F Cayden Lindstrom - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2024 Draft)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Cam Robinson from EP also said he wouldn't be surprised at all that Lindstrom is the 2nd forward off the board.

Eiserman's an elite goal scorer and teams will value that, but he doesn't have great size and the rest of his game isn't jumping off the page.. so if you're looking at the dev curve of Lindstrom, with his package of size and skills.. that's an enticing package.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
We saw Sillinger go 12th, Geekie 11th and Danielson 9th in the last three drafts. I think it’s reasonable to think it’s possible we see Lindstrom go in that range.
With his size someone is bound to take him in the top 10 I think as his physical skills and effort are NHL transferrable but not sure about his offense time will tell.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
With his size someone is bound to take him in the top 10 I think as his physical skills and effort are NHL transferrable but not sure about his offense time will tell.
I do think time will be a factor. Big strong guys who can lower the shoulder, go inside, and drive the net are always a valuable commodity in the NHL if they can also finish. But that’s something you have to build to in the NHL, even if you were great at it in junior. Look at Lawson Crouse. It’s taken a while. Look at others who never had the time to get there (I’m thinking of Virtanen but he had other issues).

I don’t think Lindstrom is really a one trick pony, though. I think there’s some PLD in there, too.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Lindstrom very plainly has more skill than guys like Crouse and Virtanen ever had. Totally reasonable to question if he can keep up his draft year production like has has so far but if he does, that puts him in an elite tier of draft year prospects when combined with his toolset. Crouse scored less than a PPG in his draft year and Virtanen barely put up a PPG in his draft+1 year. Lindstrom has 1.38 PPG so far this year.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
a lot of people that watch the team seem to like his linemate a tad bit more, but his blend of size, strength, decision making, passing and shooting feels like a package so tantalizing that you could convince yourself to nab over anyone not named Celebrini.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
What would be the concern?
When I’ve watched him, he doesn’t stir his line. Basha is often more involved and making it happen.

Don’t get me wrong, he has the tools to be elite, I’m just not sure he has the hockey brain to fully utilize it.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Granted I've only watched one game, but both he and Basha were driving play, and I saw Lindstrom make consistently good and often creative decisions, plus a few mistakes like you'd expect. Small sample size but no concerns at all about this hockey IQ question from that one watch.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I really like his game, and his profile is one of my favorite archetypes of forwards, perhaps I just need to catch more of him, only about a game and a half of actual game viewing, but from that and watching his highlights I get the idea that he could improve his abilities to drive to the net and get inside a bit. As well as establish himself as a net front presence a bit more. Can a more dedicated WHL viewer confirm or deny?

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
When I’ve watched him, he doesn’t stir his line. Basha is often more involved and making it happen.

Don’t get me wrong, he has the tools to be elite, I’m just not sure he has the hockey brain to fully utilize it.
In the times I have watched Lindstrom this year, I have never come away thinking he has IQ issues. I've actually thought he has a rather good hockey IQ.

Something that could possibly keep him out of the top 3-5 is him not having an elite craftiness/creative gear. When you compare him to other top 3-5 picks, usually they are elite producers/creators, but Lindstrom is still above average in that area. I'd probably put him in my top 3 if I had to make a ranking right now. He's got it all; great frame, great skater, a center, good hockey IQ, great compete, and really good shooter.

Side note: That Basha kid looks like a great player too. I can see him finding his way into the top 20 if all goes well.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
In the times I have watched Lindstrom this year, I have never come away thinking he has IQ issues. I've actually thought he has a rather good hockey IQ.

Something that could possibly keep him out of the top 3-5 is him not having an elite craftiness/creative gear. When you compare him to other top 3-5 picks, usually they are elite producers/creators, but Lindstrom is still above average in that area. I'd probably put him in my top 3 if I had to make a ranking right now. He's got it all; great frame, great skater, a center, good hockey IQ, great compete, and really good shooter.

Side note: That Basha kid looks like a great player too. I can see him finding his way into the top 20 if all goes well.
He's big, but not overly physical. I don't feel like he truly uses his size that well. I think its a positive that he isn't producing because of his size, but I personally DO see the IQ stuff. I see a Top 10-12 pick but not the Top 3 that others see. Only time will tell.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
He's big, but not overly physical. I don't feel like he truly uses his size that well.

I'd disagree a bit here, I'd say he's inconsistent. There are times/games where he plays mean, throws big hits, uses his size around the net, but then also games & moments where he doesn't.

Agree with u more on the IQ question. It's not bad, but with the puck in particular there's times where it doesn't seem like he can find a play. Playing with Basha also probably highlights it b/c he processes the game so quickly.

Off the puck I think Lindstrom is pretty good about getting himself in position to shoot but I wouldn't expect him to be an elite 'line driving' player. Put him with a great play driver & you could have a big time goal scorer though.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
a lot of people that watch the team seem to like his linemate a tad bit more, but his blend of size, strength, decision making, passing and shooting feels like a package so tantalizing that you could convince yourself to nab over anyone not named Celebrini.
Basha is great, I’d happily take him with a mid-late 1st round pick. But scouting isn’t about who is better now, it’s about who will be the better NHLer over the course of their careers. From the games I’ve watched, I’d say Lindstrom and Basha are equally play-drivers on their line. But Lindstrom’s tools and potential are so much greater than Basha, which is what sets them apart as prospects.

I don’t think Lindstrom has IQ issues at all, I’d call him average in that regard.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Like I sort of see the Byfield comparison, I would say Lindstrom has better skating and Byfield was more creative/had softer hands, but they’re similar in the IQ department. I just feel if lindstrom truly had the mind for the game that people think, he would be putting up 110 points this year with all his tools.

Big body, good hands, good shot, good team. Great skater. So yeah he’ll go high and probably put up 85 or so in his draft year, but I think there are a few others I have ahead in terms of ceiling.

Reactions: Darkstar

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Like I sort of see the Byfield comparison, I would say Lindstrom has better skating and Byfield was more creative/had softer hands, but they’re similar in the IQ department. I just feel if lindstrom truly had the mind for the game that people think, he would be putting up 110 points this year with all his tools.

Big body, good hands, good shot, good team. Great skater. So yeah he’ll go high and probably put up 85 or so in his draft year, but I think there are a few others I have ahead in terms of ceiling.

I haven't followed Lindstrom until recently so I'd like to hear more about his trajectory.

I'm okay with a guy not being the best problem solver at this age, as long as he's trying things and showing some progress. How long has he been this 6'4 / 6'5 beast with incredible tools? Is he just starting to figure out what he can do with his body? Or is there a consistent pattern of mistakes where he isn't learning or trying new things?

You might recall all the low IQ comments about Tim Stutzle in his draft year, he was that super toolsy guy who was making mistakes. People weren't seeing the big picture that he was learning and figuring it out.

mrshootthepuck

Jun 30, 2023

110 points would be ridiculous, he would be a lock for 1st overall if that was his final total. Only 20yr olds and elite 19's put up those type of scoring totals. Hard pressed to find another draft eligible in recent memory outside of Bedard who has done that.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
110 points would be ridiculous, he would be a lock for 1st overall if that was his final total. Only 20yr olds and elite 19's put up those type of scoring totals. Hard pressed to find another draft eligible in recent memory outside of Bedard who has done that.

I agree in spirit, it's a crazy high number.

But in my recent memory, 2020 had a bunch of guys put up totals like that. Rossi and Perfetti, Byfield paced it, Laf as well. Last year Andrew Cristall paced it. Maybe some others.

Edit: Just remembered that Jordan Dumais hit that in his draft year. 109 pts to be exact. He was drafted 96th OA.

Last edited:

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022

On pace for 55 goals and 95 points

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Well most people have him as the 2nd player taken. My point is Byfield was sort of in the same boat. Elite tools but not really elite elite production.

Also Medicine Hat is pretty good, with his tools 100 should, in theory, be in reach.

On pace for 55 goals and 95 points
Yes I had him coming off his pace slightly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad