OT: Explain Your Avatar

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
TT's was right beside the Middle East, saw a ton of great shows at both. The sandwich place on the corner was always my stop for a steak and cheese or steak tip sub.

God I miss being young

Did you live in Cambridge or Boston, and when?

If Boston, do you remember Charlie's Cafeteria right on the edge of Kenmore Square (going toward Mass Ave.) where that lux hotel is now?

In 1982, I was a theater arts major @ Emerson, and we used to go to Charlie's at, like, 1 am. The chili was pretty good, and I always took home some of their soup crackers.

I miss being young as well.

"Gettin' old aint' for sissies."

-- Bette Davis

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Did you live in Cambridge or Boston, and when?

If Boston, do you remember Charlie's Cafeteria right at on the edge of Kenmore Square, where that lux hotel is now?

In 1982, I was a theater arts major @ Emerson, and we used to go to Charlie's at, like, 1 am. The chili was pretty good, and I always took home some of their soup crackers.

I miss being young as well.

"Gettin' old aint' for sissies."

-- Bette Davis
Lived in Providence, but spent a lot of time in Boston, the Providence of the 80's and early 90's was much, much different from today's. We had the Living Room and Babyhead for metal and punk shows.

I loved Charlie's. Any Rat show Charlie's was a required stop before or after. Once your stomach adjusted to it it was cheap and good.

Kenmore square is another part of Boston I miss. Planet records and Nuggets just blocks apart, the BU book store, comicopia.

Bette Davis and Dicky Barret were right.

Reactions: GordonHowe

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
If you ever wanted more from the movie, you’ll definitely get it from the novel. You won’t be able to put it down.

One of the five best books I’ve ever read. Hands down.

I can’t believe you’ve never read it. I can’t recommend it enough.
Ok you sold me I'll definitely take some time to read it. Just when I was about to get out you pulled me back in!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Lived in Providence, but spent a lot of time in Boston, the Providence of the 80's and early 90's was much, much different from today's. We had the Living Room and Babyhead for metal and punk shows.

I loved Charlie's. Any Rat show Charlie's was a required stop before or after. Once your stomach adjusted to it it was cheap and good.

Kenmore square is another part of Boston I miss. Planet records and Nuggets just blocks apart, the BU book store, comicopia.

Bette Davis and Dicky Barret were right.

I used to live at Planet Records & Nuggets. And the BU bookstore.

And you're right. Charlie's was cheap but good.

Later, I lived in the Kenmore area, on Park Drive.

It was, say it with me, a very different place back then. Sketchy, a scosh.

Remember Mr. Bill? He died about ten, fifteen years ago.

Dicky Barret?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I used to live at Planet Records & Nuggets. And the BU bookstore.

And you're right. Charlie's was cheap but good.

Later, I lived in the Kenmore area, on Park Drive.

It was, say it with me, a very different place back then. Sketchy, a scosh.

Remember Mr. Bill? He died about ten, fifteen years ago.

Dicky Barret?
Dicky was the Mighty Mighty Bosstones lead singer. They have a song I Want My City Back and another one I can't think of the name bemoaning the demise of old Boston and the changes over the last 20 years.

Reactions: GordonHowe

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Many, many moons ago, I got a custom Neely jersey with "SEABASS" on the nameplate and have worn it to every game I've attended since. Initially, I got a lot of "Kick his ass, Seabass!" shouts from behind, but not too many people seem to get the reference these days. Had funny encounters with Bobby Farrelly at the Fours before a Rangers game 20 years ago and Denis Leary about five years ago over the jersey, made even cooler because of common friends we share from my entertainment biz days.

The 08s on either end are because of various incarnations of Seabass already having been taken on the Boards.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
When I first joined the site my avatar was the famous picture of Orr drinking from the Cup.

During the 2010 run, the board had playoff specific avatars that a lot of people used, but I said I wouldn't change mine unless/until we won the Cup again. The following year when we won I changed it to this: (my old avatar picture of Orr is right there behind Z!)
chara-drinking-from-the-cup.jpg

Then, after the parade, I changed it to a picture of Chara holding the Cup that I took.

(Don't have it on my phone to share here).

So, I had that one until we lost in the 2013 Finals, when I changed it to my current one.

Ned Bouhalassa

Mar 2, 2008
Montreal
A LOT of people say that I Iook like Pasta in this picture of me in my twenties. I was unhappy about the jersey number at the time, ‘cause we didn’t have big numbers like that when I played for the Saint-Laurent Bruins. Here I am scoring one of only three goals in my short career.

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
Big Z in an old classic Färjestad jersey during the lockout season, for me it can't get any better. He and Souray was such a fantastic D pair to watch.

Previously I've had my dog (a Berneeese Mountain Dog) and also one of the best players ever in my opinion even though he never had a chance to play in the NHL, Valerij Charlamov.

Reactions: caz16 and BMC

PetePeeters1

Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Good Old Germany
A friend of mine bought a copy of The Hockey News Yearbook 83-84 while being on holidays
in Canada.That was my first contact with the NHL 40 years ago in Germany.
On the Bruins page there was a large photo of Pete Peeters after his fantastic season with
the Question Can he do it all again?
I liked the black jersey.That`s how I became a Bruins fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad