F Brady Tkachuk (2018, 4th, OTT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
What mistake did teams make with Matthew?

in my opinion he was the clear 4th overall pick in his draft class. matthews, laine, and puljujarvi were 1-2-3. while it's still obviously very early, he's had more of an impact early on than guys like dubois and juolevi and even puljujarvi though he was clearly a better gamble at the time. matthew looks like he's well on his way to developing into that 30-30 physical top six guy that every team wants.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
in my opinion he was the clear 4th overall pick in his draft class. matthews, laine, and puljujarvi were 1-2-3. while it's still obviously very early, he's had more of an impact early on than guys like dubois and juolevi and even puljujarvi though he was clearly a better gamble at the time. matthew looks like he's well on his way to developing into that 30-30 physical top six guy that every team wants.
Hard to knock the Dubois over Tkachuk pick at this point. He looks like he could be a legit 1b/2a center as soon as next year.

I also don't see the positional advantage Brady has over Matthew. He may be listed as a center but he hasn't played it heavily for over 3 years. He was a winger all of this year and last.

I think Brady is getting a bad rap around here because he's never really had the center next to him that can unlock his talent outside of Mittelstadt at the WJC. Josh Norris and Greenway aren't really those guys. He's not going to drive offense at an individual level like Svechnikov, Zadina and Wahlstrom. But, he brings a hell of a lot to the table and will be a very effective player. Teams like Buffalo, Edmonton, and NYI should be looking heavily at him. He's the LW that will perfectly compliment your franchise center. He does everything well. He works hard, is a smart player with good vision, he has size and is good around the net. He's a decent skater, and probably good for his size.

I also find people talking about his lower upside than others, which, I think is reaching. I'd take Svechnikov over him. But, the other 2 wingers are debatable. If everything goes right with Brady, you are looking at Jamie Benn. Now, that isn't a likely outcome. More realistically, you will get a player who contributes in a similar way to Landeskog.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Question: Would Tkachuk be considered overage by 1 day? Could he have been drafted last year?

Nevermind, it's the opposite... :oops:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I will add 1 problem when trying to rate Tkachuk is you wonder if some of his play is because of his linemates(ie the Sam Gagner effect)

Teams like Buffalo, Edmonton, and NYI should be looking heavily at him. He's the LW that will perfectly compliment your franchise center. He does everything well. He works hard, is a smart player with good vision, he has size and is good around the net. He's a decent skater, and probably good for his size.

As an Islander fan I really don't want to draft another LW. To me LW is the least valuable position in hockey given the amount of top end left wings in the league. Let's face it every team needs top defenseman and centers so no matter how strong your team is with those you can always use more. Then you get to wingers and I think the supply of top 6 LWs is much higher then top 6 RWs. All that being said if Tkachuk falls to 10th you probably have to take him simply because he is that much better(safer) then what else is left

Last edited:

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
I believe he has the potential to be a disappointment if he goes where the rankings are now. Other than a fine WJC, his season was avg, last season was avg, and most of all his past seasons were avg. I read where many people talk about “intangibles”.
I do agree he is strong in front of the net and in the corners, but his skating is close to below avg.
I do like him but after 10

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
I guess it's true today that every time a player gets mentioned about his character, attitude, or so-called "intangibles" some of the fans think that those are the best attributes the player has. And I agree those attributes get overrated too much but this time I'm not with them because I have a strong feeling they are wrong. It's not the case with Brady Tkachuk. He's a great passer, and a goal scorer with beautiful hands. Sad to see so many here predicting a bust just because his last name or because he has "intangibles".

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I guess it's true today that every time a player gets mentioned about his character, attitude, or so-called "intangibles" some of the fans think that those are the best attributes the player has. And I agree those attributes get overrated too much but this time I'm not with them because I have a strong feeling they are wrong. It's not the case with Brady Tkachuk. He's a great passer, and a goal scorer with beautiful hands. Sad to see so many here predicting a bust just because his last name or because he has "intangibles".

There’s too many guys chasing upside and think everyone is going to pan out, sure maybe Tkachuk doesn’t have the same upside as other guys but I think he’s going to be a top 6 forward. That’s worth a top 5 pick all day in every draft, a 50-60 point winger.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
For a "goal scorer" he sure doesn't score many goals.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I like Tkachuk but not in the top 5.

Has likely been mentioned but he seems less talented than Matt who outscored Brady at every level they have played and at most levels quite handily.

To be fair, and I’m not a huge Brady fan, but Matt played with Auston Matthews with the Dev team, Brady played with Josh Norris. Matthews had almost double the points of Norris. Add Roslovic who was also producing like crazy, and McAvoy. That’s a big difference in surrounding talent.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
To be fair, and I’m not a huge Brady fan, but Matt played with Auston Matthews with the Dev team, Brady played with Josh Norris. Matthews had almost double the points of Norris. Add Roslovic who was also producing like crazy, and McAvoy. That’s a big difference in surrounding talent.

Not just at the World Juniors... Bantam, Junior vs NCAA, etc.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Regardless, Tkachuks numbers are incredibly underwhelming for a top 5 pick, despite him being almost eligible for last years draft.

Reactions: lawrence

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The question is, would you take him over the likes of Boqvist if you're Edmonton or Buffalo, each with a gaping need on D.
He’s a much safer prospect than Boqvist. Boqvist is very boom/bust. So, it depends on how you weigh risk/reward. Generally missing in a high pick is crippling for a team. I don’t think you can miss on Tkachuk. He’ll give you a very solid return similar to a guy like Landeskog. Some high risk guy in this draft will be Ryan Strome and another will be Scheifele. So if you take Boqvist you better be sold.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Another Tkachuk potentially playing in Canada... Im happy about that so i am able to see him on TV way more from where i live.

Ill be curious where he goes.. I know alot of people assume Zadina will go to Habs but ill be curious if they decide to go with Tkachuk instead. Either way id think there is a good possibility it's either Habs or Sens

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I think it's worth mentioning that Keith Tkatchuk played with Bergevin in St Louis. Knowing he loves to help his fox hole buddies, there is a strong possibility he gets picked by the Habs.

That being said, I think at 3 it's a bit less likely to happen.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I think it's worth mentioning that Keith Tkatchuk played with Bergevin in St Louis. Knowing he loves to help his fox hole buddies, there is a strong possibility he gets picked by the Habs.

That being said, I think at 3 it's a bit less likely to happen.

Good thing Timmins is still running our drafting and not Bergevin. I can't see him passing on a player like Zadina, given Timmins history of top 10 picks. They've all been high skill, high upside picks, and they've basically panned out every time.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
He is pretty underrated by many.

He is going to be a dominant player in NHL.

Not a franchise player, but can be a first line player, no doubt.
A lot of the rankings have him as the #4 prospect. At that spot, he's certainly not underrated -- he's actually overrated, IMO. If I'm taking a winger that high, I want someone who's a big time goal scorer. That's something Tkachuk has struggled with for the past three seasons, except for at this year's WJC when he was paired with Middlestadt.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Is there a fan base in the league picking in the top 8 that actually wants him?

His shooting percentage was pathetic in the NCAA. He's nearly eligible last year.. his skating isn't very good and all the other wingers rated in the same range as him are all better in every offensive category you can measure/see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad