Expansion Draft Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Is there anyway we could be playing the long game with this? It’s been said multiple times that our cap space is out best asset and it’s going to be a flat cap world for the foreseeable feature. I guess I don’t really know what I’m trying to ask or say but maybe we’re looking at this short sighted when we could still load up on picks and what not in the coming years using our best asset and that being cap space.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Just read through Vegas' expansion thread from four years ago, and here are some quotes for all of you folks feeling like the end of the world is near after watching the draft unfold....

"Man that's ugly. Most thought they were going to start with a pretty solid blue line. Not so much.... "

"need these trades cause it really feels like they're going for a fair number of suboptimal guys. "

(in response to the picks being leaked) "I'd like to take a leak on some of these choices... woof."

"Bummer. "

"Kind of disappointed... Knights had a chance with the weak Pacific to be really competitive and reach playoffs this season but these choices kind of kill that."

"Quote"does this team even reach the cap floor? "- "The better question is how many wins can that team even get? "

"Ugh. "

"Same for me. I'm disappointed. "

(On tanking) "I think this is the right play if the end goal is to win the Cup as soon as possible. You need elite players to be a Cup contender. Pretty much all Cup winners draft their elite players. You may get lucky a time or two with a guy in Round 2-7, but most elite players get drafted top 5/10. "

"They'll be a bottom half of the league team for sure, but maybe more towards the middle of the pack than the bottom. A lot of it will come down to how these guys gel in the locker room, how well Turk runs them, and to what extent they get return from the prospects they bring in from trade. "

"Wooooooof."

Any of it sound familiar? :laugh:

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Its my assumption too, with more playing times these two will have more success.
Wow there...McCann,Gourde,Donskoi,Eberle and Jarnkrok will provide the most goals! Besides that I think there are forwards heading Seattle's way either through UFA or side deals or both

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Is there anyway we could be playing the long game with this? It’s been said multiple times that our cap space is out best asset and it’s going to be a flat cap world for the foreseeable feature. I guess I don’t really know what I’m trying to ask or say but maybe we’re looking at this short sighted when we could still load up on picks and what not in the coming years using our best asset and that being cap space.

I think GM's work with different "horizons". For example, Wild who will try to be competitive for two more seasons, then rebuild thru the "dead cap" years (2) and then go for it again etc. I guess for the Kraken, players development, draft and trades through 2021-22 might decide what you chose to do.

Is this a team to build on? The start will be extremely important. Maybe players are selected who will come out storming through the gates.

But with such a strong defense you have right now, maybe you only have to add a superdraftee and trade for best player possible at the deadline and thus be competitive right away (2022 playoffs).

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Seattle will be fine.
We haven't seen what the side deals are yet, we haven't seen what happens at the draft and we haven't seen all the UFAs sign.
Alot can still happen that puts together a playoff team.

At best they will get some really good players in side deals with retention as well as picks from other teams that get utilized in a trade for top6 forwards.
Possibly someone like Reinhart to be the 1C and sign Landeskog and Hamilton(trade some of the extra Dmen leftover).

At worst they'll still be able to acquire a ton of picks in this year's or next years draft if teams retain on bad contracts and attach big assets like multiple 1sts and prospects.
Next years draft class is massively loaded with talent especially the top3 that already are known to be Wright/Lambert/Savoie.

In either case I want see Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney and Melvims music playing at Seattle home games when the Ducks come to visit because that'll be fun 90s Seattle vibes.

Reactions: MindRiot

Jdodd

Jun 24, 2017
So do we know if they did or didn’t have side deals with philly, Carolina, Chicago, Columbus, etc….with the players they chose from said teams?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

This makes sense - I was kinda wondering why they didn't announce trades last night. That's the one thing that added to the Vegas announcements back in '17.

I do like the choices. I do think there are some trades that would explain some of them.

Hopefully a lot more will be made clear today.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
The immediate success Vegas had changed things. The fact that Seattle is state income tax free also helps.

A lot of FA's will have a better idea with how the team is looking like before they sign. That being said, we have already signed 2 FA's in Larsson and Oleksiak. Sure they are not the cream-of-the-crop as far as FA's go but it has already shown that FA's will sign here.
I really like the Larsson signing.. outside that, every other decision RF made has been underwhelming.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I am quite happy with the way the draft is going down.

Smart strategy by Francis.

Now he has some young guys that can hopefully develop for the future and be cheaper contributors, plus he still has cap flexibility and can really take advantage of cap-strapped teams.

Their desperation is only going to increase and *If* Francis wants to, he will be able to pick up some top 6 talent that is reportedly available plus something extra, which he would not have received had he just taken expensive contracts through expansion.

While in theory, yes i agree with what you are saying.. but the fact that RF coulnt make such "deals" for so-called expensive players during the ED, what makes you think he's going to swing these glorious deals after the entry draft? He still needs Assets to make trades, but it is obvious no other GM likes what he is pushing:
You give me overpaid player, you give me a 1a prospect, you give me a 1st rounder, and ill give you a 7th.. whos going to take that?

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Looking at the Kraken selections they did what they should have done. With what was available they built out the team from the blue line.
With the D selections the team will play a heavy game for sure and it's typical Francis. There were better offensive players available, yet most aging with bad contracts. Everyone that looked at the Kraken expansion predicted they would have a start with a solid D and less on O. With cap money and future trades, Francis and company will fill the holes. Unlike Vegas, remember there isn't the vast knowledge of 2021 draft prospects play due to the virus and this could have played a part as well. It's the first step and there will be many additions and subtractions to these initial selections. There still are plenty of teams with cap issues and the draft is approaching. First step through the expansion draft , the Kraken did very well.

Reactions: The Marquis

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Looking at the Kraken selections they did what they should have done. With what was available they built out the team from the blue line.
With the D selections the team will play a heavy game for sure and it's typical Francis. There were better offensive players available, yet most aging with bad contracts. Everyone that looked at the Kraken expansion predicted they would have a start with a solid D and less on O. With cap money and future trades, Francis and company will fill the holes. Unlike Vegas, remember there isn't the vast knowledge of 2021 draft prospects play due to the virus and this could have played a part as well. It's the first step and there will be many additions and subtractions to these initial selections. There still are plenty of teams with cap issues and the draft is approaching. First step through the expansion draft , the Kraken did very well.
I would have gone with more youngsters and not so heavy on the veteran side! That will come and bite Seattle in the ass in a few years time when 5-6 suddenly become garbage! Hope the Kraken sign some big time UFA's to play top 3 forward because that was lacking in spades...I'm thinking giving Landeskog whatever the hell he wants and Danault would be a welcome addition too. Also wondering what sort of signing will come from the SHL and KHL or SM-Liiga? Anyone that can score goals should be brought over now!!! Does Arizona still have rights to Jens Looke?And there must be some Russian forwards that can crack the Kraken line up,Finns too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad