Speculation: Extended Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

One last note, the seven teams that did not participate in the Return to Play this past summer? They’re going to get some good news. They’ve asked for some extra training camp time and I’m told that the NHL and NHLPA have tentatively agreed that those teams could have extra training camp time ahead of the normal training camps, whenever that is next season.

A league source confirmed Tuesday that the NHL and NHL Players’ Association have an agreement on a general framework but nothing has been finalized yet and likely won’t until both sides set an official start date for training camps. But the tentative framework contemplates extra days of training camp which would be on the front end of the normal training camp period for the Ducks, Kings, Sharks, Devils, Senators, Red Wings and Sabres (if they choose to do so). There’s also talk of extra preseason games for those teams but that part I don’t think has been agreed to at this point.

In an email to this newspaper, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly wrote the league and the NHL Players’ Association have a general agreement on the structure of extra pre-camp workouts for those seven teams, but the two sides have not yet finalized any details.

Which prospects will benefit the most from an extended training camp? Which darkhorse prospects have a better chance of making the team because of this?

Reactions: derriko and bert

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Which prospects will benefit the most from an extended training camp? Which darkhorse prospects have a better chance of making the team because of this?

I think L. Brown, Formenton, Lajoie & Jaros could all benefit from an extended training camp to give the coaching staff a longer look & hopefully change some minds as to whether they are NHL ready or not. Three of those guys need to add a little more edge to their game if they want to change some minds.

Reactions: Cosmix

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Why are there rules around when teams can run training camps?

What would stop us from bringing in a bunch of our non-playing prospects right now, throw them in a little bubble for a while and run a bunch of NHL practices with them? They could probably use the practice.

Reactions: senswon

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

What would stop us from bringing in a bunch of our non-playing prospects right now, throw them in a little bubble for a while and run a bunch of NHL practices with them? They could probably use the practice.

The rules are established in the CBA

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

Nhlpa collective bargaining agreement says teams cannot have any role in off season training, not where they train, not what they eat, can't supply trainers or or compensate them financially for off season training, nor are they allowed to give the player a training schedule in the off season.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
A long training should benefit Norris and Brown as they compete for playing time vs the incumbent C’s...

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Nhlpa collective bargaining agreement says teams cannot have any role in off season training, not where they train, not what they eat, can't supply trainers or or compensate them financially for off season training, nor are they allowed to give the player a training schedule in the off season.
That's odd. I would have thought the young players would want that stuff. Maybe the vets want the break from the grind more.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's odd. I would have thought the young players would want that stuff. Maybe the vets want the break from the grind more.

Part of that is for NCAA kids to maintain eligibility. Another part of that is the different leagues tend to start earlier (especially in Europe). Can't mess too much with the Euro leagues with the agreements we have in place with them, and the CHL.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

It’s because poor teams can’t compete with rich teams
Outcry because Leafs let players train in their facility in the offseason

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

Nah dude it's a union workers rights thing. It's literally so the owners can't control a players life. Players have families and unions promote time off without ownerships bothering you with your family. In any good union.

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
I think the players who will benefit the most from an extended training camp are L. Brown & Brannstrom

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
He has less than a 0 percent chance of making this team. Which I think is a good thing, they have depth.

Yeah, people laughed at me when I was pumping Paul and Beaudin a while back too.

Davidsson's been sidetracked by injuries, but the team trusted him with 6 NHL games last season. He was also one of the last cuts at Columbus' camp a few years ago when Dorion targeted him in a trade.

You're off base if you think he has zero chance of coming in and impressing in camp.

Plus, I didn't say he was a "light horse".

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, people laughed at me when I was pumping Paul and Beaudin a while back too.

Davidsson's been sidetracked by injuries, but the team trusted him with 6 NHL games last season. He was also one of the last cuts at Columbus' camp a few years ago when Dorion targeted him in a trade.

You're off base if you think he has zero chance of coming in and impressing in camp.

Plus, I didn't say he was a "light horse".
Fair enough , but do you actually think he is going to beat out all but 1 of these players coming into training camp? Norris, Balcers, L. Brown, Formenton, Abramov? Especially considering how they are building this team? He is very small and play on the perimiter. I just dont see it.

Big reason he got those games was because they didnt want to disrupt the rhythm those players were playing in at the AHL level last year as they were all outplaying him substantially.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Abramov (imo) would have started the season in Ottawa last year, he had that good of a camp. Can see Abe benefiting from an extended training camp as well, he has been lighting it up in Liiga, 4 goals in2 games. Maybe Dadonov can be a russian sniper mentor for him

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Maybe Chlapik is a dark horse to make the team . He has versatility.. can play C or wing. He has some experience with the club and is responsible two ways.

I think he has a better chance than Abramov or Davidsson. Not saying he is a better scorer but Chlapik is better suited to play in the bottom 6 and can play a heavier game.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Davidsson plays RW & Batherson, C. Brown, Dadonov & Watson & probably Sokolov are all ahead of him on RW & IMO he isn't suited to play on the bottom six. I think he eventually turns into trade bait if they can get some other team to take him in a trade. I don't see them extending him, but he should play a part in Belleville this coming season for a little while anyway.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Maybe Chlapik is a dark horse to make the team . He has versatility.. can play C or wing. He has some experience with the club and is responsible two ways.

I think he has a better chance than Abramov or Davidsson. Not saying he is a better scorer but Chlapik is better suited to play in the bottom 6 and can play a heavier game.

Is he even a dark horse? He has as much chance of sticking as Logan Brown IMO because you can give him limited minutes and he'll do his job.

Staff certainly seems to like him. I find him relatively unimpressive which makes me think he'll stick around.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Is he even a dark horse? He has as much chance of sticking as Logan Brown IMO because you can give him limited minutes and he'll do his job.

Staff certainly seems to like him. I find him relatively unimpressive which makes me think he'll stick around.

I guess it depends on how you pencil players in to start out with..Do you have players penciled in ahead of Chlapik for example.. He is not a total dark horse.
LW
Tkachuk
Stutzle
Formenton
Paul
Chlapik/Balcers/ L Brown

C Depth
White
Tierney
Norris
Anisimov / Chlapik / L Brown

RW Depth
Dadanov
Batherson
Brown
Watson
? Balcers / Chlapik ? Abramov

Tkachuk - White - Dadonov
Stutzle - Tierney - Batherson
Formenton- Norris - Brown
Paul - Anisimov - Watson
Chlapik/Brown/Balcers

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I guess it depends on how you pencil players in to start out with..Do you have players penciled in ahead of Chlapik for example.. He is not a total dark horse.

LW
Tkachuk
Stutzle
Formenton
Paul

Chlapik/Balcers/ L Brown

I think both Formenton and even Paul could find themselves on the outside looking in depending on camp and their level of play.

On paper, I think both guys can offer more in different ways than Chlapik, but Chlapik seems to be a sort of safe player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->