F Cole Caufield - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2019, 15th, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
CC is a tremendous prospect. The only way I see him not succeeding has nothing to do w his height but more so if The Oilers draft him or not.

That dumpster fire has been a graveyard for development and losing culture. I hope for Cole's case he doesnt go there.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Why comparisons to Laine? He’s probably the second best natural finisher in the league after OV (just talking shot here) and 6’5. That’s not a good comparison
How about a guy like Skinner who is an elite finisher and a smaller guy

Reactions: ginomini

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Gotta hope he ends up more like Debrincat than Rocco Grimaldi. People forget Grimaldi was the leading scorer on his NTDP team. Although it was incredibly weaker than the current one, there are situations where it doesnt always translate to the next level. I still think hes worthy of a top 15 pick but if you dont think there are any concerns with him then your out to lunch

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Laine is pretty much a player that only scores goals and does nothing else and he went second. So I'm assuming it's just because Caufield is small is the reason why he won't be a top 5. That's all I'm kinda getting at. I would go as far as saying the rest of Laine's game is below league average but I don't watch every Jets game so I could be totally off base.

Laine is almost a foot taller than Caufield, he can play a heavy game if need be. Yes he is inconsistent but so are many big players at a young age. Caufield simply wont be able to play that style. Add that on to the fact Laine DOMINATED the WJC at 17 years old, Caufield didnt even have a sniff of playing in the tournament. Next you factor in that small players tend to develop at a much faster rate than bigger players who tend to take longer.

I hope you dont take this as a slight to Caufield he is a great prospect but he isnt on the same level as Laine.

I have recently noticed posters have really got away from evaluating prospects in the long term. What they project to become based on body type, physical maturity, frame and what they might look like as a finished product. I understand there are more statistics than ever to evaluate a players production but that doesnt mean everyone should abandon the actual scouting process. These playoffs have shown that you need a mix of size, gritt and skill to be successful so when evaluating 16, 17 and 18 year olds understanding what they become as a 25 year old is far more important than only looking at singular production at this age.

I think it would be a mistake to draft Caufield in the top 5 but I am confident he does go between 6 and 11, his goal scoring, hockey sense and vision is undeinable I am just not sure how much better his game will continue to get at the pro level. Thats really the only thing that worries me, how much closer he is to a finished product than his peers. Does someone have the inside scoop on his body type and if they think he is still growing. I dont mind his height I am just more concerned about how thick he is going to get so he can handle the grind of an 82 game season.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Gotta hope he ends up more like Debrincat than Rocco Grimaldi. People forget Grimaldi was the leading scorer on his NTDP team. Although it was incredibly weaker than the current one, there are situations where it doesnt always translate to the next level. I still think hes worthy of a top 15 pick but if you dont think there are any concerns with him then your out to lunch

And right or not, Johnny G's recent playoff struggles will probably be in the back of GM's minds as well (I say "not," for what it's worth).

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Why comparisons to Laine? He’s probably the second best natural finisher in the league after OV (just talking shot here) and 6’5. That’s not a good comparison
How about a guy like Skinner who is an elite finisher and a smaller guy

Yeah this kid plays nothing like Laine. He's much quicker, a much better stickhandler and goes to the net a lot more.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Very different players, so I’d hope this mistake isn’t made by the guys paid to do the job.

Its not really a mistake, Gaudreau is likely a better player than Caufield will ever be..... High end skill small players that dont have a serious edge have really struggled in the playoffs this year.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Its not really a mistake, Gaudreau is likely a better player than Caufield will ever be..... High end skill small players that dont have a serious edge have really struggled in the playoffs this year.

Gaudreau's issue is he's not quite quick enough and he's not good enough of a goal scorer right now, so though he's getting chances to score he's come up with nothing with his passing options being taken away. It's hard to be the puck carrier in the playoffs when you're small and not crazy fast. We're seeing that skating skill is harder to neutralize than puck skill. I still think he can be effective and he'll learn from it and get better like many elite players who've been checked to death have gotten better.

Caufield is a bit quicker and obviously he can score goals. His game also doesn't rely on carrying the puck though he can do that too.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think Caufield is quicker than Gaudreau, but agree that he's a shooter, not a puck carrier. Caufield is one of those guys who could disappear at higher levels because he simply can't find his shot at higher levels, a la Pulkinnen. Outstanding shot and release, though.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't see the concerns here to be honest. Not every small player is Grimaldi or Gerbe, nor are they all DeBrincat - but damn this kid looks like DeBrincat out there. that shot he has from anywhere on the ice/tough angles is NHL caliber. What stands him apart from other "smurfs" that never really made it at a significant level is his lethal shot, high IQ, and ability to be in the right spots all the time. These are the traits you want in a smaller player, like Gaudreau, Kane, Cat, Point, etc - these guys know where to be on the ice to produce, and Caufield has that ability as well. He is just a smart player and doesn't need to rely on elite speed to fly around out there like Grimaldi, he is different, he can play any tempo you like and will go to the tough areas as well. If he drops past the Oilers I honestly would be shocked at this point.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I don't think Caufield is quicker than Gaudreau, but agree that he's a shooter, not a puck carrier. Caufield is one of those guys who could disappear at higher levels because he simply can't find his shot at higher levels, a la Pulkinnen. Outstanding shot and release, though.

Your beef with Caufield? :(

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
4 more goals and he cements himself as the best single tournament scorer in the u18s history. Current leader is Ovechkin. He is sitting tied with Kucherov and Kovalchuk.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014

He's better than the guys who haven't made it though. A lot better. That's the difference. He's too talented to fail, and that's the bottom line.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Your beef with Caufield? :(
If I don't gush about a player without qualification then I have a "beef" with him? It's pretty reasonable to wonder if a player's skill(s) will transfer with him as he moves up the ladder, no?

Last edited:
Reactions: bert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad