F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
How is he doing Hlinka?

He's playing very well.

6 points in 3 games and generating tons of chances, also has a good physical side to his play.

Looking every bit like the 1st overall pick that he's projected to be in 2020.

Reactions: Killerjas

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I want to add that I really like his leadership in the first 2 games (missed the one vs Sweden). He seems to put more emphasis on the defensive side of the game compared to last year.

Reactions: 99664987

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
He's playing very well.

6 points in 3 games and generating tons of chances, also has a good physical side to his play.

Looking every bit like the 1st overall pick that he's projected to be in 2020.

Still early. Good chance last night to see all three in action head-to-head and sure...only one game but the two Swedes were certainly as impressive -or even more so, in case of Holtz IMO- than AF.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Still early. Good chance last night to see all three in action head-to-head and sure...only one game but the two Swedes were certainly as impressive -or even more so, in case of Holtz IMO- than AF.

It is funny because some people were claiming Raymond was better than Holtz after the first 2 games. People shouldn't put too much stock in a few games of an august tournament.

Reactions: Jesse86436

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
It is funny because some people were claiming Raymond was better than Holtz after the first 2 games. People shouldn't put too much stock in a few games of an august tournament.

And I wouldn't disagree with that either. Only my first look at him last night but he reminds me somewhat of Barzal -just based on his skating! Clearly stronger skater than both Holtz and AL.

Reactions: Acadien86

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Holtz and Raymond are awesome, no doubt. So much to like with their game. Raymond is so slick with puck and Holtz shot is elite.

I see Lafreniere as the better player though as he is a more complete player, I'm really high on AL he's a very special player. I think he'll be better than Jack Hughes personally.

With AL, Holtz, Raymond, Byfield, and Barron the top of the 2020 draft is shaping up nicely already.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Holtz and Raymond are awesome, no doubt. So much to like with their game. Raymond is so slick with puck and Holtz shot is elite.

I see Lafreniere as the better player though as he is a more complete player, I'm really high on AL he's a very special player. I think he'll be better than Jack Hughes personally.

With AL, Holtz, Raymond, Byfield, and Barron the top of the 2020 draft is shaping up nicely already.
2020 draft is the one you want to tank for

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I've recorded all the Ivan Hlinka Memorial games to watch again later and strictly focus on certain players.
Unless I've been missing some serious shortcomings the first time I watch theses games, Lafreniere has a terrific grade coming.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I've recorded all the Ivan Hlinka Memorial games to watch again later and strictly focus on certain players.
Unless I've been missing some serious shortcomings the first time I watch theses games, Lafreniere has a terrific grade coming.

Do you mind sharing them?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Still, if you finish last you’re guaranteed a pick between two of Lafreniere, Byfield, Holtz, Raymond, and Barron. At this point, that is absolutely insane.

Way too early to say this is "insane". Take a look who the top 10 were projected to be in 2018 when it was 2016... it's not even close to the same. The same can be said for almost every draft ever. There was once a time Veleno, Liljegren, Kabanov, Fowler, etc were viewed as 1st overall picks.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Way too early to say this is "insane". Take a look who the top 10 were projected to be in 2018 when it was 2016... it's not even close to the same. The same can be said for almost every draft ever. There was once a time Veleno, Liljegren, Kabanov, Fowler, etc were viewed as 1st overall picks.

Angelo Esposito was my favorite. Also I only think he was ranked as high as 2nd overall, but Nick Ebert is up there as well. Going from ranked as the 2nd best prospect in the draft to being drafted 2nd to last in the draft is pretty incredible.

..but yeah, it's most likely too early to lock certain guys into top-5 positions.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007

Thats not including any US players too! Loaded draft.

Reactions: snipes

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Angelo Esposito was my favorite. Also I only think he was ranked as high as 2nd overall, but Nick Ebert is up there as well. Going from ranked as the 2nd best prospect in the draft to being drafted 2nd to last in the draft is pretty incredible.

..but yeah, it's most likely too early to lock certain guys into top-5 positions.
Blake Clarke. I think he entered his draft year viewed as top 5, slipped to being passed over in 3 drafts. Hasn't played in a notable league since 2015/16. His draft year was 2014. He wasn't even good enough to catch on as an overager in the CHL.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I have a pretty good feeling that holtz, raymond, and lafreniere will be in the top 10 prospects of 2020 and you can hold me to it. I didn't have the same feeling with Veleno.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think Liljegren or Fowler were ever viewed as 1OA guys. Liljegren was never ahead of Nolan Patrick at any point, and Fowler was always behind Taylor Hall.

Guys can slip. I think Lafreniere is pretty safe, in the fact that he has already proven himself in the CHL. I'm pretty sold on Holtz and Raymond, but obviously, I'm not going to guarantee they will be top 10 picks in 22 months. I do find it funny how much some of the unproven CHL talent for the 2020 draft is pimped up though. Someone like Byfield will have a bunch of volatility in his stock until he proves something above AAA.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I don't think Liljegren or Fowler were ever viewed as 1OA guys. Liljegren was never ahead of Nolan Patrick at any point, and Fowler was always behind Taylor Hall.

Guys can slip. I think Lafreniere is pretty safe, in the fact that he has already proven himself in the CHL. I'm pretty sold on Holtz and Raymond, but obviously, I'm not going to guarantee they will be top 10 picks in 22 months. I do find it funny how much some of the unproven CHL talent for the 2020 draft is pimped up though. Someone like Byfield will have a bunch of volatility in his stock until he proves something above AAA.

Yep, and from what I remember, Wise (good example of slipping) and Svechnikov were ranked before Veleno.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Lafreniere > J. Hughes

All of our Canadian best talents have been Centres and D since Orr. Predominately centres post Gretzky and Lemieux.

Lafreniere is the best wing prospect Canada has had in several generations.

This is your 2020 #1 pick and Canada's future #1 winger for our best-on-best national team flanked beside McDavid. That size, skill, physical mean streak, and deadly shot will destroy teams when Canada's best get to play together again.

Reactions: Ranger Spice

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Lafreniere > J. Hughes

All of our Canadian best talents have been Centres and D since Orr. Predominately centres post Gretzky and Lemieux.

Lafreniere is the best wing prospect Canada has had in several generations.

This is your 2020 #1 pick and Canada's future #1 winger for our best-on-best national team flanked beside McDavid. That size, skill, physical mean streak, and deadly shot will destroy teams when Canada's best get to play together again.
I dig the patriotic fire, mate! I’ll happily jump on the AL > JH train with you, and defend it to the last breath no matter what picture the stats paint. :)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I dig the patriotic fire, mate! I’ll happily jump on the AL > JH train with you, and defend it to the last breath no matter what picture the stats paint. :)

Lafreniere is our Howe/Richard.

I've watched every game McDavid has played since he was 17. I'm telling you that Lefreniere is his winger.

Wait until 2022 best-on-best. Finns think they have a "Golden Era" beginning then, but watch McDavid-Lafreniere destroy the rest of the world, hockey is Canada's game.

We are the hegemonic power and have our best winger who is a combo of Howe/Richard/Hull we haven't had since pre-99/66 era.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad