F Brayden Yager - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2023, 14th, PIT)

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
1A. Bedard, 1B. Mitchkov (this one I think will come down to who is drafting because both are future franchise players)

3A. Yager, 3B. Fantilli

5A. Dvorsky, 5B. Ritchie
I’m Really unfamiliar with the last two, who are Dvorsky and Ritchie as prospects?

Haven’t been paying much attention to 2023 outside of Bedard & Michkov since it’s been so far away but with 22 coming now seems like a good time to start paying attention to 23 more too :)

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Dvorsky was very dominant at HG and played at 15 in Extra Liga Slovakia. He currently plays in U20 Sweden. He is probably the best Slovak of a very talented generation.

Ritchie was selected No.2 in the 2021 OHL Draft. Hardly anyone has seen him played and even those who have seen him have no comparison to place the top 5 player. His nomination to such a list is totally hazardous and does not make sense since Musty is not there.

Reactions: grentthealien

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Dvorsky was very dominant at HG and played at 15 in Extra Liga Slovakia. He currently plays in U20 Sweden. He is probably the best Slovak of a very talented generation.

Ritchie was selected No.2 in the 2021 OHL Draft. Hardly anyone has seen him played and even those who have seen him have no comparison to place the top 5 player. His nomination to such a list is totally hazardous and does not make sense since Musty is not there.

The scouting report on Calum along with placing second in OHL preseason scoring sure helps his case.

He is also more than just his scoring so yes talking about him as a possible top 5 guy is perfectly acceptable at this point.

How it all pans out will be very interesting though as I think the top tier will b more than the 5 listed (with bedard/Michov 1a and 1b but Michov being signed in Russia well after the draft would cause him to go no higher than 2 IMO).

I also find your comments a bit ironic because I'm pretty sure that you arte talking about a top flight project who is freaking 14 in another thread as a sure hit so how can it be to quote you not applicable to a 16 year old?

Hardly anyone has seen him played and even those who have seen him have no comparison to place the top 5 player

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
not sure how you would even look at stats with him, his ice time was low, he was a 15 year old playing USHL, he was one of the teams best in the playoffs...he ended the year by working his way up the lines to playing a pivotal role with the team...all as a 15 year old. He will be top 5...Bedard and Mitchkov have 1 and 2 already locked up even this far out.

I find Fantilli and Charlie Stramel to be pretty similar. Stramel may be a little more skilled, and Fantilli shoots it better. I think Fantilli is a little overrated right now. He’s a good player and you are right that he played better later in the season, but I don’t see him as that skilled or having a great hockey sense. He’s big and can skate. The rest of his game isn’t that great. He’s benefited so far in his career due to his early size advantage. He’s going to need to show more to be a top 5 pick, in my opinion. I’ve seen a lot of people suggest Fantilli is a top five talent, but what I’ve seen is more of a top 10-15 talent.

Reactions: JotAlan

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
The scouting report on Calum along with placing second in OHL preseason scoring sure helps his case.

He is also more than just his scoring so yes talking about him as a possible top 5 guy is perfectly acceptable at this point.

How it all pans out will be very interesting though as I think the top tier will b more than the 5 listed (with bedard/Michov 1a and 1b but Michov being signed in Russia well after the draft would cause him to go no higher than 2 IMO).

I also find your comments a bit ironic because I'm pretty sure that you arte talking about a top flight project who is freaking 14 in another thread as a sure hit so how can it be to quote you not applicable to a 16 year old?

Be more specific in your mention by quoting precisely my message.

If you're talking about Ryan Roobroeck or Cole Eiserman, I'm just saying for the former that he should be, barring disaster, a notable prospect for 2026 based on WSI 12 MVP history. Cole Eiserman is definitely the best player. American born in 2006 and has a very impressive career path. I think you have to go back to Jack Hughes to see such an advanced American prospect at his age. He currently has the most impressive career profile with that of Aron Kiviharju. I will rank him 2nd if I had to establish a ranking for 2024; classification which would stop there.

Calum Ritchie had much less visibility. The OHL season has still not started, he had a white season last year. Very difficult to have videos of him. The only concrete element is that he was selected n ° 2. He has the profile of a first round 2023. But it is already very difficult to estimate the rank of Ty Nelson and Pano Fimis so rank Ritchie next to Fantilli, Yager and Dvorsky who have been seen much more than him. very hazardous. And above all it doesn't make sense when Musty isn't mentioned before him.

However, I find the OHL prospects very overrated and the history of the No. 2 OHL does not really plead for a top 5 NHL (Mascherin, Vilardi, Lalonde, Bertuzzi, Vierling, Othmann).

Next to Dvorsky who has been seen at work and who has much more established references, it is not a question of age. While one hadn't played official matches for 2 years in a local U15 league, the other was already playing for professionals, exploded during a major international event and started his season in U20 Sweden on a very high basis.

Strictly nothing ironic or contradictory. My thoughts are totally rational and logical.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Be more specific in your mention by quoting precisely my message.

If you're talking about Ryan Roobroeck or Cole Eiserman, I'm just saying for the former that he should be, barring disaster, a notable prospect for 2026 based on WSI 12 MVP history. Cole Eiserman is definitely the best player. American born in 2006 and has a very impressive career path. I think you have to go back to Jack Hughes to see such an advanced American prospect at his age. He currently has the most impressive career profile with that of Aron Kiviharju. I will rank him 2nd if I had to establish a ranking for 2024; classification which would stop there.

Calum Ritchie had much less visibility. The OHL season has still not started, he had a white season last year. Very difficult to have videos of him. The only concrete element is that he was selected n ° 2. He has the profile of a first round 2023. But it is already very difficult to estimate the rank of Ty Nelson and Pano Fimis so rank Ritchie next to Fantilli, Yager and Dvorsky who have been seen much more than him. very hazardous. And above all it doesn't make sense when Musty isn't mentioned before him.

However, I find the OHL prospects very overrated and the history of the No. 2 OHL does not really plead for a top 5 NHL (Mascherin, Vilardi, Lalonde, Bertuzzi, Vierling, Othmann).

Next to Dvorsky who has been seen at work and who has much more established references, it is not a question of age. While one hadn't played official matches for 2 years in a local U15 league, the other was already playing for professionals, exploded during a major international event and started his season in U20 Sweden on a very high basis.

Strictly nothing ironic or contradictory. My thoughts are totally rational and logical.

It was the 2026 drat eligible Ryan Roobroek thread.

so a 2026 draft is fine to project but a 23 draft guy isn't mainly because of the fact he plays in the OHL and that he was drafted in the #2 slot which makes zero sense.

His scouting reports and preseason play speak for themselves, that and the fact that the OHL is one of the premier pipelines to the NHL.

Here once again are some scouting reports on him.

There are three certainties in an uncertain OHL draft

High-end skill and hockey IQ. Smooth skater and offensive threat with vision and scoring abilities.

An early look at the 2021 OHL Draft

Calum Ritchie, F (Oakville Rangers)
“The real deal.” “He’s going to change an OHL franchise for the better.” “Best of the best.” Those are all terms used to describe Ritchie’s play this year after proving he’s one of the best 2005-born players in the country. I was at one of his two minor midget games with the Rangers this season and watching him pull off an incredible no-look deke around a defender to score was one of the highlights of the season for me. He had no issue being among the best players against older competition and his creativeness with the puck is superb. Ritchie is confident with the puck and dependable in his own zone – a guy who should have no issue instantly transitioning to the OHL when the time comes.

https://prospectpipeline.ca/2020/05/28/2021-ohl-draft-preview-60-top-prospects/

Just because the OHL lost last season doesn't mean that they aren't going to be relevant in the 23 draft FFS.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
It was the 2026 drat eligible Ryan Roobroek thread.

so a 2026 draft is fine to project but a 23 draft guy isn't mainly because of the fact he plays in the OHL and that he was drafted in the #2 slot which makes zero sense.

His scouting reports and preseason play speak for themselves, that and the fact that the OHL is one of the premier pipelines to the NHL.

Here once again are some scouting reports on him.

There are three certainties in an uncertain OHL draft

An early look at the 2021 OHL Draft

https://prospectpipeline.ca/2020/05/28/2021-ohl-draft-preview-60-top-prospects/

Just because the OHL lost last season doesn't mean that they aren't going to be relevant in the 23 draft FFS.

I remember very well what I said on the thread of the 2026 topic. I said that it was never too early to start talking about potential prospects since the WSI U12 tournament was a very reliable revealer.

Ryan Roobroeck has largely established himself as the best of this tournament. This is the first name in the NHL 2026 draft to stand out

Calum Ritchie has never achieved a similar performance. I have no doubt that the scouts find qualities in him. We are not selected n ° 2 of the OHL draft by chance.

However, this is not enough for the closed in a top 5. I mentioned the name of the previous n ° 2. Not really a top 5 NHL draft.

I have the impression that it will be in fashion: everyone will come up with a name regardless of the density of world hockey.

The Ontario League is no longer the number 1 benchmark in junior hockey. In the last draft under normal conditions, the best OHL players slipped.

The guy hasn't played a single OHL game. Presenting him today in the same group as Bedard, Michkov, Dvorsky, Fantilli and even Yager is nonsense. Especially when Musty isn't.

If I had to do a hazardous top 10 compared to the performances achieved and the pre-CHL hierarchies Musty would necessarily be ahead.

Last edited:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I find Fantilli and Charlie Stramel to be pretty similar. Stramel may be a little more skilled, and Fantilli shoots it better. I think Fantilli is a little overrated right now. He’s a good player and you are right that he played better later in the season, but I don’t see him as that skilled or having a great hockey sense. He’s big and can skate. The rest of his game isn’t that great. He’s benefited so far in his career due to his early size advantage. He’s going to need to show more to be a top 5 pick, in my opinion. I’ve seen a lot of people suggest Fantilli is a top five talent, but what I’ve seen is more of a top 10-15 talent.
guess we will see as the season goes on...his size, skating ability, soft hands and excellent ability to shoot off the rush is pretty nice set of skills...still early in the year and lots of time still for names to come out of no where to start rising up and big names we thought to fall.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I remember very well what I said on the thread of the 2026 topic. I said that it was never too early to start talking about potential prospects since the WSI U12 tournament was a very reliable revealer.

Ryan Roobroeck has largely established himself as the best of this tournament. This is the first name in the NHL 2026 draft to stand out

Calum Ritchie has never achieved a similar performance. I have no doubt that the scouts find qualities in him. We are not selected n ° 2 of the OHL draft by chance.

However, this is not enough for the closed in a top 5. I mentioned the name of the previous n ° 2. Not really a top 5 NHL draft.

I have the impression that it will be in fashion: everyone will come up with a name regardless of the density of world hockey.

The Ontario League is no longer the number 1 benchmark in junior hockey. In the last draft under normal conditions, the best OHL players slipped.

The guy hasn't played a single OHL game. Presenting him today in the same group as Bedard, Michkov, Dvorsky, Fantilli and even Yager is nonsense. Especially when Musty isn't.

If I had to do a hazardous top 10 compared to the performances achieved and the pre-CHL hierarchies Musty would necessarily be ahead.
lol just because Musty went 1st does not mean the 2nd overall guy couldnt be a better pro....that said Musty is an amazing talent with size, great smooth skater, silk hands and ability to rush the puck and create off the rush like few his age...it is not reklass to rank someone higher in projection...it is personal preference not reckless...myself Ritchie never played the amount of games Musty did last year not even close...yet Ritchie has come in as advertised and as well as already showing his offensive ability he is already coming back helping defensively and showing future leadership.....I love the words you choose hazardous, reckless LOL guess i should be in scouting jail...at least this was my laugh for the day...Happy Trails lol

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Okay we get it, you have a bias against the OHL for some reason and think that Musty is better, time will tell.

Also the last time we had an NHL draft under "normal" conditions the OHL had the 2,6,8,9 and 10th selections.

That's pretty damm good in my books.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I am sticking to sporting facts and not to predictions of the future based on any sporting fact.

All of the OHL scouts seem to have designated Musty as # 1. To express the opinion that Ritchie will be better than him when neither of the two players has played an official match since, is to judge them.

You know my opinion about you: you are a fraud. Firstly, a QMJHL scout like you claim is supposed to specialize in QMAAA, QBAAA and U15 maritime leagues. More individually, for American and European players aspiring to play in the league. A true QMJHL Scout doesn't spend his time looking closely at players who will never play in the league.

But you have your opinion on everything. You claim to know everything, everywhere by contradicting the specialized detection corps that are present on a daily basis.
I don't like this poster profile. It smells like a lie.
By the way, it's William Shields.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I am sticking to sporting facts and not to predictions of the future based on any sporting fact.

All of the OHL scouts seem to have designated Musty as # 1. To express the opinion that Ritchie will be better than him when neither of the two players has played an official match since, is to judge them.

You know my opinion about you: you are a fraud. Firstly, a QMJHL scout like you claim is supposed to specialize in QMAAA, QBAAA and U15 maritime leagues. More individually, for American and European players aspiring to play in the league. A true QMJHL Scout doesn't spend his time looking closely at players who will never play in the league.

But you have your opinion on everything. You claim to know everything, everywhere by contradicting the specialized detection corps that are present on a daily basis.
I don't like this poster profile. It smells like a lie.
By the way, it's William Shields.

What in the world are you going on about here?

Everyone here has an opinion on prospects, are we to take yours as the definitive most objective one?

Anyways Yager is one the guys to watch for in the 23 draft and there are alot of guys vying for the top 5 that's how good the top end of the 23 draft will be.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Okay we get it, you have a bias against the OHL for some reason and think that Musty is better, time will tell.

Also the last time we had an NHL draft under "normal" conditions the OHL had the 2,6,8,9 and 10th selections.

That's pretty damm good in my books.

You just have to look at the reality: there are fewer and fewer Canadians selected for the draft and this is a trend that will continue with the constant progress of other nations. Only Sweden and Finland seem to have reached their maximum potential.

The Ontario league is therefore less and less of a reference, especially since the best Europeans no longer go there.

2020 was a draft distorted by the absence of a U18 world championship which very often reveals European players at its peak.

In 2010 again, there could be a top 10 made up of 9 players playing in WHL and OHL. It will never happen again.

The world of hockey is changing. With the reach of Quinn and the import of Rossi it effectively gave 5 OHL players in the top 10 2020. But none until the 23rd position. Only 19 players in the first four rounds. There were 31 in 2010.

There will probably be less in the 2030 draft. I analyze the evolution each year. The change of majority is obvious. The 2040 NHL will most likely be predominantly made up of European players and Canadians will represent less than 30% of the league's players, despite the progress made in Canada East.

Good luck to the OHL 2023 prospects to dislodge Michkov, Dvorsky, Gulyayev and other Swedes or Finns from the top 10 as well as all the players of the USDP. There won't be 5. That time is over.

2022 it will be difficult with the Slovaks and Czechs who are better than before, two Russian elite prospects, two Finns who are very much on the side. I won't be surprised if there aren't any OHL players in the top 10 except Shane Wright as n°1.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You just have to look at the reality: there are fewer and fewer Canadians selected for the draft and this is a trend that will continue with the constant progress of other nations. Only Sweden and Finland seem to have reached their maximum potential.

The Ontario league is therefore less and less of a reference, especially since the best Europeans no longer go there.

2020 was a draft distorted by the absence of a U18 world championship which very often reveals European players at its peak.

In 2010 again, there could be a top 10 made up of 9 players playing in WHL and OHL. It will never happen again.

The world of hockey is changing. With the reach of Quinn and the import of Rossi it effectively gave 5 OHL players in the top 10 2020. But none until the 23rd position. Only 19 players in the first four rounds. There were 31 in 2010.

There will probably be less in the 2030 draft. I analyze the evolution each year. The change of majority is obvious. The 2040 NHL will most likely be predominantly made up of European players and Canadians will represent less than 30% of the league's players, despite the progress made in Canada East.

Good luck to the OHL 2023 prospects to dislodge Michkov, Dvorsky, Gulyayev and other Swedes or Finns from the top 10 as well as all the players of the USDP. There won't be 5. That time is over.

2022 it will be difficult with the Slovaks and Czechs who are better than before, two Russian elite prospects, two Finns who are very much on the side. I won't be surprised if there aren't any OHL players in the top 10. And if that doesn't happen this year, it will happen very soon.

You really don't like the OHL for some weird reason.

Sorry to burst your bubble though as they will continue to produce high end NHL players.

Is the rest of the world getting better, yes but then again it is the rest of the world right?

Reactions: Dominance

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
You really don't like the OHL for some weird reason.

Sorry to burst your bubble though as they will continue to produce high end NHL players.

Is the rest of the world getting better, yes but then again it is the rest of the world right?

Ontario will always produce great players. But the fact is that there are fewer and fewer of them. This is already a very visible phenomenon in NHL.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007

You do realize that Major Junior drafts are not the same as NHL drafts right? There are prospects that simply refuse to play in certain cities and get picked lower, but it has no reflection on their playing ability. Perhaps Sudbury had Ritchie ranked ahead of Musty but he told them he wouldn’t play for them. This is quite common in QMJHL, OHL and WHL drafts.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
You do realize that Major Junior drafts are not the same as NHL drafts right? There are prospects that simply refuse to play in certain cities and get picked lower, but it has no reflection on their playing ability. Perhaps Sudbury had Ritchie ranked ahead of Musty but he told them he wouldn’t play for them. This is quite common in QMJHL, OHL and WHL drafts.

Very hypothetical theory that could also be used to explain why other players better than Ritchie were selected after him. And which anyway does not apply here.

Before the OHL draft, I seemed to have read that Musty was being detected as the potential No. 1 player in the USA. His selection as No. 1 was expected by all specialists.

Considering that no hockey game has taken place since, I find it rather logical to line Musty in front of Ritchie in a mockup by following the general advice of Ontario's Scouts on the field who see the players assiduously.

I know the OHL draft order is not the same as the OHL draft order.
But today, if I have to mock 2022, I rank Nelson as 2nd OHL prospect behind Wright, followed by Fimis.

To make up for the fact that judging players that we have not seen playing for 18 months in an official match is strictly ridiculous.

So Brayden Yager... No balance sheet after 2 games. There are still 2 WHL seasons and several international tournaments. He looks like a top 10 prospect but there is not enough evidence to make a definitive comparison.

It's already very complicated to rank the prospects for 2022. So 2023 ... Yes Bedard and Michkov have been announced 1 and 2 for a long time but they are exceptional players. Thanks to an exceptional HG tournament and an extremely rare career profile, Dvorsky can be placed 3rd. But after that it is totally hazardous.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
For what it's worth Ritchie led the entire OHL in pre season scoring with 12 points in 6 games.

Musty for reference had 6 in 5 for Sudbury.

Yager though has the most meaningful points so far but scouting is more than just about points or past draft positions, it's about projections and skillsets.

Reactions: Dominance

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
For what it's worth Ritchie led the entire OHL in pre season scoring with 12 points in 6 games.

Musty for reference had 6 in 5 for Sudbury.

Yager though has the most meaningful points so far but scouting is more than just about points or past draft positions, it's about projections and skillsets.
Thank you for teaching me. If you don't see the contradiction in your message, allow me to point it out nonetheless.

I don't believe in people who say they see all the players.

I saw a lot of Bedard, Michkov and Dvorsky play. Brayden Yager never. Neither Musty. Neither Ritchie.

I know this confession puts me in a position of inferiority to very likely liars but at least I'm being honest.

I will build my opinion later.

I primarily watch NHL games, international competitions and sometimes KHL and QMJHL.

I just know that there is a certain tension among many Canadian fans who do not accept the fact that Canadian players are now in the minority and increasingly in the big league.

Musty is American and as luck would have it, I meet quite an irrational aggressiveness to promote a player most have never seen play.

Whatever happens, NHL drafts with 7 Canadians in the top 10 will probably never happen again. This time has passed for several years already and it will become more and more accentuated.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Thank you for teaching me. If you don't see the contradiction in your message, allow me to point it out nonetheless.

I don't believe in people who say they see all the players.

I saw a lot of Bedard, Michkov and Dvorsky play. Brayden Yager never. Neither Musty. Neither Ritchie.

I know this confession puts me in a position of inferiority to very likely liars but at least I'm being honest.

I will build my opinion later.

I primarily watch NHL games, international competitions and sometimes KHL and QMJHL.

I just know that there is a certain tension among many Canadian fans who do not accept the fact that Canadian players are now in the minority and increasingly in the big league.

Musty is American and as luck would have it, I meet quite an irrational aggressiveness to promote a player most have never seen play.

Whatever happens, NHL drafts with 7 Canadians in the top 10 will probably never happen again. This time has passed for several years already and it will become more and more accentuated.

I'm not sure if English isn't your first language or if you are taking a jab at me, either way no worries.

Part of your argument here isn't with me as I have never said that I have watched every player but I have seen clips on most and also evaluate leagues, scouting reports and these boards.

That and 5 bucks will get me a coffee at Starbucks.

I'm also very aware of the growth of NHL players internationally but that doesn't diminish what a hotbed the OHL is for NHL talent.

As for 7 Canadians in the top 10 probably not but that still is a very large % if it's 5 or 6 or heck even 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad