Speculation: Expansion draft - who are you protecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Two things. First off, Lehtonen is a UFA at the end of the year, so that wouldn’t have helped us. Secondly, every team loses a player so we will be losing a “player for nothing” regardless. You make it sound like it’s bad asset management but that is an unavoidable part of the expansion draft and unfortunately the player the Leafs will lose this go around will have more value, but that’s a result of having a better team.
They will disregard everything and do anything to play that harp.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I think Seattle will have a really, really nice team - gone are the days of the Trashers.

I'd be very tempted to trade Dermott to any team with minimal valuable D on their current team - someone like the Nucks? I see only 2 "obvious" Ds Myers and Schmidt, and even then I think Myers with his contract is negative value. Give them Dermott for a pick if you can secure a UFA-to-be 3LD via trade before deadline (here I like Oleksiak a helluva lot).

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
And also let's not forget who we protected last time... no wonder we weren't as worried about this then lol...

Luckily the majority of our major assets were exempt. This time I feel like we’re in decent shape too. Kerfoot and dermott while good players both have valid reasons for being moved on from this off season

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I think Seattle will have a really, really nice team - gone are the days of the Trashers.

I'd be very tempted to trade Dermott to any team with minimal valuable D on their current team - someone like the Nucks? I see only 2 "obvious" Ds Myers and Schmidt, and even then I think Myers with his contract is negative value. Give them Dermott for a pick if you can secure a UFA-to-be 3LD via trade before deadline (here I like Oleksiak a helluva lot).
Don’t quote me, but I’m fairly certain that unless we re up bogo who either then becomes overpaid or the casualty we don’t have another exposable D man

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

Seattle wont be bad but I'm guessing GMs learned from their mistakes last time and wont gift them 2 point per game players (Florida) or 22 year old top pair dmen (Anaheim) to protect mediocre Dmen.

Or trade a young 40 goal centre and 1st rounder (turned into another 1st line centre) to save a bit of cash (Columbus).

Reactions: Nylanderthal

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
honestly, If we loose Kerfoot or Dermott, I don't think it'll be a big loss for Toronto. Dermott doesn't seem to be in the long term plans with Lilly or Sandin in the program and Kerfoot just seems to be someone that we can replace for a lot less. He is a good player but not a player that I would pay that much for. Would rather lose Kerfoot but if Dermott goes.....so be it.

I would rather lose Kerfoot as well. He is easily replacable @ $3.5

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Quick question. If Dermott doesn't agree to a contract before the expansion draft, I'm guessing he can't be our 1D under contract in 2021-22 that we expose. I assume we'll want to protect Holl which puts us in the 8 skaters category:

Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Nylander
Muzzin
Brodie
Rielly
Holl
Campbell

We haven't exposed a D under contract. I'm assuming that Seattle can draft our rights to Dermott though. Kind of annoying that we'd have to trade for a placeholder D that played 40 games this year to expose alongside Dermott, when it's like Dermott's rights that would be claimed anyway.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Capfriendly doesn't recognize Dermott as being a signed D for 2021-22.
Ah, I stand corrected. I just read something that states that RFA's will be treated like UFA's.....no matching. That's different from Vegas I believe....

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Ah, I stand corrected. I just read something that states that RFA's will be treated like UFA's.....no matching. That's different from Vegas I believe....

It feels weird though, as mentioned my post right after yours. I guess that's just the thing where you make a side-deal w/ Seattle for your pending RFA. Or I guess just get your RFA signed, but it's not always in your control.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Quick question. If Dermott doesn't agree to a contract before the expansion draft, I'm guessing he can't be our 1D under contract in 2021-22 that we expose. I assume we'll want to protect Holl which puts us in the 8 skaters category:

Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Nylander
Muzzin
Brodie
Rielly
Holl
Campbell

We haven't exposed a D under contract. I'm assuming that Seattle can draft our rights to Dermott though. Kind of annoying that we'd have to trade for a placeholder D that played 40 games this year to expose alongside Dermott, when it's like Dermott's rights that would be claimed anyway.

Pretty sure Seattle can draft a UFA or RFA so those need to be protected to avoid exposure to the draft.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Pretty sure Seattle can draft a UFA or RFA so those need to be protected to avoid exposure to the draft.

Yea, as stated:

I'm assuming that Seattle can draft our rights to Dermott though. Kind of annoying that we'd have to trade for a placeholder D that played 40 games this year to expose alongside Dermott, when it's likely Dermott's rights that would be claimed anyway.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I don't like the idea of trading Dermott just because. If we have to lose him to the expansion draft, so be it. But if you trade him, we still have to lose another player. Assuming the Leafs go 4-4, that means Seattle probably takes either UFA Hyman, Mikeyhev, or Kerfoot. So the question is whether the Leafs want like a 3rd round pick and lose Dermott + Mik, or just lose Dermott to Seattle.

I'd rather the latter option honestly.

Reactions: MR4

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
honestly, If we loose Kerfoot or Dermott, I don't think it'll be a big loss for Toronto. Dermott doesn't seem to be in the long term plans with Lilly or Sandin in the program and Kerfoot just seems to be someone that we can replace for a lot less. He is a good player but not a player that I would pay that much for. Would rather lose Kerfoot but if Dermott goes.....so be it.

Not trying to start an argument or anything but what has happened that makes you think Dermott isn't in the long term plans?

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Not trying to start an argument or anything but what has happened that makes you think Dermott isn't in the long term plans?
I'd say its because he's still only a 3rd pairing pending RFA D, currently on a cheap contract, with two potential replacements breathing down his neck. He's the very definition of expendable. Don't get me wrong. I like Dermott, but if he isn't here next year, I don't think the fanbase is going to burn any jerseys in protest.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Someone has to be claimed in the XD, if you move dermott for magic beans then you still have to find a d man to expose and risk losing them or kerfoot/Engvall as well.
Not to mention there’s two first round picks on D looking to make the move up to the big club and that the current top 4 is in place for the medium term.
TD has been a good soldier for us, but the writing is on the wall for him not being here next summer short of him channelling his inner Bobby Orr down the stretch and into a deep playoff run.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I'd say its because he's still only a 3rd pairing pending RFA D, currently on a cheap contract, with two potential replacements breathing down his neck. He's the very definition of expendable. Don't get me wrong. I like Dermott, but if he isn't here next year, I don't think the fanbase is going to burn any jerseys in protest.

I agree that most won't be too upset. I will be. But Dubas and Co aren't going to worry if the fans are upset or not really. The problem with losing Dermott is he's still young, cheap, has lots of room to grow and has shown he can play up further in the lineup when injuries happen albeit a small sample size. The rest of the left side is going to be full of question marks over the next few years. Rielly may price himself out of town. Muzzin may just all of a sudden get old. Sandin may not turn out to be anything more than a Gostisbehere or injury prone. Plus it would suck to lose Dermott and have this fanbase riot if he were to become a Brodie type player on some other team.

Reactions: Northernguy10

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Someone has to be claimed in the XD, if you move dermott for magic beans then you still have to find a d man to expose and risk losing them or kerfoot/Engvall as well.
Not to mention there’s two first round picks on D looking to make the move up to the big club and that the current top 4 is in place for the medium term.
TD has been a good soldier for us, but the writing is on the wall for him not being here next summer short of him channelling his inner Bobby Orr down the stretch and into a deep playoff run.

I agree. I'm not saying he should be traded because that would mean losing someone else on the back end. I'm hoping they can be convinced to take Kerfoot. I like Kerfoot and think he's been doing fine. Just not 3.5m fine.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Nope, he doesn't have to be signed to be eligible - he's RFA controlled.

Then Holl would need to be exposed, if not exposing Dermott, and yes Dermott needs a contract to be exposed.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Then Holl would need to be exposed, if not exposing Dermott, and yes Dermott needs a contract to be exposed.
Yep. Actually, he is basically a UFA according to the rules - if he signs with Seattle, there is no matching like with normal RFA's. Slightly different from last time.
If they lose Holl, then there is Liljegren or someone like Vatanen if they want experience. As for Dermott, Sandin will in all likelihood be stepping in to replace him in the lineup.

Not worried at all about losing anyone.

Reactions: The Iceman
Jul 10, 2003
KW
How much would it cost to have Seattle take Kerfoot over Dermott and Hyman? Does a pair of 2nd round picks sound about right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad