Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think the best chance Portland had was when the Coyotes were in the thick of their arena problems and were trying to sell. Paul Allen considered buying them, but it didn't happen.

I do think NHL would be successful in Portland, but I don't think that happens any time soon, largely because of the Kraken. If somebody out west were to move, I'd imagine Portland would be near the tip top of the list.

Portland is way way outside the range territorial range. If Portland gets a NHL team via relocation. Seattle couldn't stop it from happening. At most it would just be a fee to the team for giving up Oregon.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
What hasn't been greatly discussed, ad was discussed yesterday on ESPN Radio, is the exclusive UFA window that Seattle has. While that window has been discussed, on this thread, the current environment, i.e. large and talented UFA class, plus the flat cap, etc. may have an impact on how Seattle Builds their roster. While Vegas took the route of building a stockpile of both draft picks, young players, and Vets on the last year of their contract (Assuming to flip at the TDL) they didn't go after to many UFA in their negotiation window.
The ability to sign guy's like Landeskog, Hamilton, RNH, Hoffman, etc and fill that team in from the expansion draft, maybe an option.

One of the Mock Drafts that I have seen and really like, and would immediately allow Seattle to play that Western Conference Heavy Possession Type Game.
They would be counting on a couple of the younger Centers to Develop.

Goalie
Khudobin (Dal)
Daccord (OTT)
Vanecek (Was)

Defense
Subban (NJ)
Matheson (Pit)
Zadorov (Chi)
Cernak (TB)
Soucy (Min)
Nutivaara (FL)
Bear (Edm)
Bean (Car)
Mahura (Ana)

Forwards
Landeskog UFA (COL)
Hoffman UFA (STL)
Lindblom (PHILY)
Lowry (Win)
Panik (DET)
Virtanen (Van)
Kunin (Nash)
Eakin (Buf)
Ritchie (Bos)
Athanasiou UFA (LA)
Burke (AZ)
Bellows (NYI)
Howden (NYR)
Dube (Cal)
True (SJ)
J. Anderson (TOR)
Evans (Mon)
Pu (CLB)

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
What hasn't been greatly discussed, ad was discussed yesterday on ESPN Radio, is the exclusive UFA window that Seattle has. While that window has been discussed, on this thread, the current environment, i.e. large and talented UFA class, plus the flat cap, etc. may have an impact on how Seattle Builds their roster. While Vegas took the route of building a stockpile of both draft picks, young players, and Vets on the last year of their contract (Assuming to flip at the TDL) they didn't go after to many UFA in their negotiation window.
The ability to sign guy's like Landeskog, Hamilton, RNH, Hoffman, etc and fill that team in from the expansion draft, maybe an option.

One of the Mock Drafts that I have seen and really like, and would immediately allow Seattle to play that Western Conference Heavy Possession Type Game.

Goalie
Khudobin (Dal)
Daccord (OTT)
Vanecek (Was)

Defense
Subban (NJ)
Matheson (Pit)
Zadorov (Chi)
Cernak (TB)
Soucy (Min)
Nutivaara (FL)
Bear (Edm)
Bean (Car)
Mahura (Ana)

Forwards
Landeskog UFA (COL)
Hoffman UFA (STL)
Lindblom (PHILY)
Lowry (Win)
Panik (DET)
Virtanen (Van)
Kunin (Nash)
Eakin (Buf)
Ritchie (Bos)
Athanasiou UFA (LA)
Burke (AZ)
Bellows (NYI)
Howden (NYR)
Dube (Cal)
True (SJ)
J. Anderson (TOR)
Evans (Mon)
Pu (CLB)

Colorado is not letting Landeskog walk

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Given a choice between Dumba, Soucy, Kaakonen,. Hartman or Sturm, who does Seattle choose from Minnesota?

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007

Goalie
Khudobin (Dal)
Daccord (OTT)
Vanecek (Was)

Defense
Subban (NJ)
Matheson (Pit)
Zadorov (Chi)
Cernak (TB)
Soucy (Min)
Nutivaara (FL)
Bear (Edm)
Bean (Car)
Mahura (Ana)

Forwards
Landeskog UFA (COL)
Hoffman UFA (STL)
Lindblom (PHILY)
Lowry (Win)
Panik (DET)
Virtanen (Van)
Kunin (Nash)
Eakin (Buf)
Ritchie (Bos)
Athanasiou UFA (LA)
Burke (AZ)
Bellows (NYI)
Howden (NYR)
Dube (Cal)
True (SJ)
J. Anderson (TOR)
Evans (Mon)
Pu (CLB)

I started a thread on this a while back. Speculation: - Which UFAs will Seattle "draft"?

If it were my choice, we'd go hard after Danault and Saad. Both still young enough to be around for a long time and worth signing to longer deals.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
A Kraken & Islanders Deal could benefit both franchises

Talk is about us taking Andrew Ladd of their books and the Isles sending back picks/prospects in a side deal.
Ladd has two more years at $5.5 mil left on his contract, while the Islanders don't have their 2021 first round pick(traded to NJ in the Palmieri deal) anymore.

So it could be something including their 2022 first rounder and prospects, according to The Hockey News.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

Talk is about us taking Andrew Ladd of their books and the Isles sending back picks/prospects in a side deal.
Ladd has two more years at $5.5 mil left on his contract, while the Islanders don't have their 2021 first round pick(traded to NJ in the Palmieri deal) anymore.

So it could be something including their 2022 first rounder and prospects, according to The Hockey News.
This is why I have been suggesting that Seattle should auction off its surplus cap space to the highest bidder. If the Islanders want to get rid of Ladd they should make an offer like the other 30 teams. Who knows? Seattle may get two firsts out of Lou in exchange for drafting Ladd.

Reactions: G Backup

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Lou has given up some picks in the past 2 drafts. Not sure he can afford to do much more.

Reactions: andys

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Lou has given up some picks in the past 2 drafts. Not sure he can afford to do much more.

Like I've said they could only trade next years first round pick or even a later one.

Though, Ladd could also be done playing in the NHL while still being on the books for two more years at $5.5 mil.

Trying to offload that on us would certainly cost Lou quite a bit.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Goalie
Khudobin (Dal)
Daccord (OTT)
Vanecek (Was)

Defense
Subban (NJ)
Matheson (Pit)
Zadorov (Chi)
Cernak (TB)
Soucy (Min)
Nutivaara (FL)
Bear (Edm)
Bean (Car)
Mahura (Ana)

Forwards
Landeskog UFA (COL)
Hoffman UFA (STL)
Lindblom (PHILY)
Lowry (Win)
Panik (DET)
Virtanen (Van)
Kunin (Nash)
Eakin (Buf)
Ritchie (Bos)
Athanasiou UFA (LA)
Burke (AZ)
Bellows (NYI)
Howden (NYR)
Dube (Cal)
True (SJ)
J. Anderson (TOR)
Evans (Mon)
Pu (CLB)

Not a chance that they get Landeskog or Bear.
Unrealistic

Reactions: andys and G Backup

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Considering the difficulty finding offensively talented forwards, would Seattle consider selecting Evgeni Dadonov if Ottawa made him available?
Why would they make him available? Given their youth and inexperience Ottawa will really have to work to find 7 forwards to protect.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Why would they make him available? Given their youth and inexperience Ottawa will really have to work to find 7 forwards to protect.

Ottawa is cost conscious and the fans are aware. Drake Batherson had a better season than expected and that could arguably make Dadonov redundant. I don't what the team is thinking, but quite a few HFSens fans left him unprotected.

Reactions: Mike Jones

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Like I've said they could only trade next years first round pick or even a later one.

Though, Ladd could also be done playing in the NHL while still being on the books for two more years at $5.5 mil.

Trying to offload that on us would certainly cost Lou quite a bit.

If the Isles can stick Ladd on LTIR the next couple of years and benefit from the LTIR space then why would they give away picks or prospects?

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Colorado is not letting Landeskog walk

Well, Makar is going to cost Colorado at least 8 million per, similar to Chabot, and that would be a steal, realistically Makar is going to get 9-10 million per. Mac comes up for UFA in 2 years, and you have a flat cap for at least another 2 years.

Iam not saying it happens, however if Landy is unsigned when Seattle can speak to him, what kind of contract would entice him to leave?
I am not saying it will happen, but Seattle could potentially price Landy out of Colorado's budget.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Flames won't expose Dube, I don't think the Jets expose Lowry and I don't see the Hawks exposing Zadorov

Chicago: Murphy and Keith will be protected 100%, however most think it will come down to Zadorov or Calvin DeHaan for the 3rd Defensemen.
Flames: I believe the Dube discussion was before Lucic waiving his NMC. They would have had to make a choice between Dube, Backlund, Mangiapane
Jets: Mark Scheifele, Blake Wheeler (NMC), Kyle Connor, Nikolaj Ehlers and Pierre-Luc Dubois are locks. That leaves 2 spots, between, Mason Appleton, Andrew Copp, Adam Lowry and there seems to be mixed opinions on this.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well, Makar is going to cost Colorado at least 8 million per, similar to Chabot, and that would be a steal, realistically Makar is going to get 9-10 million per. Mac comes up for UFA in 2 years, and you have a flat cap for at least another 2 years.

Iam not saying it happens, however if Landy is unsigned when Seattle can speak to him, what kind of contract would entice him to leave?
I am not saying it will happen, but Seattle could potentially price Landy out of Colorado's budget.
I don't think Makar makes that much on this contract. He is still a non-arbitration eligible RFA. My guess is they bridge him at around 6M AAV or so before his RFA status expires and then give him a bigger contract after. Avs are built to win now and have a decent sized window.

They have players like Graves, Donskoi, etc. that can easily be exposed in the expansion draft to create cap space right now if they need to. Sure. MacKinnon's next contract is gonna be expensive 10M+ but they have 2 years to use that cap space to win the SC. I expect Landeskog gets back at about 7-8M AAV. Not sure about the term. I doubt the Avs want to give 8 years to a player who plays a physical style like Landeskog and has to deal with injuries often. Maybe a 5-6 year contract.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Hello flat cap issue for the next several years. Players are not GOING to get high contract increases. You do not let top line players walk for free if you can't no longer afford a player you trade him not let him go for nothing. Landy isn't going anywhere and markar isn't going to get that high kind of salary not with a flat cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad