F Cole Caufield - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2019, 15th, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
CC is a tremendous prospect. The only way I see him not succeeding has nothing to do w his height but more so if The Oilers draft him or not.

That dumpster fire has been a graveyard for development and losing culture. I hope for Cole's case he doesnt go there.

I can't believe that the Oilers would be interested. They already have one tiny guy which is more than enough for any NHL team.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Gaudreau is decent comparison on size. He might be a better passer, but Caufield is quicker and better shooter.

AVs was successful in neutralizing Gaudreau with constant hits and blocked passes when pressured to Monahan. This disrupted his game and frustrated him mentally. Smallish players tend to struggle during the playoffs when defenses tighten.

I guess the drafting team makes the difference in his career. He would need a fantastic passer with size: EDM - McDavid, BUF - Eichel & PHI - Couturier are the best fit, otherwise, it's better to stay away from smallish wingers.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Too short. Barely human. Move on, he needs to go play in some perpetual kindergarten (a league small enough for him) league.

He should be drafted near the bottom of the 1st round, not Top 15.

Alphalfa - Eyes.gif

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Gaudreau's issue is he's not quite quick enough and he's not good enough of a goal scorer right now, so though he's getting chances to score he's come up with nothing with his passing options being taken away. It's hard to be the puck carrier in the playoffs when you're small and not crazy fast. We're seeing that skating skill is harder to neutralize than puck skill. I still think he can be effective and he'll learn from it and get better like many elite players who've been checked to death have gotten better.

Caufield is a bit quicker and obviously he can score goals. His game also doesn't rely on carrying the puck though he can do that too.

If you think Caufield is going to be better than Gaudreau then he should be the concensus first overall pick. Caufield isnt close to the same level player in creativity, hockey sense and edgework.

Gaudreau is decent comparison on size. He might be a better passer, but Caufield is quicker and better shooter.

AVs was successful in neutralizing Gaudreau with constant hits and blocked passes when pressured to Monahan. This disrupted his game and frustrated him mentally. Smallish players tend to struggle during the playoffs when defenses tighten.

I guess the drafting team makes the difference in his career. He would need a fantastic passer with size: EDM - McDavid, BUF - Eichel & PHI - Couturier are the best fit, otherwise, it's better to stay away from smallish wingers.
'Might be a better passer' Yikes. Its one playoff series. Monahan was playing hurt, that certainly didnt help people need to relax. Hilarious that people will bank more on a 17 year olds production on a stacked U18 team than a guy that just scored 99 points in the NHL but had one poor playoff series.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Gaudreau will be a much better player because of his hands/vision, but if Caufield pans out he will be a much better player in the post season because of his shot and ability to find open spaces

hellvetet

Oct 2, 2015
How does Caufield compare to Debrincat? His scouting report and this topic makes me think they share some important strengths in their game, especially their knack for finding soft spots to get their shot off.

I have seen Caufield play for approximately 5 shifts so I would greatly appreciate input from posters who have actually seen the guy play.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
If I am a GM this kid is tough to project. Just for fun debate on what goes on in my head - he scores a ton of goals but rarely creates on his own. Relies heavily on players getting him the puck. Can finish and has a fast release. But I keep going back to him not creating on his own. A ton of his goals are off a nice passes from teammates. Plays on a supremely talented line of playmakers and he finishes..is 5'6 and 150...not stocky or powerful...shot isnt overly impressive....is his stats a result of playing with stud players...soon to hit 70 goals this season is incredible...does he play 200' game and is he sound defensively...ehh...I see him more as a one dimensional player.Do I take him top 10...no....top 15...no....I would take a shot with him in the 20 range and being selected by Buffalo.

Reactions: bert

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
He will be gone by 15 and I think it's doubtful he's there for the Wild at 12.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If I am a GM this kid is tough to project. Just for fun debate on what goes on in my head - he scores a ton of goals but rarely creates on his own. Relies heavily on players getting him the puck. Can finish and has a fast release. But I keep going back to him not creating on his own. A ton of his goals are off a nice passes from teammates. Plays on a supremely talented line of playmakers and he finishes..is 5'6 and 150...not stocky or powerful...shot isnt overly impressive....is his stats a result of playing with stud players...soon to hit 70 goals this season is incredible...does he play 200' game and is he sound defensively...ehh...I see him more as a one dimensional player.Do I take him top 10...no....top 15...no....I would take a shot with him in the 20 range and being selected by Buffalo.
Gonna have to outright disagree with the bolded. He scores in many different ways that aren't back door one-timers. Has slick hands and explosive shifty skating that allow him to not only challenge and beat defenders 1 on 1, but also create separation on stretch passes to create partial breakaways. If you're saying he won't go end to end and skate through 5 defenders then sure you're right, but that's not his game. He also scored over a goal per game while Hughes was at the WJC's. Yes there are a lot of good players on his team, but implying he is just a passenger is silly.

Shot is most definitely impressive. It's hard and accurate and his release is lightning quick. He can beat you with a one-timer, a wrister, or a slick move in tight. Would I say he has a Laine or Ovi level shot? No, but he certainly has the shot of a guy who could be an elite 30+ goal scorer at the next level.

JLT

Jan 7, 2019
He scored 2 more today against Latvia... Here is the game recap (His goals are 2nd and 4th for USA)...

Reactions: Synergy27

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Gonna have to outright disagree with the bolded. He scores in many different ways that aren't back door one-timers. Has slick hands and explosive shifty skating that allow him to not only challenge and beat defenders 1 on 1, but also create separation on stretch passes to create partial breakaways. If you're saying he won't go end to end and skate through 5 defenders then sure you're right, but that's not his game. He also scored over a goal per game while Hughes was at the WJC's. Yes there are a lot of good players on his team, but implying he is just a passenger is silly.

Shot is most definitely impressive. It's hard and accurate and his release is lightning quick. He can beat you with a one-timer, a wrister, or a slick move in tight. Would I say he has a Laine or Ovi level shot? No, but he certainly has the shot of a guy who could be an elite 30+ goal scorer at the next level.

Totally agree on most points. I would say a clear majority of his goals just this tournament have been from fantastic setups. This is also true for a huge percent of his regular season goals too. He gets a lot of breakaways as well - thus isnt really a 200 ft player and has some defensive liabilities IMO. He does create on his own in space and finds open ice but he isnt one to take puck mid ice and beat guys. He is more sly, darting and slicing to net who then gets a pass and shoots. IMO. I am not implying he is a passenger but he isnt the straw that stirs the drink either. I think we agree on 955 of the scouting on him just have different ways of stating it.

Reactions: McFlyingV

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
What a bad take. He doesn't create on his own? did you watch 1 clip?

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
He has scored 107 goals this year, you can't honestly think he relies on other people. If so I don't know what to say to you.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Totally agree on most points. I would say a clear majority of his goals just this tournament have been from fantastic setups. This is also true for a huge percent of his regular season goals too. He gets a lot of breakaways as well - thus isnt really a 200 ft player and has some defensive liabilities IMO. He does create on his own in space and finds open ice but he isnt one to take puck mid ice and beat guys. He is more sly, darting and slicing to net who then gets a pass and shoots. IMO. I am not implying he is a passenger but he isnt the straw that stirs the drink either. I think we agree on 955 of the scouting on him just have different ways of stating it.
Appreciate you clarifying, and I agree with most of what you said. I think part of it is he plays with fast playmakers who like to carry the puck so he assumes the role of the guy who gets open to shoot. I think he's shown enough to show that he can make a lot happen on his own from the blue line in. I don't think he's the guy you want to wind up behind the net and try to skate through 5 guys like McDavid.

Nothing wrong with him simplifying his game in this tournament though. Better off letting the elite puck carriers and playmakers play their role so he can play his. Seems to be working out ok with 11 goals in 4 games :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad