F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
The real answer is the age groupe they have always played with... They started in each category at the same time, wether they were born in March or October.

But Lafrenière is a late bloomer. 3 years ago he wasn't expected to be a future franchise player. He has taken huge steps. Who knows where his development will lead him?

Very few players are expected to be NHL superstars at 13

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Matthews over Dahlin?
Eh, they are both pretty close. I personally like Dahlin a bit more, but I didn't want to upset some people. For me, Matthews has always been hard to rank. There are people that say he's almost as good as McDavid and there are people that say he's overrated.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Eh, they are both pretty close. I personally like Dahlin a bit more, but I didn't want to upset some people. For me, Matthews has always been hard to rank. There are people that say he's almost as good as McDavid and there are people that say he's overrated.

Are those supposed to be pre draft rankings or now?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Are people really comparing Lafreniere’s 16 year old draft-2 season to McDavid’s 17 year old draft-1 season? And using that unfavourable comparison as a slight on Lafreniere?

Why
McDavid's draft -1 season was his 16-year-old season by IIHF terms. Lafreniere is just a late birthday.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
1. McDavid
2. Lafreniere
3. Hughes
4. Matthews
5. Dahlin
6. Eichel
7. Laine

In my opinion.
I'd put Matthews and Eichel ahead of everyone but McDavid. They were both proto-typical franchise centers that you knew would stick to that position at the NHL. That provides significant value over wingers with similar levels of volatility in projection. I take them over Dahlin due to the fact defenders tend to be much more volatile in regards to projection. Hughes is the wild card, as he doesn't have the traditional build of an NHL center (not only is he short, but he's very slight). Anytime its close, you always go with the center at the top of the draft when you get the chance. No position drive play at 5v5 more, it is almost impossible to find franchise centers outside of the top 10 of a draft, even outside the top 5 is rare and they are easier to predict than defenders.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I hope this is a joke.
How many times have you seen him score live? It’s something he needs to get out of his game or some player will plant him. I’m sure he’s been told. No need to risk an injury when you are that talented

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Scored a goal already, halfway thru the 1st vs Switzerland. Nice feed from Noel. Has scored in all 5 games for the U18 team (including 2 exhibitions games).

Reactions: Jesse86436

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong but one thing that is so special about Lafrenière is that it's like he came from nowhere. I mean, players like Crosby, McDavid, Tavares were dominating their age group for many years before their junior draft. Lafrenière didn't.

In his first year in Bantam AAA (13 yo), his stats looked just ordinary, he finished with 19 points while Xavier Parent finished with 49.

In his second year in Bantam AAA (14 yo), he finished first in scoring with 69 points but it was on par with what was done before and after by scoring leaders in that league. And that season some of the best players in his age group (Samuel Poulin, Xavier Parent and Xavier Simoneau) were playing Midget AAA.

It was really in Midget AAA (15 yo) that he exploded and put up numbers never seen since the 90's by a player his age.
Could this be because he just matured physically earlier than the competition? Because he looks to be way ahead of the curve (just his frame/weight). I guess next 2 seasons will tell more.

Reactions: Jesse86436

Malmo

Apr 6, 2008
His playstyle reminds me a bit of Crosby with the he way he skates and protects the puck. Very strong on the puck. Obviously he's not as good as Sid, but I feel his playstyle is somewhat similar.

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
Hughes > Lafrenière
Can't wait to see these 2 players when the playing field is leveled and little jack isn't playing in a hot-house environment any longer. You Muricans love to overrate your prospects. I can still recall when certain Murican heavy-breathers said Eichel was better than McDavid.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Can't wait to see these 2 players when the playing field is leveled and little jack isn't playing in a hot-house environment any longer. You Muricans love to overrate your prospects. I can still recall when certain Murican heavy-breathers said Eichel was better than McDavid.
Haha I doubt many Americans were saying that. Besides, if you want to talk about overrating players, talk to some Leafs fans that say Matthews is better than McDavid. And guess what? Those Leafs fans are mostly Canadian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->