Expansion draft - Vegas takes.....Pulkkinen!?!?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
The difficulty with understanding a lot of the baffling ones is we don't have anywhere near all the facts, especially if we think all the exposed players were ever really available to be selected.

It appears Vegas cut a lot of deals with teams not to select certain players before the trade freeze started, so those teams knew they were safe exposing those players. Vegas may have done some of those trades proactively to undermine the reshuffling of players before the ED. And the final trades we heard tonight during the draft may be very different then those original trades.

Once the protection rosters were submitted I suspect Vegas went back to many of their original trade partners and worked out expanded trades with them to go beyond the original lesser pre-draft deals.

I really hope all the back dealing info gets published. Would love to see how this all came together.

As an example, the suspicion is that Vegas agreed to some pre-draft deal where Minny didn't have to trade Dumba before the draft and Vegas agreed not to take him. Later expanded that deal into the Tuch/Haula trade, which I think is pretty darn good for filling a Vegas young player pipeline.

This is all very interesting. Thanks Mouser. I'm with you, I really hope they publish what all went down, much like the Team USA Olympic selection.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
This is all very interesting. Thanks Mouser. I'm with you, I really hope they publish what all went down, much like the Team USA Olympic selection.

It would be cool if we found out they recorded all the wheeling and dealing and aired it during the lead up to an outdoor game between the Yotes and Knights.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd love to see a behind the scenes documentary. It'd probably have a lot of interest leaguewide from fans because it touched everyone's team. So I'm sure they didn't do anything like that.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Well I guess they couldn't just say "no thanks". They probably took one look at our available players and said "It doesn't friggen matter, just pick one and move on to something more important."

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Well I guess they couldn't just say "no thanks". They probably took one look at our available players and said "It doesn't friggen matter, just pick one and move on to something more important."

I think Brad Richardson is pretty easily better than two of their current centers. Maybe even 3 of them if Richardson plays at the level he did early last year. Of course there's the injury and the possibility they look to improve that position later.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Vegas made some good moves and some baffling ones.

Thought the ANA trade was good for both teams. Theodore is a very nice piece to add and will fit better with the possible three kids they draft this year.

MINN trade was baffling. Why not ask for Erikson-EK and if they say no take Dumba? On top of it you add a 3rd? GM's do like to make alliances so this should put them in very good favor with MINN.

Highway robbery for the Islanders and Florida. Wow. With how easy they were on MINN and even you could argue with ANA it almost feels like McPhee forgot what division he is in.

Pretty impressive that Vegas pretty much got to deal all the expansion trades. Going to be a crazy week or two.

The Islanders did well in my view. Remember they had a lot to lose but instead were able not only to unload a goalie they didn't want anymore but also the terrible Grabovksi contract giving them flexibility for trades. Yes, they're minus two draft picks but still have tons of defensemen left to trade for high end offense. Since they were able to dump Grabovksi, they now also have the room to do so.

Similar situation for Columbus who unloaded the terrible Clarkson contract.

The only team that failed to take advantage of the unique opportunity to get rid of a bad contract are...the Coyotes. It may have cost the Minnesota 1st rounder but screw it. Unless Barroway grabs deep into his pocket to buy the friggin McGinn outta his awful contract, the guy is gonna take up one of the 50 contracts and is gonna make 3,33 millions a year to play for Tucson until 2019. What a nightmare. I knew it from the beginning but nobody believed me. Now the Coyotes had the chance to dump him but elected not to. Maybe they're still hoping to secretly exchange him with his brother next time they play Carolina?:laugh:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
They could also have something lined up with Kruger and/or someone else to effectively take that role. Like mouser said above, it's hard to judge them all without knowing what else is in the hopper.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The only team that failed to take advantage of the unique opportunity to get rid of a bad contract are...the Coyotes. It may have cost the Minnesota 1st rounder but screw it. Unless Barroway grabs deep into his pocket to buy the friggin McGinn outta his awful contract, the guy is gonna take up one of the 50 contracts and is gonna make 3,33 millions a year to play for Tucson until 2019. What a nightmare. I knew it from the beginning but nobody believed me. Now the Coyotes had the chance to dump him but elected not to. Maybe they're still hoping to secretly exchange him with his brother next time they play Carolina?:laugh:

You're comparing apples to orangutans. Both Grabo and Clarkson are LTIR with insurance paying most of their contracts. And quite simply "cheaper" then McGinn.

There are a lot of other team fans out there who are upset that Vegas didn't select their overpaid vet on a crappy contract. So don't paint this as some unique Coyotes phenomena.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

Giving up a first to get rid of a guy who is only paid 3.3m and only has two years left would be crazy.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Wasn't sure where to put this .

Sens need a Methot replacement , can Michael Stone play the left side? Has he done so for you guys in the pst?

Thanks

Sad Sens fan.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wasn't sure where to put this .

Sens need a Methot replacement , can Michael Stone play the left side? Has he done so for you guys in the pst?

Thanks

Sad Sens fan.

Michael Stone struggles to handle his natural side at times. He's played maybe half a dozen games on the left and has no particular affinity for it. I wouldn't consider him a Methot replacement in any way due to his play, before you even get to handedness.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The difficulty with understanding a lot of the baffling ones is we don't have anywhere near all the facts, especially if we think all the exposed players were ever really available to be selected.

It appears Vegas cut a lot of deals with teams not to select certain players before the trade freeze started, so those teams knew they were safe exposing those players. Vegas may have done some of those trades proactively to undermine the reshuffling of players before the ED. And the final trades we heard tonight during the draft may be very different then those original trades.

Once the protection rosters were submitted I suspect Vegas went back to many of their original trade partners and worked out expanded trades with them to go beyond the original lesser pre-draft deals.

I really hope all the back dealing info gets published. Would love to see how this all came together.

As an example, the suspicion is that Vegas agreed to some pre-draft deal where Minny didn't have to trade Dumba before the draft and Vegas agreed not to take him. Later expanded that deal into the Tuch/Haula trade, which I think is pretty darn good for filling a Vegas young player pipeline.

I think this is something that we may never know for certain, and there may be other plays involved now that Vegas officially has a roster. The sheer volume of defensemen taken suggests that with these players in tow, Vegas will now have at least better ammunition to pry players that were protected away from teams.

It is very possible that some of the "strange" picks was due to ongoing trade talks with teams regarding some players that could be taken and some that couldn't. Let's say that there have been talks regarding a package deal of a player who was exempt and a player who was exposed. If Vegas were to just outright take the exposed player, that may actually kill the deal or other future deals that are being worked on.

Remember, GMs do smart and dumb things all the time...

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Do we really have that many BAD contracts though?

I think you are over-substantiating what we did or didn't do properly, and in some cases, we have to wait for Vegas to fill out its roster before discussing any moves. There is still a draft left and now that teams have lost certain players, there are still opportunities for the Coyotes to take advantage of some opportunities that are far bigger than an opportunity to get rid of a bad contract. Hell, we may need some bad contracts to help reach the floor.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The Islanders did well in my view. Remember they had a lot to lose but instead were able not only to unload a goalie they didn't want anymore but also the terrible Grabovksi contract giving them flexibility for trades. Yes, they're minus two draft picks but still have tons of defensemen left to trade for high end offense. Since they were able to dump Grabovksi, they now also have the room to do so.

I wasn't wrong. Islanders landed Eberle for Strome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad