Speculation: Extended Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think both Formenton and even Paul could find themselves on the outside looking in depending on camp and their level of play.

On paper, I think both guys can offer more in different ways than Chlapik, but Chlapik seems to be a sort of safe player.

OK. I think Paul is pretty much in. Formenton .. I'd like to see in.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Fair enough , but do you actually think he is going to beat out all but 1 of these players coming into training camp? Norris, Balcers, L. Brown, Formenton, Abramov? Especially considering how they are building this team? He is very small and play on the perimiter. I just dont see it.

Big reason he got those games was because they didnt want to disrupt the rhythm those players were playing in at the AHL level last year as they were all outplaying him substantially.

Of the guys you mentioned, i think they might want to keep formenton and Norris in the AHL to start the year. But I could see davidsson outplaying Abramov (skilled but I'm less convinced about his game for the NHL level) and Balcers at camp.

Pretty much every guy you list is better than davidsson, but I think davidsson might fit into a stop gap role player spot over some of these other guys. Not super likely, but I think he's in the conversation more than people give him credit for.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
In the Sun this morning

"The NHL sent out a survey to each team asking what the local regulations are for gathering restrictions and it will use that data in determining where the league will locate four hubs if it goes that route. You can rule out Ottawa as a hub because it would need the support of city hall, and that’s likely not forthcoming.

Instead, it would make the most sense for hubs to be located in either Montreal, Vancouver or Winnipeg."

The covid situation might just be better in Ottawa than any of the other cities in Canada. Is support for something here not forthcoming from city hall because this is a covid thing? Or because it is a Melnyk thing?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
In the Sun this morning

"The NHL sent out a survey to each team asking what the local regulations are for gathering restrictions and it will use that data in determining where the league will locate four hubs if it goes that route. You can rule out Ottawa as a hub because it would need the support of city hall, and that’s likely not forthcoming.

Instead, it would make the most sense for hubs to be located in either Montreal, Vancouver or Winnipeg."

The covid situation might just be better in Ottawa than any of the other cities in Canada. Is support for something here not forthcoming from city hall because this is a covid thing? Or because it is a Melnyk thing?

Jimbo's too busy helping out his buddies at Landsdowne to help out the NHL. Or Garrioch is just being an idiot. Manitoba is locking things down pretty damn tight right now but he thinks Winnipeg makes sense?

Reactions: JD1

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
That extra week sounds like a decent window for pre-season injuries opening up some temporary roster spots on the team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Why are there rules around when teams can run training camps?

What would stop us from bringing in a bunch of our non-playing prospects right now, throw them in a little bubble for a while and run a bunch of NHL practices with them? They could probably use the practice.

The agreement between the NHL and the NHLPA, for one thing.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Nah dude it's a union workers rights thing. It's literally so the owners can't control a players life. Players have families and unions promote time off without ownerships bothering you with your family. In any good union.

Exactly this. NHL owners used to act like overseers and treated players as though they owned them. Not any more. Players via the NHLPA are now partners and get 50% of certain specified revenues.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think Formenton is a perfect player in that he reminds me a bit of Dean McAmmond where you should be able to play him on literally any line.

Give me a guy who can skate with some jam and I'll find somewhere to stash him.

McAmmond is not a player who I would say is similar to Formenton. Formenton will be one of the fastest skater in the league and plays with an edge. McAmmond was not as fast and did not play with an edge.

Reactions: bert

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
McAmmond is not a player who I would say is similar to Formenton. Formenton will be one of the fastest skater in the league and plays with an edge. McAmmond was not as fast and did not play with an edge.

I was referring more to the fact that he has something to contribute on any line.

BTW, here is Dean McAmmond beating down Maxime Talbot in the 1st round of the 2007 playoffs.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

I would actually counter that by saying McAmmond was one of the fastest players in the league, in fact, for a smallish player he needed speed to get around the ice and be effective.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think both Formenton and even Paul could find themselves on the outside looking in depending on camp and their level of play.

On paper, I think both guys can offer more in different ways than Chlapik, but Chlapik seems to be a sort of safe player.
I see Paul Chlapik Watson as our answer to the Islanders Energy line. Love that line on paper.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I see Paul Chlapik Watson as our answer to the Islanders Energy line. Love that line on paper.
I would prefer Matt Martin Nick Paul Austin Watson.

Martin is still unsigned.. could probably get him on a cheap 1 year deal

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I was referring more to the fact that he has something to contribute on any line.

BTW, here is Dean McAmmond beating down Maxime Talbot in the 1st round of the 2007 playoffs.

Imagine squaring up like that only to get dummied by Dean McAmmond.

Reactions: robsenz

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Though I think formenton will be faster and tougher, mcammond was a very fast skater that often flew by people and was always first on the puck. His speed was easily his greatest asset.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I would prefer Matt Martin Nick Paul Austin Watson.

Martin is still unsigned.. could probably get him on a cheap 1 year deal
I prefer Chlapik he has the ability to move around the lineup a little bit, Martin was the worst forward on the Islanders IMO but it’s not a big difference.

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I prefer Chlapik he has the ability to move around the lineup a little bit, Martin was the worst forward on the Islanders IMO but it’s not a big difference.
No one likes Chlapik here, its strange. He is a better player than Martin at this point, he does more with way less icetime.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
No one likes Chlapik here, its strange. He is a better player than Martin at this point, he does more with way less icetime.

Matt Martin has played nearly 700 games, and Chlapik is a fringe NHL player.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Martin was almost out of the league before he came back to the Islanders. Chlapiks pts per 60 are way better and he is just getting started.

Doesn't change the fact that one has nearly 700 games under his belt and the other may never crack an NHL lineup.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Doesn't change the fact that one has nearly 700 games under his belt and the other may never crack an NHL lineup.
I guess if you arent capable of using context. One is almost completely done and the other is a young player earning his spot in the league. Chlapik literally cracked the lineup last year.

Reactions: derriko and GCK

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I guess if you arent capable of using context. One is almost completely done and the other is a young player earning his spot in the league. Chlapik literally cracked the lineup last year.

We will have to agree to disagree. Different players, but Matt Martin was a full-time NHLer at 21. Chlapik is going on 24 and hasn't established himself on a perennial bottom feeder. I just don't see Chlapik making it as a full-time NHL player.

I hope that you're right on this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad