, classical races are dominated by different people than skating races. Why? Because...surprise surprise... you need a way better technique for skating. If you're a great athlete you can power through a classical race but not a skating race.
Seems like everyone here disagrees with you in this thread. So I dont know maybe you are the one talking out of your ass.

Yeah. His technique is phenomenal but I was told by hfboards resident skating experts that it doesn't matter at all when it comes to skating. Dvorsky is a bad skater because he's physically weak and really needs to get stronger or the lack of strength will continue to hold him back:popcorn:
No one said that. Now you are making things up. Part of being physically ready is his skating developing which is a combination of strength, explosiveness, technique and fast twitch muscles developing. You just dont understand it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Seems like everyone here disagrees with you in this thread. So I dont know maybe you are the one talking out of your ass.

No one said that. Now you are making things up. Part of being physically ready is his skating developing which is a combination of strength, explosiveness, technique and fast twitch muscles developing. You just dont understand it.
If that's the way you wanna look at it then that's cool with me. Don't wanna be responsible for bursting your bubble.

Cool. You don't think it's tough to be explosive if you have a poor technique? Which one of those you listed you think is usually the deciding factor, the difference maker, what sets players apart?

Again, why do you think Jeff Skinner was such an amazing skater? What sets him apart from other NHLers? Or Tristen Doyle from other undrafted prospects? Or, if you wanna stay closer to the topic, why is Samuel Honzek a good skater while Dvorsky is not? You really don't think it has anything to do with technique? I know Honzek had some pretty good results at the combine but do you honestly think he's that much stronger than Dvorsky physically?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Only because I got quoted by trolls. My posts were all about Dvorsky until comedians like you started to claim that skating has little to do with technique:laugh:

So you tell me. Is Jeff Skinner such a good skater because he's in better physical shape than other NHLers or because he worked on his skating technique doing figure skating drills?

I can't believe there are multiple comedians on a hockey board actually convinced that skating is so easy it's mostly about physicality:help:

Again...did you ever watch Tristen Doyle...is he such a good skater because he's physically ahead of other prospects?

Is Ryan Reaves a poor skater because he's in a bad shape physically?

Is Dvorsky in bad physical shape?

Jesus Christ. This is like responding to an encyclopedia of logical fallacies.

Your posts were about skating in general. Anyone can see that reading the thread no matter how much you try to back off or move goalposts.

There is also an absolute ocean of reasonable takes in between your ridiculous statement that 'skating has very little to do with physicality' and your equally ridiculous strawman that anyone claimed that 'skating has little to do with technique'.

Skating is large parts both technique and physicality. If you have technique AND strength, you'll probably be a very good skater. If you have good technique but are weak and underdeveloped, you probably won't be. Likewise if you're strong but have terrible technique.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Jesus Christ. This is like responding to an encyclopedia of logical fallacies.

Your posts were about skating in general. Anyone can see that reading the thread no matter how much you try to back off or move goalposts.

There is also an absolute ocean of reasonable takes in between your ridiculous statement that 'skating has very little to do with physicality' and your equally ridiculous strawman that anyone claimed that 'skating has little to do with technique'.

Skating is large parts both technique and physicality. If you have technique AND strength, you'll probably be a very good skater. If you have good technique but are weak and underdeveloped, you probably won't be. Likewise if you're strong but have terrible technique.
So why do you think Dvorsky is a poor skater? Is he, in your opinion, really weak and underdeveloped?

As for the rest, I explained you already that it isn't me moving the goalposts. If you can't read or are too lazy to read then it's your fault, not mine and for goodness sake, stop quoting me. I'm usually pretty laid back and never put somebody on ignore but if you repeat your bs one more time then you'll be the first and I won't even care if you're dumb, lazy or just trolling. If you read through the thread, my posts were always about Dvorsky until I got quoted with some ridiculous takes re Dvorsky's skating. If you can't or don't want to understand this then you'll have to test somebody else's nerves. Sorry.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So why do you think Dvorsky is a poor skater? Is he, in your opinion, really weak and underdeveloped?

As for the rest, I explained you already that it isn't me moving the goalposts. If you can't read or are too lazy to read then it's your fault, not mine and for goodness sake, stop quoting me. I'm usually pretty laid back and never put somebody on ignore but if you repeat your bs one more time then you'll be the first and I won't even care if you're dumb, lazy or just trolling. If you read through the thread, my posts were always about Dvorsky until I got quoted with some ridiculous takes re Dvorsky's skating. If you can't or don't want to understand this then you'll have to test somebody else's nerves. Sorry.

Dude, you literally posted this :

If skating wasn't mostly about technique then why do you think poor skaters hardly ever get better after the age of ~20? Why do you think NHL teams are so hesitant when it comes to drafting poor skaters?

Anyone with half a brain can see you're making a blanket statement about skating in general and not talking about Dvorsky specifically here, and then you're trying to move goalposts/claim you didn't say what you very obviously said.

And you can either admit when you're wrong or have a tantrum and put me on ignore. I really don't care.

As for Dvorsky, I've only seen a couple clips of him this year. Watching full games at the U18s last year, he has a slightly clunky first step (yes, technique) and struggled somewhat with quick stop-starts but once at speed carrying the puck at defenders wasn't poor at all and actually popped at times. And, like most 18 year olds, he also looked underdeveloped.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Dude, you literally posted this :

Anyone with half a brain can see you're making a blanket statement about skating in general and not talking about Dvorsky specifically here, and then you're trying to move goalposts/claim you didn't say what you very obviously said.

And you can either admit when you're wrong or have a tantrum and put me on ignore. I really don't care.

As for Dvorsky, I've only seen a couple clips of him this year. Watching full games at the U18s last year, he has a slightly clunky first step (yes, technique) and struggled somewhat with quick stop-starts but once at speed carrying the puck at defenders wasn't poor at all and actually popped at times. And, like most 18 year olds, he also looked underdeveloped.
So essentially you keep on writing a lot of bs despite actually agreeing with me?:help:
Well, as I said I'm not gonna continue to engage in this discussion. I don't think there's a point.

However, skating is the area where I think his move to Canada could be most benefitial. Every team and coach is different of course but from my experience, Swedish teams/coaches are pretty big on skill and system/tactical drills but not necessarily skating...at least compared to other countries. I don't like him playing juniors one bit but if he can boost his confidence and improve his skating it at least won't be a lost year. I still fear playing AHL next year is gonna be a tough ask though for a prospect coming out of the OHL that has struggled in the Allsvenskan last season.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So essentially you keep on writing a lot of bs despite actually agreeing with me?:help:
Well, as I said I'm not gonna continue to engage in this discussion. I don't think there's a point.

I wasn't ever responding the the Dvorsky discussion. I was responding to the dumb claims you were making in the context of the Dvorsky discussion. You don't seem to be able to understand the issues with your posts, so have a nice day.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Technique is the main part of developing skating…Jesus :laugh:

It’s a part of developing skating, without a doubt. Don’t know if there’s a single hockey person who’d say technique is the biggest aspect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad