Expectations for Gaudreau

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
How about Conroy on the radio saying he is likely to start in the minors. His biggest booster in the organization thinks he needs seasoning in the minors but according to HF he deeked a guy on the big ice in the worlds so he is a guaranteed 60 pt NHLer next year:shakehead I don't think anyone can question his skill but at 5'8 160 there is a real good chance gets squashed in the NHL. I think the Flames send him to the minors to get some groceries in his carcass even if there is no other reason.

Conroy never said anything of the sort..

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
You really have nothing to substantiate your claim other than your own words. If your going to make such statements in the future, feel free to post a link to back it up.

I don't see it up on the fan960 site and I'm not about to listen through hours of shows. You can believe what you want but his interview mid last week he sounded like they thought Johnny could use some time in the minors unless he blows them away in camp. From the sounds of it they will take it pretty cautiously which isn't a bad thing. It will be interesting to see how it goes but don't be disappointed if he needs time.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't see it up on the fan960 site and I'm not about to listen through hours of shows. You can believe what you want but his interview mid last week he sounded like they thought Johnny could use some time in the minors unless he blows them away in camp. From the sounds of it they will take it pretty cautiously which isn't a bad thing. It will be interesting to see how it goes but don't be disappointed if he needs time.

I think that's the general policy for rookies with this organization.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
that's not what you claimed before.
you stated as a fact that Conroy said that Gaudreau was likely to start in Adirondack.

The reality is that when you untroll what was actually said it was "the road to the NHL goes through Adirondack", it's practically a catch phrase for the team, they have been using it since the presser in Adirondack and say it everytime they discuss a prospect.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I'm curious, but do they often play the Fan960 on Edmonton's radio? I listened to the interview last week, in fact I listened to it again tonight after I read your post. Here's the link, it's about the 8th one down and titled "Conroy on Development Camp".

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/on-demand/

All Conroy really states at the end of the interview is that the Flames have about 2 spots open for the young guys and thinks that doing that will make them hungry come training camp. I don't recall him mentioning Gaudreau's name either but he does state all spots will have to be earned, nothing surprising there.

The fact is, Conroy hasn't publicly stated what your originally claimed, Johnny will have an opportunity like everyone else to earn a spot on the team and I believe he will.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I'm curious, but do they often play the Fan960 on Edmonton's radio? I listened to the interview last week, in fact I listened to it again tonight after I read your post. Here's the link, it's about the 8th one down and titled "Conroy on Development Camp".

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/on-demand/

All Conroy really states at the end of the interview is that the Flames have about 2 spots open for the young guys and thinks that doing that will make them hungry come training camp. I don't recall him mentioning Gaudreau's name either but he does state all spots will have to be earned, nothing surprising there.

The fact is, Conroy hasn't publicly stated what your originally claimed, Johnny will have an opportunity like everyone else to earn a spot on the team and I believe he will.

I live here in Calgary so unfortunately get more flames news then I care for. Did you catch at the end of this interview when he said," See you at C O P".... that means they were going to speak again during camp...:naughty:....

You might want to call the fan and ask them about the conroy interview they conducted in the last day or two of the camp. That interview was when stampede was in full swing because Conroy said they were walking around the grounds taking things in as Treliving was curious what it was all about. The impression I got was that they have a plan for Johnny which involves time in the minors. JG could change their minds but it seemed Conroy was definitely tempering expectations for Johnny.

Anyways, I'm done talking about this. I really don't care one way or the other. I originally thought it was dumb to put much stock in a performance at the worlds. I'd put that a couple notches below dominating pre season on my give a **** meter.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I live here in Calgary so unfortunately get more flames news then I care for. Did you catch at the end of this interview when he said," See you at C O P".... that means they were going to speak again during camp...:naughty:....

You might want to call the fan and ask them about the conroy interview they conducted in the last day or two of the camp. That interview was when stampede was in full swing because Conroy said they were walking around the grounds taking things in as Treliving was curious what it was all about. The impression I got was that they have a plan for Johnny which involves time in the minors. JG could change their minds but it seemed Conroy was definitely tempering expectations for Johnny.

Well, as long as the quote can't be substantiated, it doesn't really contribute much to the discussion.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Slow day today, so looking for videos of Johnny dominating.

johnny-gaudreau.gif

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
That's all I will do for now... After watching these a second time around, I can't temper my expectations. This kid is somethin' special.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Such vision. Can't get enough of this gif.

He can do that for Sean or Joe all day. They both have a nose for the net.

I'm torn with my favorite being either the one where he falls and manages to get the pass off, the back of the net pass, or his toe drag. Pretty much every single video is something different.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
Everyone should be hyped about Johnny. But a player with his slender size and amazing skill has a game relying on a lot of confidence. Johnny has the skill set of an elite NHL scorer. No doubt about that. Will he ever be a great defensive, 200ft player? Maybe, likely not.

I don't feel the right place for Johnny is on a really poor NHL team next season. By seasons end, we could be looking at a player with a lot less confidence than he has now. The right place to maintain his confidence is playing a pro game in the AHL where he can learn 'his version' of a professional 200ft game while dominating the league, and without being scrutinized in the NHL spotlight. I just feel he is the type of player who needs to be as NHL ready as possible to avoid a major set back to what can be expected of him in the long run. Maybe I'm just too cautious though.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
You don't think he plays a 200 ft game? He's one of the best backcheckers out there... Although his offense gets the spotlight, his defensive awareness is pretty good too.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
His effort and back checking are definitely not a concern. I just feel our team will spend a lot of 5on5 time in our own zone, and I'd like to see him have professional experience in that 3rd of the ice before becoming an NHL mainstay. I just want to avoid the situation of sending Johnny down to the AHL because we HAVE to, aka he's not ready. Not that I don't think he can handle the adversity of being sent down, it's just a situation I'd personally try to avoid.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Johnny will make it to the NHL because he earned his spot. Sven was a different story, he got sent down because he was handed a roster spot by Feaster.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really believe that the NHL will accelerate his development. Johnny is so intelligent, if he's playing with the biggest, fastest and smartest players in the world, he's going to adapt to the pro game fastest that way. Playing in the AHL will not hurt him, but I don't playing in the NHL will either, if anything it will bring more out of him. That's my opinion anyways.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I really believe that the NHL will accelerate his development. Johnny is so intelligent, if he's playing with the biggest, fastest and smartest players in the world, he's going to adapt to the pro game fastest that way. Playing in the AHL will not hurt him, but I don't playing in the NHL will either, if anything it will bring more out of him. That's my opinion anyways.

As long as he's not getting sheltered minutes. I don't see him benefitting more from being on the 3rd or 4th line trying to bounce pucks in off of Bouma as opposed to playing with Granlund and Poirier in the A.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
As long as he's not getting sheltered minutes. I don't see him benefitting more from being on the 3rd or 4th line trying to bounce pucks in off of Bouma as opposed to playing with Granlund and Poirier in the A.

I agree with you, it would be useless to play him there. If he's going to play, he needs to be playing according to his position. If that's in the AHL, then so be it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad