Expansion draft - Vegas takes.....Pulkkinen!?!?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Smith had a bad year, but he still almost hit 40 points. They made out like bandits there. I'd love to have picked up Smith. Maybe the Gallant connection played there.

This. Highway robbery. Awful for Florida even though I think it will be hard for Marchessault to immediately repeat what he did last season.

Reactions: Name Nameless

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So basically they're giving up Marchessault just for Vegas to take on Smith?
I mean the guy had one bad season and is a 2x 20 goals and 50 points scorer...and if he does that, he's worth the 5 millions he makes.

Yup. Vegas gives up Marchessault and Smith for a 2018 4th round pick from Vegas.

Btw, every trade announced during the show tonight includes some expansion draft element. Like who Vegas picks or doesn't pick, or who a team exposes, a la Marchessault. Even if the trade description on TV doesn't include that in the details.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
How did Detroit not have to give anything up?

HFB severely overrating how much value Mrazek carries after his rotten 2016-17 season and $4+ salary. I would have gone with Maxim Oulette but can understand why Vegas took Nosek. Had an outstanding AHL season and playoffs, could be a late bloomer blocked in the Detroit extended development system. He probably isn't, but the other options weren't that wonderful.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah they basically didn't want anyone that had an actual contract from our roster. Would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Most of our good players were protected or not eligible for the draft.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Philly had a steaming pile of junk exposed, similar to the Yotes.

Weal actually played a decent season. Mason and Neuvirth are two fair goalies and Del Zotto a pretty good defender. Del Zotto's wrist problems may have scared them away but when playing for a competent coach and when healthy, the guy is able to put up quite some points. Also an absolute warrior. Was one of my best fantasy players last season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
HFB severely overrating how much value Mrazek carries after his rotten 2016-17 season and $4+ salary..

Wrong. I think Vegas just didn't want another goalie after having to select Lack, Berube and Fleury due to all of those picks thrown at them. They probably also fell for all that talk about Mrazek's personality. Detroit's aggressive media was responsible for some pretty unfair articles about the guy. Also, the wings clearly didn't like that he was being very honest when talking to slovak media.

Mrazek hat one bad season which is nothing special for a young netminder. You can also easily explain that with some questionable performances by the Wings defense.

If Chayka can't sign Johnson he should be all over Mrazek to get him outta Detroit.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Weal actually played a decent season. Mason and Neuvirth are two fair goalies and Del Zotto a pretty good defender. Del Zotto's wrist problems may have scared them away but when playing for a competent coach and when healthy, the guy is able to put up quite some points. Also an absolute warrior. Was one of my best fantasy players last season.

Weal is a pending UFA. According to media reports Vegas talked to him during their signing window to see if he was interested, but Weal indicated he's going to test UFA on July 1st.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Nashville's GM wins the GM of the year award and loses James Neil to Vegas. Perhaps he should give the award back? :laugh:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Wrong. I think Vegas just didn't want another goalie after having to select Lack, Berube and Fleury due to all of those picks thrown at them. They probably also fell for all that talk about Mrazek's personality. Detroit's aggressive media was responsible for some pretty unfair articles about the guy. Also, the wings clearly didn't like that he was being very honest when talking to slovak media.

Mrazek hat one bad season which is nothing special for a young netminder. You can also easily explain that with some questionable performances by the Wings defense.

Any team could have offered to trade Vegas something of value to select Mrazek in the expansion draft and trade him to them. Vegas reportedly spent most of Tuesday running an auction for teams to bid on unprotected players.

Vegas didn't take Mrazek, ergo we're left to conclude no one offered Vegas something they thought was worth more then Nosek. A 24 year old undrafted forward with a good AHL season and 1 point in 17 career NHL games.

That sums up what the auction market was for Mrazek.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Any team could have offered to trade Vegas something of value to select Mrazek in the expansion draft and trade him to them. Vegas reportedly spent most of Tuesday running an auction for teams to bid on unprotected players.

Vegas didn't take Mrazek, ergo we're left to conclude no one offered Vegas something they thought was worth more then Nosek. A 24 year old undrafted forward with a good AHL season and 1 point in 17 career NHL games.

That sums up what the auction market was for Mrazek.

Right. Because there's no market for goalies. Also why Vegas didn't take Mason or Neuvirth.
But believe me the Mrazek bashing in Detroit is scaring teams away from him...not the one bad season he had that can even be easily explained. And that's exactly why the Coyotes should offer Detroit a 7th or 5th for Mrazek if they fail to sign Johnson. Mrazek's skillset is off the charts.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So Vegas takes on Colin Miller but they didn't want Del Zotto? Miller is pretty bad...

Also why do they take Leipsic over Rychel?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Should be interesting moving into the draft watching where all these defensemen end up.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If the Yotes want Mrazek I'd offer a 3rd/4th if Detroit retains 30%, to bring his 2017-18 salary down to about $3m. But that's probably better served in the offseason thread.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Vegas selecting a few very dirty players... if they keep them all they could end up being a very ugly team.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
HFB severely overrating how much value Mrazek carries after his rotten 2016-17 season and $4+ salary. I would have gone with Maxim Oulette but can understand why Vegas took Nosek. Had an outstanding AHL season and playoffs, could be a late bloomer blocked in the Detroit extended development system. He probably isn't, but the other options weren't that wonderful.

Didn't realize his salary was that high. But even if they didn't take a goalie from DET I figured it would be Oulette as well.

I really don't know too much about Nosek and they do need to fill out their AHL team so still seems like a decent move.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
This is really neither here nor there, but a lot of the highlight videos have shown Coyotes getting scored on :laugh:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Noticed that. It's on in the background, but I haven't been paying much attention, and I'm in and out of the room. The awards show has always bored me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad