Speculation: Expansion Draft

JBear

Mar 26, 2014
What would it take to get Seattle to pick Neal? Pick and prospect? If we could get outta that contract, that would be amazing.

If Seattle would take Neal if we included a 2nd/3rd and Jones, would you do it?
I would do that. Losing that Neal contract would be huge for obvious reasons. We have depth on our left side coming up as well.

If I were Seattle I would do it as well. Getting a draft pick, and an up and coming Dman who's almost full time NHL ready.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I think you gotta try to convince RNH to sign after the ED, problem is, we still lose Jones or Benson. This one will hurt more than the last one.

Edit: I trust Holland's evaluation of who to protect though. Nearly every team is facing the same thing.

Edit... 2: I like the idea of a quantity for quality swap, but it's difficult because no one else wants to put themselves in the same position as we are - too many players to protect.
How will it hurt when neither are NHL regulars?

Reactions: MoontoScott

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
There's very little chance that happens. They won't leave Puljujarvi open and they won't let RNH go to UFA.

We won't have a good idea of who we're losing until we have a final word on Klefbom's status.

Respectfully disagree

Mcdavid
Leon
Piza Boy
Yamamoto

Klefbom
Nurse
Jones
Bear

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Respectfully disagree

Mcdavid
Leon
Piza Boy
Yamamoto

Klefbom
Nurse
Jones
Bear
Who's more valuable to the team? RNH or Jones? Unlikely they give RNH the opportunity to negotiate with Seattle considering he'd be their best option for a 1C.

Lagesson has even proven himself more valuable than Jones at this point.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I would consider Nuge gone at this point! Guy has been here 10 years, if I were him I would look at it like this:

1) If we win the cup this year great, I've done my job time to move on.
2) If we don't win this year - I've paid my dues, it's finally time for a change.

PS: a desperate team will likely offer him over 7, so why not take more money and live in a better city.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I protect
McDavid, draisaitl, nuge, Yamamoto, McLeod, puljujarvi and acquired player(hall) or Turris.

Bouchard, bear and nurse on defense.
Unless Bouchard doesn't need to be protected then Jones.
Protecting Turris ?

What you smoking man

Seriously

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I could have seen that being the list before the season started, before we knew the severity of Klefbom’s injury and before Jones played himself out of the lineup for most of the season.

Both Klefbom and Jones are this years whipping boys--oiler fans need them and always will--over my last 20 years in this board, every year, the board gets a gang mentality against one or two players and want to run them out of town.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Both Klefbom and Jones are this years whipping boys--oiler fans need them and always will--over my last 20 years in this board, every year, the board gets a gang mentality against one or two players and want to run them out of town.

The team will 100% protect Klefbom if the league doesn't rule his injury serious enough to be exempt from the expansion draft. With treatment his shoulder should be good enough for the duration of his contract and probably longer. This is an elite athlete in his late 20's, not late 30's.

As the current lineup stands I'm pretty sure the plan is to sign RNH before the season is over and go 7-3. We really only have 3 Dmen worth protecting and Jones isn't one of them.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The team will 100% protect Klefbom if the league doesn't rule his injury serious enough to be exempt from the expansion draft. With treatment his shoulder should be good enough for the duration of his contract and probably longer. This is an elite athlete in his late 20's, not late 30's.

As the current lineup stands I'm pretty sure the plan is to sign RNH before the season is over and go 7-3. We really only have 3 Dmen worth protecting and Jones isn't one of them.

and just 6 months ago he was a steal of a player

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Klefbom is ok

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
read some of the comments--some fans are cutting bait with him due to this latest injury
Its a career altering injury.
Fans are cutting bait because he likely may never play again.

Most will take a healthy Klefbom over Nurse as our top pairing LD

Reactions: Oilhawks

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
To be a whipping boy, you need to get into the lineup. Neither of these is in it. Klefbom is hurt with a long-term injury and a very murky NHL future and Jones is a waiver-eligible defenseman who can't nail down one of two LD spots available on a very shallow roster.

Neither of these guys are whipping boys.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
To be a whipping boy, you need to get into the lineup. Neither of these is in it. Klefbom is hurt with a long-term injury and a very murky NHL future and Jones is a waiver-eligible defenseman who can't nail down one of two LD spots available on a very shallow roster.

Neither of these guys are whipping boys.
turris and kass are whipping boys

Reactions: CanmoreMike

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
How is Klefbom being whipped on? I’ve never seen anything other than sympathy for him. Personally I think his career is likely over. If it’s arthritis, that’s probably the best thing for him. I’m not a doctor and I don’t know what he is living with. People are generally being realistic with Jones.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
How is Klefbom being whipped on? I’ve never seen anything other than sympathy for him. Personally I think his career is likely over. If it’s arthritis, that’s probably the best thing for him. I’m not a doctor and I don’t know what he is living with. People are generally being realistic with Jones.

go through more posts--people are cutting ties with him

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
We have space to protect an extra forward or two if we go 7-3-1....

McDavid
Drai
RNH
Yamp
JP
JJ (only if he continues his strong play)
xxxx

...... so the market might be in our favor if we a trade an exempt player or two like Benson, Kesselring, Maximov for a guy on a deep team who does need protection. I like Kesselring a lot, but if he doesn't sign this spring, I'd use the expansion draft as an opportunity to continue filling holes in the bottom 6 forwards since we have an extra protected slot(s).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad