Expansion Draft Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Does anyone remember how the Vegas side-deals/picks were announced? Was it done after all the teams picks were announced or was it done as a specific teams pick was announced?

They got announced in between their picks, if I remember correctly.
Though, the video's still on youtube if you want to check it out.

Let's just wait and see what happens.

MindRiot

Jul 9, 2021
Another reason to dislike the Eberle pick - dude's got a modified NTC. :thumbd: Can't wait to see what the side deal is, if there is one.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Does anyone remember how the Vegas side-deals/picks were announced? Was it done after all the teams picks were announced or was it done as a specific teams pick was announced?
They did it during the NHL awards.
The meh picks went first, then tried to save the bigger announcements for last. Trades were announced after the picks and the focus was more on the players.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi everyone,

Very exciting day for you, Krakmas?

Not a real word I know, but I think the English language should be prepared for many new words with respect to your Franchise. I like many of your Picks and am interested to see how the Trades will shake out at tonight’s Show.

All the best & enjoy the evening.

Some memes for you folks as you pass the time…

15A52E62-2A9D-4029-B79C-4AF15DD538A0.jpeg

DF349EE7-EDB9-4EDE-B50A-18EC57430B31.jpeg

4F619BF3-3D3A-4951-B3F3-FF6CE6AEAF45.jpeg

45F5A541-818D-4C00-A3D2-A4125D36BF44.jpeg

CA691DE5-F87A-4F68-A080-9CEB51C24943.jpeg

C8D3CADE-705E-4839-8A95-D608EEB0D556.jpeg

D76755DC-463C-4677-B802-6B9D49EB46C3.jpeg

4C485DB4-1F47-4E2F-8E5E-22AF64B66E4F.jpeg

C00F776D-E71B-45B8-A46C-3A6334B62E11.jpeg

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Currently projected D-men:

Gio
Soucy
Fleury, H
Lauzon
Oleksiak
Dunn
Larsson
MacDermaid

Bayreuther
Fleury, C
Borgen

I am guessing the bottom-3 are AHL players or get 2-way contracts. Out of the 8 D-men above, I am guessing we move 1-2. Specially if we end up getting Hamilton. Our D and depth is going to be solid with or without Hamilton.

Borgen has to clear waivers. If he doesn’t make the team they waive him right back to Buffalo

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
You're absolutely right.

Speaking of side deals.
That pick from the Kings looks strange to me, with what else was available.
I've also heard they were interested in Eberle, who's supposed to be our pick.

Is that a oincidence?
That is what I assumed when is saw those two picks. LA gave up something decent to keep Francis away from selecting Kale Clague, and also picked up Eberle (maybe with some retention) for the return. Return shouldn't be less than a second.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Is this the first time in an expansion draft that two brothers were picked? I think it is! Fleury brothers make history!

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Use it on what? Who's going to want to go to an expansion team that's being built for fighting against DET, BUFF, and OTT?
This^

While I agree having Cap space is a powerful tool, there are only x amount of players that can contribute to any team. NHL is already an extremely even league with a hard cap.

What does GMRF think he is going to do with $40M in Capspace? The players he left on the table would make my stomach churn if I were the owners. Hopefully they know nothing about Hockey to realize.

Yup. RF has figured out what every other team hasnt.. how to draft a develop good players. Then he can overpay when the time comes.. what an utter disappointment.

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
I don't see sidedeals happening much. We've just had four years of teams smacking their head and saying "turns out losing a player and high draft picks or losing multiple players is worse than losing one player!"

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't see sidedeals happening much. We've just had four years of teams smacking their head and saying "turns out losing a player and high draft picks or losing multiple players is worse than losing one player!"

... there are always going to be side deals

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Something has to be coming from Arizona that kept Francis from taking Christian Fischer and instead picking up Tyler Pitlick.

Reactions: derriko

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
This^

While I agree having Cap space is a powerful tool, there are only x amount of players that can contribute to any team. NHL is already an extremely even league with a hard cap.

What does GMRF think he is going to do with $40M in Capspace? The players he left on the table would make my stomach churn if I were the owners. Hopefully they know nothing about Hockey to realize.

Yup. RF has figured out what every other team hasnt.. how to draft a develop good players. Then he can overpay when the time comes.. what an utter disappointment.
I am quite happy with the way the draft is going down.

Smart strategy by Francis.

Now he has some young guys that can hopefully develop for the future and be cheaper contributors, plus he still has cap flexibility and can really take advantage of cap-strapped teams.

Their desperation is only going to increase and *If* Francis wants to, he will be able to pick up some top 6 talent that is reportedly available plus something extra, which he would not have received had he just taken expensive contracts through expansion.

Reactions: themilosh

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I hope there is a side deal, because I think Bailey would've made way more sense for me.

All 30 selections can't be winners, but there are waaaay more hits than misses, IMO.

What's up Kraken fans???

Nice to meet you. I am an Islanders fan, but....Also a Seahawks fan. Needless to say the Kraken will be my 2nd favorite team. Psyched for you guys (although not a fan of Francis/Hakstol)

Let me tell you that from my perspective there is no question that Lamoriello and Francis made a deal for the Kraken to take Eberle...And they made it BEFORE expansion lists were due.

There's zero reason for the Kraken to take Eberle over Bailey, and there's no way Lou would've left Bailey exposed if he didn't know who the Kraken were going to take.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This^

The immediate success Vegas had changed things. The fact that Seattle is state income tax free also helps.

A lot of FA's will have a better idea with how the team is looking like before they sign. That being said, we have already signed 2 FA's in Larsson and Oleksiak. Sure they are not the cream-of-the-crop as far as FA's go but it has already shown that FA's will sign here.

Reactions: themilosh

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Gotta think that Stecher is the pick from Detroit?

With all the cap space we have, I'm very curious to see who our targets in free agency are. My dream scenario is using some of the assets picked up in these side deals, as well as potentially the 2nd overall pick, to land Jack Eichel.
No Jack for certain! Why saddle the franchise off the hop with a malcontent! Seattle will build through the draft unlike Vegas who appeared to build through the draft only to discard picks like yesterdays news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad