Expectations for the rest of this season under Jacques Martin

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think Martin was a great coach for the 95-05 era, but his ideas are largely not flying in todays NHL, hence no gig in over 10 years.

That said, he is strong on the planning and defensive system side which even if not as predominant in todays hockey, is still a fundamental part of building a winner that the players have to learn, something they never had to deal with under Smith. It will serve as a good foundation on which to build what is expected of the players, and hopefully will give the team a better evaluation of the players heading into next year.

I also expect the team to do better in the standings. People always asked how Martin could take such a high end regular season into the playoffs and flop. I was more of the thinking how he did a great job of taking a team that was weaker in the playoffs and making them a great regular season team. He was always very good out of getting the maximum out of his players from game 1.
Won back to back Cups as the D coach in 2016 2017 not sure you are accurate on this one. They just need him to develop some structure and accountability. This team needs a different voice in the worst way.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Let's see what these guys can do in a more structured system. All the talk about not making a quick move with DJ to evaluate him didn't make much sense to me, would rather make the move to be able to properly evaluate the players in a different system. Let's see if these guys are as talented and skilled as we think. Sink or swim.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He did win two cups as an assistant coach in 2016 and 2017. He must have at least some ideas that fly in today's NHL.
Then why no head coaching chances ....... He knows defensive systems, granted, but the rest of the book of work suggests otherweise. His teams post Ottawa especially were on the lower end of scoring in the league.

Todays NHL is more attack oriented, more risk taking rather than safe clutch and grab when Martin was successful.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Then why no head coaching chances ....... He knows defensive systems, granted, but the rest of the book of work suggests otherweise. His teams post Ottawa especially were on the lower end of scoring in the league.

Todays NHL is more attack oriented, more risk taking rather than safe clutch and grab when Martin was successful.

I don't know, but you're jumping to the conclusion that it's because his thinking on the game is stuck in the clutch and grab era. I don't see any reason to believe that that's the case.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Likely no playoffs but Martin is a detail orientated coach. The offensive fire power of this team is insane the thing that puts them in the hole is there is no defensive structure, its just man on man play and a couple of plays in the neutral zone. Martin will change that.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
They waited several weeks too long, which may ending up costing us the playoffs even if we get the new coach bump.

Expectation for Martin's interim tenure should be promoting accountability and discipline.

He needs to get rid of the lazy one-way play from our forwards and provide some structure when they are forced to defend.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
The expectation I have is that Martin and Alfredsson will be very explicit in their expectations of these players and the roles they play on the team. The rest of the season will entirely be about who is willing to play into their role on this team and consistently compete with strong emphasis on doing the little things right. The goal will be to find which guys have that in them, and which guys need to be shipped out in the offseason.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I expect playoffs and a loss to Toronto in Round 1.
Joke due to Jacques? If the sens find a way to get there they wont be playing the leafs they are a wild card team if they make it. They actually suck its great to see. Soft and slow as ever, top heavy with guys who dont care. Yeah its shitty to be a sens fan its also shitty to be a leafs fan.

Reactions: LiseL

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Joke due to Jacques? If the sens find a way to get there they wont be playing the leafs they are a wild card team if they make it. They actually suck its great to see. Soft and slow as ever, top heavy with guys who dont care. Yeah its shitty to be a sens fan its also shitty to be a leafs fan.

Leafs are 10-1-4 in their last 15. 5 back of the Bruins and NYR with a game in hand for the ECF lead.

I wouldn't predict their death just yet. Knies is gaining steam, Woll looks like a goalie (although he's hurt right now), and with their LTIR shenanigans, they'll surely add a couple of D in the next two months.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yup, just reminiscing about the old days.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Like to see them play better defensively. Better positioning & players knowing where they should be on the ice, better coverage, fewer brain farts, attention to detail, etc. Get players to develop good habits that they apply on a consistent basis.

Edit/update - Hopefully they will get the special teams back on track especially the PK which has been dismal.

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
A playoff pace without actually making it in is my expectation. The hole they dug is too deep to get out of unless they are a top-5 team which is way too much to ask/expect.

Reactions: GCK

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think Martin was a great coach for the 95-05 era, but his ideas are largely not flying in todays NHL, hence no gig in over 10 years.

That said, he is strong on the planning and defensive system side which even if not as predominant in todays hockey, is still a fundamental part of building a winner that the players have to learn, something they never had to deal with under Smith. It will serve as a good foundation on which to build what is expected of the players, and hopefully will give the team a better evaluation of the players heading into next year.

I also expect the team to do better in the standings. People always asked how Martin could take such a high end regular season into the playoffs and flop. I was more of the thinking how he did a great job of taking a team that was weaker in the playoffs and making them a great regular season team. He was always very good out of getting the maximum out of his players from game 1.
This team needs to learn what defence is. He’s good for that. I don’t expect them to win a cup

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I don't have expectations from a results perspective, but I want to see obvious improvement in the defensive play. Just general improvement in structure and discipline period.

Reactions: Neil Patrick Harris

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
We could have had some 10-15 games ago. Now? Season's a throw away and we don't know if Martin will be the longterm coach when the new GM is hired. The time for this was at least 10 games ago so we could even conceive of having a set of expectations for the rest of the season. This team's leadership shot themselves in the foot, there's just no other way to see this whole thing.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
I think you agree that if it was shitty to be a Sens fan this morning it is less so tonight! :)

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
What was Martin like back in the day? Players coach or more of a hardass type?
Composed , calm, professional.

Often criticized for not being animated or showing fire, passion. Then it was said the players took on the coach's demeanor , and we were pushed around. Which is why, when Bryan Murray was hired, he stated emphatically, and I will never forget this : " We will never be pushed around. Ever." That is what left a taste in Ottawa following Martin getting fired. Passionless, boring, Devils style hockey.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Some good thoughts on expectations

Turned it off at the Ross on friends pivot joke. Ffs. Sorry I know I’m a grumpy old man but fing friends. And that stupid pivot line they love to laugh at. Morons, off.

Carry on :)

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Martin was great in developing and pulling the team together but just missed the ability to adapt and adjust to get the team over the hump. That was also a number of years ago and he has picked up a lot of experience since then, including with cup winners.

That said, I am fully behind this move. I think there is going to be a bit of shock to the system among a lot of players. Also a number of players will need to activate more brain cells as they will be expected to think out there a lot more.

Love Alfie, not sure about as a full assistant coach without coaching experience behind it.

I expect that this is interim until a new GM picks his coaching staff.
I would think that the veterans on the team (Giroux, Tank, Chychrin) who have had other coaches will embrace the new philosophy. Especially Tank and Chychrin who played for good coaches (Berube, Tocchet). I expect to see great improvement in Chychrin's game once defensive structure is implemented. We should see improvement in turnovers, break-aways, fly-bys, line changes, cheating for offense, to name a few.

Reactions: SanderSen

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Composed , calm, professional.

Often criticized for not being animated or showing fire, passion. Then it was said the players took on the coach's demeanor , and we were pushed around. Which is why, when Bryan Murray was hired, he stated emphatically, and I will never forget this : " We will never be pushed around. Ever." That is what left a taste in Ottawa following Martin getting fired. Passionless, boring, Devils style hockey.
Are you against hiring Martin?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad