Expectations for Gaudreau

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Imagine if we go first overall next year and pick McDavid.

A Gaudreau-McDavid-Bennett line would be bonkers.

Baertschi-Monahan-Poirier on the second. Yikes!

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Imagine if we go first overall next year and pick McDavid.

A Gaudreau-McDavid-Bennett line would be bonkers.

Baertschi-Monahan-Poirier on the second. Yikes!

The unfortunate thing is we likely won't be able to pay each of them what they're worth for very long.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
The unfortunate thing is we likely won't be able to pay each of them what they're worth for very long.

Players take discounts for teams and cities that are good to their players and can win. If we can start winning after we get them, then we will have both of those things and will likely be able to get a hometown discount like with Iginla.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Players take discounts for teams and cities that are good to their players and can win. If we can start winning after we get them, then we will have both of those things and will likely be able to get a hometown discount like with Iginla.

Tell Kane and Toews that.

They have two cups so probably just want the cash flow now.

Last edited:

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
What...what if Johnny is the pre-reincarnation of Joe Mullen? Went to BC and then led the Flames in points on their way to their first Cup. Known as Slippery Rock Joe because of how he evaded hits. Sounds like our Johnny. He was also 5'9" like a certain player. I sure hope he is.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
What...what if Johnny is the pre-reincarnation of Joe Mullen? Went to BC and then led the Flames in points on their way to their first Cup. Known as Slippery Rock Joe because of how he evaded hits. Sounds like our Johnny. He was also 5'9" like a certain player. I sure hope he is.

Thats actually a really good comparison lol. :laugh:

Surprised no one has ever mentioned it before.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Mullen was 5'10 and quite a bit thicker. I am also not sure many posters here ever saw Mullen play to make the comparison.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I was just reading up a little on Joe Mullen's career, and I'd forgotten just how high-scoring the league was once upon a time; in his best year, Mullen managed 51 goals and 110 pts, which would easily make him tops in today's league save for Sid the Kid.. but in those days, you have guys like Mario shredding it with 85 goals and 199 points.. like wow. L.A.'s top three scorers that year had more goals than the entire Sabres team scored this past year. On a side note, can anyone explain to me how Mario can be the only other player besides Wayne to even sniff at a 200-pt season, outscore Wayne himself that year by 30 pts but still lose to him in the MVP voting? Anyways, Joe Mullen's first two NHL goals set a Blues franchise record for the quickest two scored at 8 seconds apart.. he went on to achieve three 30-goal seasons, five 40-goal seasons, and that 50 goal season, 500+ career goals, 3 cups including one with Calgary (and one other finals appearance with them).. you would not hear me complain in the slightest if Johnny musters even half the career that Joey had.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Mullen was 5'10 and quite a bit thicker. I am also not sure many posters here ever saw Mullen play to make the comparison.

Which is the same with almost any ex-Flame from before 2004.

Mullen is one of our most underrated Flames - and was one of my favorites as well. It was no coincidence when he came over the team all of a sudden started winning during a terrible season, and made it to the Finals (and Vernon coming into his own). He was a quiet leader, but with guys like Lanny & Pepper never had to be the leader. Mullen was a big game guy - and really came into his own on Gilmours wing who was another big game guy.

Oh - and Mullen and Gaudreau are nothing alike. And Mullen was not aggressive at all- he was a LadyBing candidate each year he was here - but he could take a beating along the boards or in front of the net and get right back up.

Last edited:

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I was just reading up a little on Joe Mullen's career, and I'd forgotten just how high-scoring the league was once upon a time; in his best year, Mullen managed 51 goals and 110 pts, which would easily make him tops in today's league save for Sid the Kid.. but in those days, you have guys like Mario shredding it with 85 goals and 199 points.. like wow. L.A.'s top three scorers that year had more goals than the entire Sabres team scored this past year. On a side note, can anyone explain to me how Mario can be the only other player besides Wayne to even sniff at a 200-pt season, outscore Wayne himself that year by 30 pts but still lose to him in the MVP voting? Anyways, Joe Mullen's first two NHL goals set a Blues franchise record for the quickest two scored at 8 seconds apart.. he went on to achieve three 30-goal seasons, five 40-goal seasons, and that 50 goal season, 500+ career goals, 3 cups including one with Calgary (and one other finals appearance with them).. you would not hear me complain in the slightest if Johnny musters even half the career that Joey had.

IMO Gretzky and Lemieux were basically equivalent players.

/unpopular opinions

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Mullen is one of our most underrated Flames - and was one of my favorites as well. It was no coincidence when he came over the team all of a sudden started winning during a terrible season, and made it to the Finals (and Vernon coming into his own). He was a quiet leader, but with guys like Lanny & Pepper never had to be the leader. Mullen was a big game guy - and really came into his own on Gilmours wing who was another big game guy.

Oh - and Mullen and Gaudreau are nothing alike. And Mullen was not aggressive at all- he was a LadyBing candidate each year he was here - but he could take a beating along the boards or in front of the net and get right back up.

There's also the fact that message boards don't attract a ton of people who are 35+, presmuably.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Is Gaudreau aggressive?

Joey Mullen was a tough SOB for a small guy.

Joey was a scorer, Gaudreau is more skill, at least from what I have heard.

ThatHighGuy

Jul 11, 2014
Canaduh
I would really love it if granlund or reinhart snag those 2 roster spots. But then again I think Granlund would be good in the minors for a bit longer.. :huh:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

And I stopped reading.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
And I stopped reading.

Considering the statement right afterwards, that's really too bad. We had a lot of aggressive guys on the team at that time, but Mullen was not one of them - I can't remember a single fight he was in. He would be in the occasional scrum with Gilmour but he was no Fleury.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You don't have to be in a fight to be aggressive...

Right. This reminds me of the logic used by one poster a while ago to say that McGrattan wasn't a good tough guy because he was 13th in the league in fights. That said, I am not old enough to remember Mullen, but I'm following this conversation with interest.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Right. This reminds me of the logic used by one poster a while ago to say that McGrattan wasn't a good tough guy because he was 13th in the league in fights. That said, I am not old enough to remember Mullen, but I'm following this conversation with interest.

Same here. I wasn't even born when the cup was raised.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
If you are truly aggressive, fighting is often a by product of playing that style.
Put it this way though: 25 years from now some one says back in the day Iginla & Conroy were aggressive. One part of that statement you would absolutely agree with, the other you'd laugh.
Mullen was tough in the sense he could take punishment, but he was hardly the aggressor. In fact I'd say he was one of the least aggressive guys on those teams which were known to be tough teams.
Tim & Mark Hunter, Reisbrough, Peplinski, Toneli, Otto (only if the guy was smaller than him), Gilmour,Roberts, Fleury...and that's just the forwards. We also had a very tough D as well.

Just ask your parents if Mullen was aggressive.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If you are truly aggressive, fighting is often a by product of playing that style.
Put it this way though: 25 years from now some one says back in the day Iginla & Conroy were aggressive. One part of that statement you would absolutely agree with, the other you'd laugh.

Well, of course. You've picked one player who was aggressive, and one who was not aggressive.

Instead, why not just use the example of Paul Byron? He's an aggressive player who plays the game on the edge, but I've yet to see him in a fight (getting pummelled by 4 Canucks at once does not count).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad