F Cole Caufield - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2019, 15th, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Can someone explain to me why Caufield shouldn't be considered a top 5 pick, other than his height? It's a serious question too. I'm not a scout or anything so I'd like to know what his big flaws and concerns about his game are.
From my viewings of him there is no reason other than his height. He has an elite shot arsenal consisting of a quick release, hard and accurate wrister, and devastating one-timer that is on and off his stick and in the back of the net in an instant. His skating is good. He's explosive, he's very shifty and a great lateral skater that can dart left to right to left when challenging a defender. Some will say he lacks elite top end speed, but I really don't think that should be a concern when he has a good first few steps and great agility. His hands are very good in tight and a weapon when in alone on a goalie. His passing is good, but I won't say elite, maybe that is a concern for some people but it's not like he doesn't make some very skilled passes as well at the junior level. Hockey IQ and knowing where to be on the ice to get open both very good qualities of his.

To me the only concerns (and they are somewhat related to his height) is the worry that he might struggle on certain aspects on the defensive side of things. Inability to knock big guys off pucks, or disrupt them on the cycle. Inability to win a lot of puck battles in the corners and along the boards vs. bigger, stronger and faster players. Some question whether or not he is capable of being a driver on a line having spent significant time playing with Hughes. I felt he answered this quite well when Hughes was gone to the WJC's and his scoring didn't miss a beat. I think that any team with a skilled playmaking centre is going to be thrilled if they draft this kid.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
From my viewings of him there is no reason other than his height. He has an elite shot arsenal consisting of a quick release, hard and accurate wrister, and devastating one-timer that is on and off his stick and in the back of the net in an instant. His skating is good. He's explosive, he's very shifty and a great lateral skater that can dart left to right to left when challenging a defender. Some will say he lacks elite top end speed, but I really don't think that should be a concern when he has a good first few steps and great agility. His hands are very good in tight and a weapon when in alone on a goalie. His passing is good, but I won't say elite, maybe that is a concern for some people but it's not like he doesn't make some very skilled passes as well at the junior level. Hockey IQ and knowing where to be on the ice to get open both very good qualities of his.

To me the only concerns (and they are somewhat related to his height) is the worry that he might struggle on certain aspects on the defensive side of things. Inability to knock big guys off pucks, or disrupt them on the cycle. Inability to win a lot of puck battles in the corners and along the boards vs. bigger, stronger and faster players. Some question whether or not he is capable of being a driver on a line having spent significant time playing with Hughes. I felt he answered this quite well when Hughes was gone to the WJC's and his scoring didn't miss a beat. I think that any team with a skilled playmaking centre is going to be thrilled if they draft this kid.
I can definitely see the defensive aspect dropping players down. NHL coaches need all players to be able to play in all 3 zones and if they are any kind of liability in their own end then they will drop out of favor with them. As a Canucks fan I think he would be amazing on Pettersson's wing but I know all teams would love a deadly finisher for their #1C. I'm really interested to see how he develops and if people will again be kicking themselves because they concentrated too much on height.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Do you think Zegras is a dumb player? I think he has at least a 60 hockey IQ.
I think he exhibits many signs of tunnel vision. He does not possess quite the same degree of speed as Jack Hughes, nor is he often able to attack the middle of the ice; I am puzzled by the comparisons to Hughes. He tries to play a puck-rushing game but often has plays die on his stick. I find he tends to lose possession of the puck a lot without creating much with it. This indicates a lack of awareness about his options.

Caufield, on the other hand, knows exactly where to be in order to be dangerous with the puck, and he knows how to evade the opposition with the puck on his stick. He reads plays better than Zegras.

In terms of hockey IQ, I think Zegras is on a tier below the Dach-Krebs-Newhook tier. Out of the candidates that the Canucks might end up selecting 10th overall, I would be least happy with Zegras, or perhaps Boldy.

The three best forwards for the USNTDP team are Hughes, Caufield, and Turcotte.

Last edited:
Reactions: Numz

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can someone explain to me why Caufield shouldn't be considered a top 5 pick, other than his height? It's a serious question too. I'm not a scout or anything so I'd like to know what his big flaws and concerns about his game are.

Outside of goal scoring, the rest of his game likely won’t be any better than league average. If you think he’ll score enough to be a top five pick, he could be considered a top five pick, but wingers who lacks variety usually aren’t top five picks.

Reactions: bert

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Outside of goal scoring, the rest of his game likely won’t be any better than league average. If you think he’ll score enough to be a top five pick, he could be considered a top five pick, but wingers who lacks variety usually aren’t top five picks.
I actually think his vision is quite good; he makes quick decisions with the puck and frequently distributes it with success to open teammates during high-pressure situations. He also handles the puck well enough to side-step opponents and buy time for a shot or a pass.

As I alluded to in my previous post, he is similar in many ways to Brock Boeser. If we're rating shooting abilities relative to the best in the NHL, I think Boeser's are a step down from the very elite of the NHL. I think that's the type of shot that Caufield possesses. He has a quick release, but not the velocity of players like Ovechkin or Laine.

Boeser, too, is not great when he isn't scoring. He is a very competent playmaker, but his greatest asset by far is his wrist shot. He has had two consecutive high-20-goal, mid-50-point seasons.

I do not have a problem taking Cole Caufield in the Top 10 of this draft class. He has the upside of a 30-goal, 60-point player. He is intelligent with strong pucks skills.

Arthur Kaliyev, on the other hand, is a player I would not take in the Top 10.

Last edited:

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Laine is pretty much a player that only scores goals and does nothing else and he went second. So I'm assuming it's just because Caufield is small is the reason why he won't be a top 5. That's all I'm kinda getting at. I would go as far as saying the rest of Laine's game is below league average but I don't watch every Jets game so I could be totally off base.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I actually think his vision is quite good; he makes quick decisions with the puck and frequently distributes it with success to open teammates during high-pressure situations. He also handles the puck well enough to side-step opponents and buy time for a shot or a pass.

As I alluded to in my previous post, he is similar in many ways to Brock Boeser. If we're rating shooting abilities relative to the best in the NHL, I think Boeser's are a step down from the very elite of the NHL. I think that's the type of shot that Caufield possesses. He has a quick release, but not the velocity of players like Ovechkin or Laine.

Boeser, too, is not great when he isn't scoring. He is a very competent playmaker, but his greatest asset by far is his wrist shot. He has had two consecutive high-20-goal, mid-50-point seasons.

I do not have a problem taking Cole Caufield in the Top 10 of this draft class. He has the upside of a 30-goal, 60-point player.

You also have to keep in mind his size, which makes everything play a little worse. A 6’5 fast skater is likely to be a better skater than a 5’10 fast skater. The same applies to playmaking. A 5’7 player who has above average playmaking might not see his playmaking play much better than average in the NHL.

I think Caufield’s playmaking is hampered by his goal scoring prowess. I think he has a good hockey IQ without the puck, but he often takes a lot of bad angle shots instead of making higher percentage passes. Is that a bad hockey IQ with the puck or what you’d expect from a great goal scorer? I think he often misses on passes that you’d expect a high skill player to be able to make. It’s hard to tell if that’s due to thinking shot before pass or if that’s due to his passing vision. I tend to think it’s the former.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Laine is pretty much a player that only scores goals and does nothing else and he went second. So I'm assuming it's just because Caufield is small is the reason why he won't be a top 5. That's all I'm kinda getting at. I would go as far as saying the rest of Laine's game is below league average but I don't watch every Jets game so I could be totally off base.
Laine has a much better shot than Caufield. The shot itself was understood to be second only to Ovechkin's. His skating is his most noteworthy weakness. He has such a lanky, predictable way of moving with the puck and a lack of explosiveness in his strides. He is easy to contain with the puck on his stick in the NHL, hence he no longer has the puck-rushing opportunities he had at lower levels or the space and time in the offensive zone to create his own chances.

There was a certain infatuation with his height and reach as well. Rarely are there elite 6'4'' snipers available for teams to draft.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Laine is a much better goal scorer. Better release, shoots harder, same ability to find space to shoot. He’s also 6’4 200 with better playmaking and puck skills, similar level skating. Laine had a bad year, but is a lot more talented than Caufield.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Laine has a much better shot than Caufield. The shot itself was understood to be second only to Ovechkin's. His skating is his most noteworthy weakness. He has such a lanky, predictable way of moving with the puck and a lack of explosiveness in his strides. He becomes easy to contain.

There was a certain infatuation with his height and reach as well. Rarely are there elite 6'4'' snipers available for teams to draft.

I 100% agree Laine's shot is insane, but if a player can score just as many goals then does it matter if he does it with lasers or in other ways? I think sometimes the sexier things aren't always the better things. I mean a goal is a goal, you know?
Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying that Laine and Caufield are remotely the same type of player. Just talking about players only doing one thing.

Reactions: McFlyingV

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You also have to keep in mind his size, which makes everything play a little worse. A 6’5 fast skater is likely to be a better skater than a 5’10 fast skater. The same applies to playmaking. A 5’7 player who has above average playmaking might not see his playmaking play much better than average in the NHL.

I think Caufield’s playmaking is hampered by his goal scoring prowess. I think he has a good hockey IQ without the puck, but he often takes a lot of bad angle shots instead of making higher percentage passes. Is that a bad hockey IQ with the puck or what you’d expect from a great goal scorer? I think he often misses on passes that you’d expect a high skill player to be able to make. It’s hard to tell if that’s due to thinking shot before pass or if that’s due to his passing vision. I tend to think it’s the former.
He can think shot before pass all he wants if the Oilers take him.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I 100% agree Laine's shot is insane, but if a player can score just as many goals then does it matter if he does it with lasers or in other ways? I think sometimes the sexier things aren't always the better things. I mean a goal is a goal, you know?
Not that I expect Draisaitl to score 50 next year, but this really couldn't be more true. He's a guy who has a great wrister and great one-timer, but we're not talking Ovi or Laine level shots. If guys know how to get open, get shots off with velocity, a quick release, and good placement they will score a lot of goals in this league, especially when you pair them with a good playmaker.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
I don't think Caufield has the raw scoring talent that Laine possesses. Patrik Laine is actually a very intelligent player, but he has inherent skating issues that make him virtually ineffective with the puck at a standstill.

Laine is expected to score at least 30 every year and has a 44-goal season on his resume. Other than Ovechkin, he is the most dangerous shooter in the NHL.

Caufield will have to work much harder to score 30 goals in the NHL. His shot is much lighter a la Boeser's.

Laine was selected second overall because his ability to score from anywhere in the offensive zone makes up entirely for his lack of elusiveness with the puck. Caufield does not have that ability, hence his prowess as a scorer does not outweigh his deficiencies to the extent that he should be considered worthy of a second-overall pick.

Reactions: CanuckCity

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I don't think Caufield has the raw scoring talent that Laine possesses. Patrik Laine is actually a very intelligent player, but he has inherent skating issues.

Laine is expected to score at least 30 every year and has a 44-goal season on his resume. Other than Ovechkin, he is the most dangerous shooter in the NHL.

Caufield will have to work much harder to score 30 goals in the NHL. His shot is much lighter a la Boeser's.
Yeah that's a good way to look at it (that he'll have to work harder to score). A player with a ridiculous shot can still score a lot in the NHL even if the rest of the game didn't translate as well, where as a player that scores in other ways has a much greater chance of it not translating.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I don't wanna to piss off anyone here but...

Its a no brainer that Cole will score many many goals in the NHL, from the get go
and its unbelievable how people are still doubting him, trying to think up reasons why he won't be this or be that
or this player is much better what he is... nuts.... needs to work harder to score goals what Laine in the NHL,? yeah right, why?
because his shot is not as heavy as - insert player - , bull - people need to clean up their goggles or something

PS. Even after last season people doubted DeBrincat, so i guess there's nothing new under the sun, although...
the number of doubters, of smaller players are a minority nowadays, but there's people you simply can not reach i guess.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I don't wanna to piss off anyone here but...

Its a no brainer that Cole will score many many goals in the NHL, from the get go
and its unbelievable how people are still doubting him, trying to think up reasons why he won't be this or be that
or this player is much better what he is... nuts.... needs to work harder to score goals what Laine in the NHL,? yeah right, why?
because his shot is not as heavy as - insert player - , bull - people need to clean up their goggles or something

PS. Even after last season people doubted DeBrincat, so i guess there's nothing new under the sun, although...
the number of doubters, of smaller players are a minority nowadays, but there's people you simply can not reach i guess.
I'm actually someone who wanted Caufield as soon as the Canucks pulled pick 10 from the lottery and still hope they get him. You are on the same side as me in liking him as a prospect so I've been quite interested in finding out why he's ranked outside the top 10 in most lists. It's always good to get as many different opinions as possible, I think.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Laine has a much better shot than Caufield. The shot itself was understood to be second only to Ovechkin's. His skating is his most noteworthy weakness. He has such a lanky, predictable way of moving with the puck and a lack of explosiveness in his strides. He is easy to contain with the puck on his stick in the NHL, hence he no longer has the puck-rushing opportunities he had at lower levels or the space and time in the offensive zone to create his own chances.

Laine is definitely the better shooter (much harder) but Laine is literally worthless if he isn't scoring goals, so Caufield has that going for him. Yes he is 6'4 but he doesn't play like it, he floats like a turd.

Last edited:

Alienato

Feb 23, 2019
Oulu
Laine is definitely the better shooter (much harder) but Laine is literally worthless if he isn't scoring goals, so Caufield has that going for him. Yes he is 6'4 but he doesn't play like it, he floats like a turd.

Youre totally right. Good multitool is usually more effective choise than powertool. Like in Laine's case. When GK's learned how to counter he's primary shot sector he went down by -5.9% SOG compared last 2 season avg and had 14 goal posts. He started struggling to produce any goals and even to keep he's game up (-23 -/+) in some point. But on march he started to improve... first showing bit he's "lost hockey iq" by learning passing skill and then also hitting net.

So if Caufield has good skillset, hockey iq, intuitio for goal scoaring spots it wouldnt be hard to surpass world best "shot".
Anyway what comes to Caufield I have to admin that I havent followed USDP, but like Hughes he has been doing impressive job at WJC u18. Caufield has also great changes to break u18 single tournament record 14 goals (Ovi 2002) and with last performances also 21 points (Kucherov 2011) hard but still possible.

Those are my hopes in this tournament beside that Finland wins championship :)

Peeps

May 24, 2017
Sans titre 4.jpg

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
ill gladly take him at 13th if we keep our pick. the guy has scored and excelled at every level in his life, i dont see that changing. even if hes not as good as debrincat, thats irrelevant, i think the kids gonna have a fine career.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
ill gladly take him at 13th if we keep our pick. the guy has scored and excelled at every level in his life, i dont see that changing. even if hes not as good as debrincat, thats irrelevant, i think the kids gonna have a fine career.
Doubt he drops even close to that. If the Canucks can pick him and dont the only way I wont throw my TVs and computers out into the pool is if we picked Boldy

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

I do not have a problem taking Cole Caufield in the Top 10 of this draft class. He has the upside of a 30-goal, 60-point player. He is intelligent with strong pucks skills.

Arthur Kaliyev, on the other hand, is a player I would not take in the Top 10.
Boeser as a rookie was absolute in the top tier of shooters in the NHL. This year he has been a shadow of his former self since coming back from his back injury and other wrist issues. Despite that he still continues to produce at a similar pace, which is pretty incredible. Rookie Boeser playing with Pettersson could score 40-50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad