Expectations for the rest of this season under Jacques Martin

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
He was rigid to a fault. Was never that fiery but he definitely instilled a sense of team cohesion and defensive discipline.

The problem was when he ran into firebrands like Pat Quinn and the games turned into nasty physical battles with big emotional swings. Wasn't able to adjust for that.

Some of it was that, some of it was Curtis Joseph and Ed Belfour.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think people are going to need to temper their expectations for the immediate impact. There is going to be so much learning to do, this is going to be a massive wake up call for alot of players. I think they likely get a new coach bump for a couple games then there could be some regression as he starts to implement new systems, structure and accountability.

They are 5th last in pts percentage I expect them to end up around 10th.

Reactions: Boud and Loach

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
I just want him to instill a defensive system that reduces bad goals, jump on bad effort leading to goals, and ideally bring up Kleven and Heatherington and work them in, so that if we ever do make the playoffs, we won't have the softest defense in the league getting squashed like bugs while losing 4 straight. Kleven and Heatherington (215 pounds, and pretty much a 0 +/- in his few NHL games) may not be the answer to our size/softness problem, but they are what we have until other moves can be made, so give it a shot.

Reactions: LiseL

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
This road trip has been a disaster and has likely put the nail in the coffin in regards to us seeing playoff hockey. All we can do now is use this time to evaluate our core and plan what to do in the offseason to make us better next season.

Reactions: LiseL and Loach

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Implement a system that incorporates more than running around with their heads cut off. Playoffs are past the horizon, s just try and reset the scatterbrain throughout the roster.

Basically, be himself.

Our guys need to be reprimanded and held accountable for the way they play. That goes for Brady to Chartier. Doesn’t matter if you’re making 9 million or 800k.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Implement a system that incorporates more than running around with their heads cut off. Playoffs are past the horizon, s just try and reset the scatterbrain throughout the roster.

Basically, be himself.

Our guys need to be reprimanded and held accountable for the way they play. That goes for Brady to Chartier. Doesn’t matter if you’re making 9 million or 800k.
100% this is the only way... Not about wins and losses , its about getting better as a team and at team play.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Martin was great in developing and pulling the team together but just missed the ability to adapt and adjust to get the team over the hump. That was also a number of years ago and he has picked up a lot of experience since then, including with cup winners.

That said, I am fully behind this move. I think there is going to be a bit of shock to the system among a lot of players. Also a number of players will need to activate more brain cells as they will be expected to think out there a lot more.

Love Alfie, not sure about as a full assistant coach without coaching experience behind it.

I expect that this is interim until a new GM picks his coaching staff.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Martin was great in developing and pulling the team together but just missed the ability to adapt and adjust to get the team over the hump. That was also a number of years ago and he has picked up a lot of experience since then, including with cup winners.

That said, I am fully behind this move. I think there is going to be a bit of shock to the system among a lot of players. Also a number of players will need to activate more brain cells as they will be expected to think out there a lot more.

Love Alfie, not sure about as a full assistant coach without coaching experience behind it.

I expect that this is interim until a new GM picks his coaching staff.
Alfie will be fine.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Alfie was already coaching coaches when he was playing in the NHL so the transition shouldn't be too difficult for him. Already has every player's respect too.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I think Martin was a great coach for the 95-05 era, but his ideas are largely not flying in todays NHL, hence no gig in over 10 years.

That said, he is strong on the planning and defensive system side which even if not as predominant in todays hockey, is still a fundamental part of building a winner that the players have to learn, something they never had to deal with under Smith. It will serve as a good foundation on which to build what is expected of the players, and hopefully will give the team a better evaluation of the players heading into next year.

I also expect the team to do better in the standings. People always asked how Martin could take such a high end regular season into the playoffs and flop. I was more of the thinking how he did a great job of taking a team that was weaker in the playoffs and making them a great regular season team. He was always very good out of getting the maximum out of his players from game 1.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I think Martin was a great coach for the 95-05 era, but his ideas are largely not flying in todays NHL, hence no gig in over 10 years.

That said, he is strong on the planning and defensive system side which even if not as predominant in todays hockey, is still a fundamental part of building a winner that the players have to learn, something they never had to deal with under Smith. It will serve as a good foundation on which to build what is expected of the players, and hopefully will give the team a better evaluation of the players heading into next year.

I also expect the team to do better in the standings. People always asked how Martin could take such a high end regular season into the playoffs and flop. I was more of the thinking how he did a great job of taking a team that was weaker in the playoffs and making them a great regular season team. He was always very good out of getting the maximum out of his players from game 1.

He did win two cups as an assistant coach in 2016 and 2017. He must have at least some ideas that fly in today's NHL.

Reactions: LiseL and SanderSen

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Shouldn’t be hard to fix. It’s a new voice and hopefully will sit players down for a few shifts to correct errors.

First thing I want to see is have the guys regroup in their own zone during the 2nd period to allow a proper change. If Martin can focus on proper line changes in the the 2nd the biggest issue is fixed.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Better structured team play. That's all I want to see. Consistency.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Nothing specific in terms of goals but I hope he can help them deal with adversity better. This team is capable of playing some good hockey but when the going has gotten tough they spiral. The lows have been too low.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
If I no longer see Brady cheating offensivly, or the team doing the fly by pokechecks, then its already a successful hire.

I would also love it if he undoes all the terribleness that got into Chabot's game, and for Zub, Sanderson and Chych to stop regressing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad