OT: Explain Your Avatar

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Mine changes a few times a year. Right now it's pretty self explanatory. Bruins blew a golden opportunity to hoist another cup.

Usually I'll make my avatar something I design or a funny picture related to the Bruins. Last off-season it was a picture of Neely & Sweeney with clown facepaint.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Cheevers was my idol. Rooster Cogburn was a grumpy old marshall.

Seemed to fit.

The Cheevers bit never even occured to me. I thought you adopted this during COVID. IF I recall correctly, your "original" avatar was just Rooster. (One of the few JW movies I liked. Saw it in the theater. John Ford's The Searchers is a cinema classic, too.)

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Summer of 1992, I went to my cousin’s house and played his new video game system, Sega Genesis.

I was blown away by Sonic the Hedghog 2.

My father was blown away by a different title, NHLPA Hockey 93.

The next day, he purchased a Sega Genesis and NHLPA 93 as well as NFL Sports Talk Football 93 Starring Joe Montana.

On NHLPA 93, Boston’s first pairing defense tandem was Ray Bourque and Glen Wesley.

However, for the sequel, NHL 94, the Bruins’ top pairing was Bourque and Don Sweeney, pictured here.

The game had a 1-99 rating scale for players. Before each game, Ron Barr would preview the matchups.

Don Sweeney was rated 70 out of 99 overall.

He later became General Manager for the Boston Bruins, and we have our very own message board dedicated to them here.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
John Tavares getting “put to sleep” under his Leafs sheets with his Star Wars model over his head. It’s a f***ing disaster of an avatar, but I nearly pissed myself I was laughing so hard when I made it.

Probably will go back to my old one, which was Gary Cooper as Howard Roark from Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The Plough & Stars (in Cambridge) is long gone, right?
I don't know, sadly I believe so. After I moved to NH 8 years ago I haven't spent much time in Cambridge. There were several bars on Mass Ave I loved, Phoenix Landing made me a soccer fan.

Edit, according to the website the Plough and Stars is still there, which means it may be time to take a ride in

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I don't know, sadly I believe so. After I moved to NH 8 years ago I haven't spent much time in Cambridge. There were several bars on Mass Ave I loved, Phoenix Landing made me a soccer fan.

Edit, according to the website the Plough and Stars is still there, which means it may be time to take a ride in

It's funny because I live in Watertown, adjacent to Cambridge, and know Central Square well. (I used to, anyway. I used to do open mic @ the Middle East in the early 90s.)

I've been through Central Sq. to Harvard a few times since moving back to MA and into Watertown, but haven't seen P&S. I confess I only went there once, in the mid 80s. Wasn't TT The Bear's in Central Sq., too? That's how hazy my memory is.

The Rat, Spit, Narcissus, The Channel -- those I remember well, and, for the most part, fondly.

Sorry my avatar can't be beat. LOL

It's a favorite in this corner.

Richly deserved, served cold.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Summer of 1992, I went to my cousin’s house and played his new video game system, Sega Genesis.

I was blown away by Sonic the Hedghog 2.

My father was blown away by a different title, NHLPA Hockey 93.

The next day, he purchased a Sega Genesis and NHLPA 93 as well as NFL Sports Talk Football 93 Starring Joe Montana.

On NHLPA 93, Boston’s first pairing defense tandem was Ray Bourque and Glen Wesley.

However, for the sequel, NHL 94, the Bruins’ top pairing was Bourque and Don Sweeney, pictured here.

The game had a 1-99 rating scale for players. Before each game, Ron Barr would preview the matchups.

Don Sweeney was rated 70 out of 99 overall.

He later became General Manager for the Boston Bruins, and we have our very own message board dedicated to them here.
Thanks for the story. I always wondered why you chose "Sweens" (a truncation that still produces a cringe whenever someone uses it).

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
My current avatar is pretty self-explanatory.

I used the avatar pictured below since I joined in December 2012 until the Centennial Logo debuted because I like this bear better than Meth or Pooh Bear. And I actually like this logo better than the Spoked B. In fact, I think this logo is one of the best in NHL history.

I chose the “Boston” version because I just liked that one better. After the Centennial is over, I’ll change it back.

Meth and Pooh Bears have nicknames. How come this guy doesn’t?

1686952396903.jpeg

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
My current avatar is pretty self-explanatory.

I used the avatar pictured below since I joined in December 2012 until the Centennial Logo debuted because I like this bear better than Meth or Pooh Bear. And I actually like this logo better than the Spoked B. In fact, I think this logo is one of the best in NHL history.

I chose the “Boston” version because I just liked that one better. After the Centennial is over, I’ll change it back.

Meth and Pooh Bears have nicknames. How come this guy doesn’t?

View attachment 718625
Well, what do you propose we call him?

Reactions: rfournier103

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Hopefully this is okay to post - I regularly wind up curious about the nature of folks' avatars.

Would you, won't you, please consider explaining yours?

Mine is fairly straight forward - I live with a 200lb four legged Bruins fan who just happens to be the best pup on planet earth.

Go!
The Hendrix burning the guitar is the reaction of modern day game 7’s of the B’s in the playoffs (bar a very few)….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad