Speculation: Extended Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We will have to agree to disagree. Different players, but Matt Martin was a full-time NHLer at 21. Chlapik is going on 24 and hasn't established himself on a perennial bottom feeder. I just don't see Chlapik making it as a full-time NHL player.

I hope that you're right on this one!
Martin also made the nhl as an enforcer a role that doesnt exist anymore. Neither are anything special, id rather the young player that has shown some offensive upside that plays the more valuable position at this point. Thats it really.

Reactions: GCK

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We will have to agree to disagree. Different players, but Matt Martin was a full-time NHLer at 21. Chlapik is going on 24 and hasn't established himself on a perennial bottom feeder. I just don't see Chlapik making it as a full-time NHL player.

I hope that you're right on this one!

Martin made the NHL as an enforcer that could skate. Enforcers used to just have to fight, then it evolved and they had to keep pace. Other than being able to keep pace, Martin is kind of a useless hockey player.

Chlapik is just starting out and I think he'll have a decent 6 or 7 year run as a useful bottom 6 player. Win some faceoffs, pk, be a general pita to play against.

Martin's primary function was a deterrent or instigator of fisticuffs. I think Chlapik will bring more to the table

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I was referring more to the fact that he has something to contribute on any line.

BTW, here is Dean McAmmond beating down Maxime Talbot in the 1st round of the 2007 playoffs.

Good for McAmmond, but he is not a fighter. It reminds me of Phillips doing ballroom dances. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would actually counter that by saying McAmmond was one of the fastest players in the league, in fact, for a smallish player he needed speed to get around the ice and be effective.

I recal McAmmond as having good to very good speed, but not elite as I think Formenton has. I liked McAmmond but he is not feisty nor a Sxxx-disturber like Formenton.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
McAmmond is not a player who I would say is similar to Formenton. Formenton will be one of the fastest skater in the league and plays with an edge. McAmmond was not as fast and did not play with an edge.

McAmmond was sneaky fast. he had such a smooth and efficient skating motion. Looked like he was going slow but he was cookin'!

If he lived in teh wild west his nickname would have been Ol' sexy feet McAmmond!

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
While we are waiting for training camp to start it might be worth scouting a few players competing for roster spots. Here is a game from the Belleville Senators which took place back in February. It is another chance to see Josh Norris, Alex Formenton and Logan Brown.

Here is the gamecenter summary:
TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Reactions: Sweatred

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
The other teams top two centres If we play in a all Canadian division:

Toronto- Matthews, Tavares
Edmonton- McDavid, Draisaitl
Vancouver-Pettersson, Horvat
Winnipeg- Scheifele, Stastny,
Calgary- Monahan, Backlund
Montreal- Suzuki, Kotkaniemi

I think we are going to get a top draft pick again! I think we might want to draft a centre..

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Martin made the NHL as an enforcer that could skate. Enforcers used to just have to fight, then it evolved and they had to keep pace. Other than being able to keep pace, Martin is kind of a useless hockey player.

Chlapik is just starting out and I think he'll have a decent 6 or 7 year run as a useful bottom 6 player. Win some faceoffs, pk, be a general pita to play against.

Martin's primary function was a deterrent or instigator of fisticuffs. I think Chlapik will bring more to the table

Matt Martin was on one of the best 4th lines in the NHL for a few yrs with the NYI & they tried to re-unite them again last yr. Clearly Martin is getting older & not the same player any more.

Good for McAmmond, but he is not a fighter. It reminds me of Phillips doing ballroom dances. :)

Another example of how soft Ottawa was when McAmmond had to be the guy who stepped up thanks to JM. McAmmond is also the guy Pronger took out in the SC final & Ottawa had no response.

Reactions: Cosmix

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Things will have to start happening fast if training camp is starting Dec 7. Assuming a 14 day quarantine for players travelling, I have a hard time seeing those dates working.
Good point. A couple of possibilities though is that one the NHL gets some exemption for the quarantine period by taking part in some testing. The 2nd option, which seems likely, is that many of the Sens players have likely been informed about this and could be heading to Ottawa already or soon in anticipation of this. They are likely eager to get back on the ice and normally players show up before training camp starts.

But with that said the league needs to figure out a solution with the NHLPA already.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The other teams top two centres If we play in a all Canadian division:

Toronto- Matthews, Tavares
Edmonton- McDavid, Draisaitl
Vancouver-Pettersson, Horvat
Winnipeg- Scheifele, Stastny,
Calgary- Monahan, Backlund
Montreal- Suzuki, Kotkaniemi

I think we are going to get a top draft pick again! I think we might want to draft a centre..

We got ours this draft. Stuetzle has elite 1st line potential and Dorion and Mann have both said that's where he will play one day. Petersson has shown it can be done at a young age, and I think Stuetzle is way more solidly built (and has the elite wheels to play at the pro speed).

And between Brown, Norris, Pinto, White, and Greig - I'm very hopefully we are set down the middle.

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
We got ours this draft. Stuetzle has elite 1st line potential and Dorion and Mann have both said that's where he will play one day. Petersson has shown it can be done at a young age, and I think Stuetzle is way more solidly built (and has the elite wheels to play at the pro speed).

And between Brown, Norris, Pinto, White, and Greig - I'm very hopefully we are set down the middle.
I am still greedy hoping the Sens draft Beniers!

Centres
Stuetzle
Beniers
Norris
Greig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad