Expectations for the rest of this season under Jacques Martin

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Who would we have to trade to get there? I used to think it was all available on this roster. Even Stützle seemed to have grit. I am not sure where it has gone this season.
Hard to say.. I'd like to see them move Kubalik and Tarasenko and replace them with more two way gritty players .. in the mold of Connor Brown.
to start off with.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Hard to say.. I'd like to see them move Kubalik and Tarasenko and replace them with more two way gritty players .. in the mold of Connor Brown.
to start off with.
More speed and tenacity is needed. I liked the way Crookshank played tonight.

I’m not sure how much Alfie and Martin are going to like the slower guys like Kastelic.

Reactions: Cosmix

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
to start off with.

Not really going out on a limb but I’ll say zero chance Tarasenko is back next year.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
to start off with.
Tarasenko Has a NTC, so will only be “moved” if he agrees to be moved…. Both are UFAs and could attract attention at the TD, but doubt playoff bound teams would be willing to surrender anything close to the Two way gritty players you desire, these are the types of players needed in the playoffs……. Picks or prospects is the most the Sens could expect if either or both are moved.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I expect a 50+ game defensive boot camp. Give these players some defensive foundation for the rest of this season so that the full-time coach doesn't need to start from scratch.

Any kind of winning record or unlikely charge for the playoffs would be beyond gravy.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I expect a 50+ game defensive boot camp. Give these players some defensive foundation for the rest of this season so that the full-time coach doesn't need to start from scratch.

Any kind of winning record or unlikely charge for the playoffs would be beyond gravy.
This but I also want the team finishing better than 86 pts. On paper the team is better than last year so need to see some progress

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, expectations are an interesting topic when it comes to this team.

Going into the year, my expectations were that we build off the positives from last season, and ideally improve our place in the standings, so from 86 pts to ~94 at the end of the year. In order to get there I thought we'd need to reduce the number of chances we give up.

Last year, we had an xGA/60 of 3.14 all situations, good for 18th in the league.
This year, we're at 2.91 xGA/60, good for 9th. Part of the reason for this improvement is we drastically cut back on how many penalties we take compared to last year, but the problem is our GA/60 all situations still went up from 3.26 (20th) to 3.42 (27th)

DJ mentioned something about us being 7th best in slot chances against, another stat I never would have expected but our issues seems to be spurts of catastrophic breakdowns rather than prolonged poor play.

So looking at how we got where we are, what should we expect moving forward, well I think Martin is going to have to get the team focusing on the details to bring consistency, because there are things we do well, if not consistently.

Finish our checks, all the time. This will keep guys engaged, you don't need to be crushing guys every shift, but no free rides.
manage our line changes better, this has plagued us this year, and it's completely mental.
manage the puck better, get it deep especially late on shifts, no turnovers at the blue line ect
Don't try and do other guys jobs, as soon as you start trying to to do someone elses job, you aren't doing your own.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Poulie with a good interview this am

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
So, expectations are an interesting topic when it comes to this team.

Going into the year, my expectations were that we build off the positives from last season, and ideally improve our place in the standings, so from 86 pts to ~94 at the end of the year. In order to get there I thought we'd need to reduce the number of chances we give up.

Last year, we had an xGA/60 of 3.14 all situations, good for 18th in the league.
This year, we're at 2.91 xGA/60, good for 9th. Part of the reason for this improvement is we drastically cut back on how many penalties we take compared to last year, but the problem is our GA/60 all situations still went up from 3.26 (20th) to 3.42 (27th)

DJ mentioned something about us being 7th best in slot chances against, another stat I never would have expected but our issues seems to be spurts of catastrophic breakdowns rather than prolonged poor play.

So looking at how we got where we are, what should we expect moving forward, well I think Martin is going to have to get the team focusing on the details to bring consistency, because there are things we do well, if not consistently.

Finish our checks, all the time. This will keep guys engaged, you don't need to be crushing guys every shift, but no free rides.
manage our line changes better, this has plagued us this year, and it's completely mental.
manage the puck better, get it deep especially late on shifts, no turnovers at the blue line ect
Don't try and do other guys jobs, as soon as you start trying to to do someone elses job, you aren't doing your own.
This team is baffling. Many advanced stats look pretty good for such a catastrophically low performing team. Don't think it's even possible to explain so I can't even think of expectations for the rest of the season. I guess I would hope that the on-ice results catch up with the expected results?

Reactions: JD1

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Bad goaltending is the biggest issue right now.
This team is baffling. Many advanced stats look pretty good for such a catastrophically low performing team. Don't think it's even possible to explain so I can't even think of expectations for the rest of the season. I guess I would hope that the on-ice results catch up with the expected results?

Reactions: JD1

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
The season is shot at this point, so total wins/losses ain't it. Improved structure (offense and defense) and better goaltending resulting from said structure is my pick. Putting in solid 60 minute games and getting wins against decent teams.

That's it.

Reactions: LiseL

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
The season is shot at this point, so total wins/losses ain't it. Improved structure (offense and defense) and better goaltending resulting from said structure is my pick. Putting in solid 60 minute games and getting wins against decent teams.

That's it.
The full 60 minute thing. Could this be a deployement thing? DJ rides guys until they're dead and then when the other guys get on they are cold from not playing? Would this deployement have something to do with how many injuries this team gets, not one season, but year after year? Are these guys not in shape? I know it's odd to say, pro atheletes and all. I need answers Lance!

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
I listened to some Jacques press and he just sounds smart. I think it's good. They really should have started the season with a new voice.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
People will now turn against many players cause Martin has the "total immunity card" until the end of the season because everything is Pierre Dorion and DJ Smith's fault.

HFBoard - Ottawa will be such a special place where joy and happiness are being shared with everyone!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad