Expansion draft - Vegas takes.....Pulkkinen!?!?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Noticed that. It's on in the background, but I haven't been paying much attention, and I'm in and out of the room. The awards show has always bored me.

Yeah. Very annoying. Such a boring broadcast...unreal...

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
No D that the Coyotes should be falling over themselves for.

And there sure didn't end being teams in anywhere close to the bad spot this draft was supposed to put them in. Good thing we prepared for it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We aren't targeting Mrazek. His salary plus the Smith retention equals Smith's salary. Chayka was clear as day that his intention was to go cheap on a goalie to address needs in the skaters front. A philosophy I whole-heartedly agree with.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Keeping:
Theodore
Schmidt
Miller
McNabb
Engelland
Reinhart
Merrill

Available:
Methot
Garrison
Emelin
Stoner
Schlemko
TVR

My guesses

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I like the reports how Vegas handled "The Pledge" with trade partners before the trade freeze.

Paraphrasing: "If we agree to a deal with your team then you can't make any trades afterward that could impact Vegas' expansion draft options."

As they starting working out pre-draft deals they could dry up the pool of suitors for teams looking to make a pre-draft trade.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
06. Rasmussen
13. Valimaki
15. Kostin

Starting in 2006, McPhee as Caps GM showed a tendency to draft Swedes in the first round (Backstrom, Gustaffson, Johansson, Forsberg, Burakovsky), especially when he had multiple firsts, so I do think Pettersson, Liljegren, and Brannstrom will be on his radar.

Last edited:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Vegas made some good moves and some baffling ones.

Thought the ANA trade was good for both teams. Theodore is a very nice piece to add and will fit better with the possible three kids they draft this year.

MINN trade was baffling. Why not ask for Erikson-EK and if they say no take Dumba? On top of it you add a 3rd? GM's do like to make alliances so this should put them in very good favor with MINN.

Highway robbery for the Islanders and Florida. Wow. With how easy they were on MINN and even you could argue with ANA it almost feels like McPhee forgot what division he is in.

Pretty impressive that Vegas pretty much got to deal all the expansion trades. Going to be a crazy week or two.

rt

May 13, 2004
Starting in 2006, McPhee as Caps GM showed a tendency to draft Swedes in the first round (Backstrom, Gustaffson, Johansson, Forsberg, Burakovsky), especially when he had multiple firsts, so I do think Pettersson, Liljegren, and Brannstrom will be on his radar.

Decent shot he can have all three with those picks. Maybe sub Andersson for Brannstrom who's a pretty big reach at 15.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Decent shot he can have all three with those picks. Maybe sub Andersson for Brannstrom who's a pretty big reach at 15.

Disagree re: Brannstrom. He's a top 15 talent and although he is only 5'9", lack of size didn't really hinder him from producing both in a Swedish men's league and in international competition. He is also one of the youngest players in this draft, so he does have an solid chance to at least become Ryan Ellis-sized (Ellis was also 5'9" when he was drafted).

rt

May 13, 2004
Disagree re: Brannstrom. He's a top 15 talent and although he is only 5'9", lack of size didn't really hinder him from producing both in a Swedish men's league and in international competition. He is also one of the youngest players in this draft, so he does have an solid chance to at least become Ryan Ellis-sized (Ellis was also 5'9" when he was drafted).

You don't have to convince me. He's 29th on McKenzie's list. Which is generally very, very representative of how NHL teams feel and how the draft goes. Want him at 23? Cool! Me too! 15? Nah. I don't see it. Bobby Mac gets it right.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Vegas made some good moves and some baffling ones.

The difficulty with understanding a lot of the baffling ones is we don't have anywhere near all the facts, especially if we think all the exposed players were ever really available to be selected.

It appears Vegas cut a lot of deals with teams not to select certain players before the trade freeze started, so those teams knew they were safe exposing those players. Vegas may have done some of those trades proactively to undermine the reshuffling of players before the ED. And the final trades we heard tonight during the draft may be very different then those original trades.

Once the protection rosters were submitted I suspect Vegas went back to many of their original trade partners and worked out expanded trades with them to go beyond the original lesser pre-draft deals.

I really hope all the back dealing info gets published. Would love to see how this all came together.

MINN trade was baffling. Why not ask for Erikson-EK and if they say no take Dumba? On top of it you add a 3rd? GM's do like to make alliances so this should put them in very good favor with MINN.

As an example, the suspicion is that Vegas agreed to some pre-draft deal where Minny didn't have to trade Dumba before the draft and Vegas agreed not to take him. Later expanded that deal into the Tuch/Haula trade, which I think is pretty darn good for filling a Vegas young player pipeline.

Last edited:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
You don't have to convince me. He's 29th on McKenzie's list. Which is generally very, very representative of how NHL teams feel and how the draft goes. Want him at 23? Cool! Me too! 15? Nah. I don't see it. Bobby Mac gets it right.

I'd be thrilled if Brannstrom's still around at 23.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad