F Cayden Lindstrom - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2024 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Ouch... another mature athlete like Byfield / Serron Noel / Etem? His feet look very quick to me.
I know a lot of people won’t like that I said it, but he could be - it all depends on if you think he can figure it out like say Nicolas Roy or if he is in the Serron Noel/Isaac Rattclife category.

I have heard a lot of people say the same thing in regards to his skating, maybe my assessment is off but from what I’ve seen, he has great acceleration but his top-speed isn’t very good and the way he moves looks inefficient, I get the feeling he exerts a good deal of energy than he should this way his skating is now.

His 4-way mobility is also downright bad - you either see him going in a straight line or sitting in front of the net, he isn’t one to change direction and manipulate defenders with his feet work, but that’s like most bigger forwards.

Reactions: cheesymc

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I know a lot of people won’t like that I said it, but he could be - it all depends on if you think he can figure it out like say Nicolas Roy or if he is in the Serron Noel/Isaac Rattclife category.

I have heard a lot of people say the same thing in regards to his skating, maybe my assessment is off but from what I’ve seen, he has great acceleration but his top-speed isn’t very good and the way he moves looks inefficient, I get the feeling he exerts a good deal of energy than he should this way his skating is now.

His 4-way mobility is also downright bad - you either see him going in a straight line or sitting in front of the net, he isn’t one to change direction and manipulate defenders with his feet work, but that’s like most bigger forwards.
I don't think his skating is worse than average but he only has one move and that's straight ahead/crash the net with full force. He can't think the game fast and the higher you go the smaller the holes/time frame to make good decisions with the puck. Big reason why guys like Yakupov, Puljujarvi didn't live up to expectations. I think he'll be able to carve out a bottom 6 energy role if he starts caring more defensively but like Ranta will be a one dimensional type of player. Is at least more physically dominant than Ranta to help him stick in a checking role.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's got nothing going on upstairs. His physical tools are amazing but his hockey IQ, or lack of it has me very hesitant of being high on him. Reminds me a lot of Avs prospect Sampo Ranta. Hockey IQ is by far the most important trait for me, if you can't think you have a high chance of busting regardless of physical tools.
He’s smart enough to put himself and the puck in high danger areas. It doesn’t take brains to lower the shoulder and drive to the inside. Every team needs guys like that.

IQ is the big one - tunnel vision is a frequent occurrence with him. I’m also not convinced on the skating.
Agree with the tunnel vision but I think the skating is good. He’s not dancing out there, it’s not flash and dangles. But he gets going quick for a big man. More of a Crouse than a Tuch.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I didn’t think his sense is good either. I also think his offensive skill is overrated. In the WHL, it’s a little easier for him to score, but for Team Canada with an all star team of CHL’ers, I thought he struggled to be more than a secondary and opportunistic offensive player. He had some keys plays, but volume-wise, he didn’t look like a guy that takes over a shift like some of the others could.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
It’s been tough for me to fairly evaluate him each the times I’ve watched him play. It’s almost like I want him to be better than he actually is because he is an entertaining player to watch.

He is definitely a player with tunnel vision. But, i absolutely love seeing a player of his size engage in physical play as much as he does. He has quick hands and I think he moves pretty well.

I think the concerns people have mentioned in previous posts are warranted. But, I think he has a good foundation to work with.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
I thought his sense was average, but not poor. He's not someone with a high-end Hockey IQ, but I think he does have decent awareness, I thought his offensive reactions were solid the last time I watched him, so I think there's some room for his Hockey sense to take a jump. He has all the tools so you have to wonder if it's something you can be willing to overlook, and I think I can, at least right now. Once the rest of the class starts to mature, I'll be more sure there.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
He's a very direct player. He's not going to make that defense-splitting pass. He's excellent on faceoffs and has a great shot. Willing to stand in the tough areas in front of the net.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I thought his sense was average, but not poor. He's not someone with a high-end Hockey IQ, but I think he does have decent awareness, I thought his offensive reactions were solid the last time I watched him, so I think there's some room for his Hockey sense to take a jump. He has all the tools so you have to wonder if it's something you can be willing to overlook, and I think I can, at least right now. Once the rest of the class starts to mature, I'll be more sure there.
Hockey sense isn’t something that you can “learn” it’s something that is instinctual, not something you can develop. Lawson Crouse is the ceiling of this player.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Impressed me alot this week-end, a serious candidate to crack the top 10 this year, enjoy!

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Its really weird the players he chose for these comparables. They all seem to have something in common...
I used those comparisons because Noel and Byfield are both giants that have significant physical advantages over their peers in juniors and both are struggling at the higher levels. I also included Etem because I'm a duck fan and he was a local LBC native who also had a physical advantage and put up ridiculous numbers in juniors, but lacked hockey sense, poor acceleration, and overall skills. I know what you are inferring, and yes, I like that my team is drafting minorities with talent (I wished they targeted Arcadia born Robertson). I'm in a diverse city and want representation and I enjoy seeing how talent rises from all corners, even when this is a rich man's sport. I'm hoping Lindstrom can be another Wheeler/Thompson and not another bust.

Reactions: Blueston and Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I used those comparisons because Noel and Byfield are both giants that have significant physical advantages over their peers in juniors and both are struggling at the higher levels. I also included Etem because I'm a duck fan and he was a local LBC native who also had a physical advantage and put up ridiculous numbers in juniors, but lacked hockey sense, poor acceleration, and overall skills. I know what you are inferring, and yes, I like that my team is drafting minorities with talent (I wished they targeted Arcadia born Robertson). I'm in a diverse city and want representation and I enjoy seeing how talent rises from all corners, even when this is a rich man's sport. I'm hoping Lindstrom can be another Wheeler/Thompson and not another bust.
Without the context it seemed odd, but I agree with what you said here :thumbu:

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Without the context it seemed odd, but I agree with what you said here :thumbu:
Yeah, I'm sometimes too lazy to text clearly on my crappy old phone. My web page often corrupts and reloads on this site for some reason, so I have to type fast.

Looking at the Youtube Lab 9ine skating footage and other clips, Lindstrom looks so crazy athletic/fast for his size. But some people mentioned that he doesn't really play like that and lacks hockey sense. I don't get to watch full junior games so I can't judge. I was just hoping that people who watch him could confirm... and it's not like that BS like what they say in football that certain ethnicities aren't good quarterbacks (even though that has been changing recently).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad