Speculation: Expansion Draft

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I wonder when we will know what Klefbom's future will be. I doubt the league will consider him ineligible for the draft. He is a young guy who is very committed to physical health.

That said. I don't think it matters who we protect. Trade Neal and a second to Seattle and let them have their choice of Jones or Lagesson. Ezpz

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
We have space to protect an extra forward or two if we go 7-3-1....

McDavid
Drai
RNH
Yamp
JP
JJ (only if he continues his strong play)
xxxx

...... so the market might be in our favor if we a trade an exempt player or two like Benson, Kesselring, Maximov for a guy on a deep team who does need protection. I like Kesselring a lot, but if he doesn't sign this spring, I'd use the expansion draft as an opportunity to continue filling holes in the bottom 6 forwards since we have an extra protected slot(s).

I like your reasoning and would prefer they go 7-3-1 and find that extra forward or two that are worth protecting to maximize the value. One thing to point out, I'm pretty sure Benson isn't exempt though

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I like your reasoning and would prefer they go 7-3-1 and find that extra forward or two that are worth protecting to maximize the value. One thing to point out, I'm pretty sure Benson isn't exempt though
McLeod is, but he's not.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Both Klefbom and Jones are this years whipping boys--oiler fans need them and always will--over my last 20 years in this board, every year, the board gets a gang mentality against one or two players and want to run them out of town.

What are you talking about with Klefbom?

It has nothing to do with people not liking him, most fans realize how much a healthy Klefbom is missed. Most fans are also being realistic in that with his condition he is likely never to play again. This isn’t just a “run of the mill” shoulder issue. Surgery won’t just make it better.

I’m one of the biggest Klefbom fans here and I think protecting him is a waste of a slot.

Let’s say Seattle claims him. What are the odds he will ever play again, let alone at a level higher than a bottom pair soft minutes player?

Reactions: Oil53 and oilers'72

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
It does not even matter if the Klefbom is ineligible for the expansion draft since Seattle will not select him. Klefbom will have two years left at 4.167 M.

If I were the GM of Seattle, I would not take Klefbom since there is no guarantee that he is an effective NHL player due to his injuries.

Forwards
McDavid
Draisaitl
RNH
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto
Benson
Kahun

Defensemen:
Nurse
Bear
Jones/Lagessson (depending on who plays better this season)

Protect the youth, expose the vets.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
What about Lagesson?
Nothing too special about him either. If thats all we lose to expansion then i call it a success.

Lagesson is good #7 who can play as #6. He may solidify himself as s NHL regular but is far from a core player especially comsidering we got Russell signed for next year and have Jones, Samurai, Broberg coming up at LHD.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It does not even matter if the Klefbom is ineligible for the expansion draft since Seattle will not select him. Klefbom will have two years left at 4.167 M.

If I were the GM of Seattle, I would not take Klefbom since there is no guarantee that he is an effective NHL player due to his injuries.

Forwards
McDavid
Draisaitl
RNH
Puljujarvi
Yamamoto
Benson
Kahun

Defensemen:
Nurse
Bear
Jones/Lagessson (depending on who plays better this season)

Protect the youth, expose the vets.

I think the Oil are gonna have to roll 7 and 3 with the emergence of Puljujarvi. That would make it McDavid, Draisaitl, Yamamoto , Puljujarvi, and quite likely an extended Nugent Hopkins. The other forwards on your list I view as undesirable as prospective expansion picks. I wonder if Holland tries to move one of Jones or Lagesson for a forward upgrade or goaltender. The Oilers imo have room to acquire and protect another forward after its top 5. Protect Nurse, Bear, Jones or Lagesson.

Are there any potential top heavy team(s) with surplus forwards and a weaker d-corp that might value a deal?

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Mid-season bump... Who would you leave unprotected? I think Khaira, Marody, Benson and Lagesson have raised their stock and Jones has been average so far this year. If Seattle goes for someone young, I think they choose Khaira. Which is ironic because i laughed out loud with THG predicted that we would lose Khaira in the expansion draft.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's still extremely difficult to see how the expansion draft unfolds. Negotiating extensions is going to take some time due to the financial uncertainty of the league right now. We need to see how the league rules on a player like Klefbom, who likely doesn't play at all this season.

Looking at the UFA crop this summer, it's possible that Holland will want to make sure his UFAs get protected. RNH and Larsson are likely two highly sought after free agents should they hit the market.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's still extremely difficult to see how the expansion draft unfolds. Negotiating extensions is going to take some time due to the financial uncertainty of the league right now. We need to see how the league rules on a player like Klefbom, who likely doesn't play at all this season.

Looking at the UFA crop this summer, it's possible that Holland will want to make sure his UFAs get protected. RNH and Larsson are likely two highly sought after free agents should they hit the market.

And Barrie. Need to resign Larsson and Barrie IMO. RNH as well but If he wants to chase the bucks with Columbus, Seattle, or another team we probably lose him. Holland can’t overpay for him.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
And Barrie. Need to resign Larsson and Barrie IMO. RNH as well but If he wants to chase the bucks with Columbus, Seattle, or another team we probably lose him. Holland can’t overpay for him.
Barrie is the player who Holland needs to wait on IMO. There's a lot of room for negotiation. He's also a player I could see looking at what else is out there before commiting anywhere.

And as I've said before, Holland has some wiggle room with RNH--and Larsson for that matter. I shudder to think of the lack of options out there if you lose either one of them. Holland's job this summer is to utilize his cap flexibility to improve the team's chances of being competitive. He'd be putting himself in a bad spot letting either one of those players walk.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
What doesn’t seem to get mentioned here is the Oilers should be working on an extension for Haas. Nothing ridiculous, something reasonable. He is exempt from the expansion draft and sign him to two year extension and you can afford to lose someone from your bottom-6.
(Apologies if it was discussed earlier)

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I really don't know how I would go with the protection list right now. A lot of it depends on whether Holland can get handshake deals done with RNH/Larsson.

If you could get handshake deals done with both, you could go 4/4 with McDavid/Drai/Yams/Pulj, and Nurse/Bear/Jones or Lags/Klefbom, and likely lose a player like Kassian. Or go 7/3 with McDavid/Drai/Yams/Pulj/Kassian/Kahun??/Khaira?? (not sure about those last 2 spots), and Nurse/Bear/Jones or Lags or Klefbom.

Neither of those scenarios is really all that terrible to be honest. We have some young wingers coming up right now, Lavoie, Holloway, Benson, McLeod as well as lots of young dmen (Samorukov, Bouchard, Broberg) that could fill in for lost players. I don't see us losing an integral piece of the team, barring Klefbom somehow miraculously being back to his old self.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Barrie is the player who Holland needs to wait on IMO. There's a lot of room for negotiation. He's also a player I could see looking at what else is out there before commiting anywhere.

And as I've said before, Holland has some wiggle room with RNH--and Larsson for that matter. I shudder to think of the lack of options out there if you lose either one of them. Holland's job this summer is to utilize his cap flexibility to improve the team's chances of being competitive. He'd be putting himself in a bad spot letting either one of those players walk.

If Barrie wants to come in at a mid term deal - 3-4 years at 5 to 5.5 I think we sign him. He seems to really enjoy playing here and we can afford that contract if RNH comes in at 6-6.5 and Larsson at 3-3.5.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
What doesn’t seem to get mentioned here is the Oilers should be working on an extension for Haas. Nothing ridiculous, something reasonable. He is exempt from the expansion draft and sign him to two year extension and you can afford to lose someone from your bottom-6.
(Apologies if it was discussed earlier)

I would look to bring back all of Ennis, Haas and Khaira if they are willing to take something similar to what they make now.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way but the expansion draft is a non issue for the Oilers.

We will almost certainly lose someone good but also certainly no one of consequence.

Likely 7 3 1 if we resign Nuge but if not... 4 4 1 works too. The only 4 forwards that matter:

McDavid
Draisaitl
Yamamoto
Puljujarvi

The only 2 defense that matter IMO:

Nurse Bear

Reactions: Dempsey and LTIR

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I got 6 foewatds and four defensemen I want to protect. So maybe leave Larsson or Lagesson exposed andcross your fingers they doesnt het picked.

Tjat makes room for a seventh forward to protect = trade for a good top 6 forward.

I think Jones holds most value to rrade foe anfoewatd ( We willnprobably loose Jones anyway in that exp. draft).

So Jones + Koskinen or Neal 50% retained for a food forward+ a bad contract for one year. Otherwise no one wants to pick up Koskinen or Neal.

Tjen trade the one of Koskinen/Neal 50% retained for Bobby Ryan. One year of norhing but rid of bad contract and eoom for Nuges new vontract og 6,8 or what it will be (shoild be 6$, in NA you count pointproduction. Nuge doesnt scoopong kn points, he does important things to making a line better)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I got 6 foewatds and four defensemen I want to protect. So maybe leave Larsson or Lagesson exposed andcross your fingers they doesnt het picked.

Tjat makes room for a seventh forward to protect = trade for a good top 6 forward.

I think Jones holds most value to rrade foe anfoewatd ( We willnprobably loose Jones anyway in that exp. draft).

So Jones + Koskinen or Neal 50% retained for a food forward+ a bad contract for one year. Otherwise no one wants to pick up Koskinen or Neal.

Tjen trade the one of Koskinen/Neal 50% retained for Bobby Ryan. One year of norhing but rid of bad contract and eoom for Nuges new vontract og 6,8 or what it will be (shoild be 6$, in NA you count pointproduction. Nuge doesnt scoopong kn points, he does important things to making a line better)
My Oilers list is 4F , 1Dman and 0 goalies.

In other words it dont matter who gets picked. If its Bear or Kahun so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad