Expansion Draft Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Stetcher would fit, especially since many of the others are big players. There is room for a smaller puck mover like him.
The pick was D Cholowski D-man... I choose him and I was 11 for 30 on this front. Couldn't predict the side deals though I knew there would be a splash of them

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
No Jack for certain! Why saddle the franchise off the hop with a malcontent! Seattle will build through the draft unlike Vegas who appeared to build through the draft only to discard picks like yesterdays news

Ridiculous thing to say without any actual inside knowledge. Can we please not cavalierly attack player's character and keep the criticisms to on the ice play or proven off ice issues? Jeez.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Meh. Not great AAV there for what Oleksiak brings.

With the covid cap crunch and going rate of mid-level signings. He probably should be getting around 3, but I knew it would be higher given the lack of quality D in this years UFA pool.

I honestly thought someone was going to give him 5, (the main reason I did not have him on my board.)

Not a huge fan of this deal, TBH, but it ultimately is 1-1.5 too much, so not crippling.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Ridiculous thing to say without any actual inside knowledge. Can we please not cavalierly attack player's character and keep the criticisms to on the ice play or proven off ice issues? Jeez.
You can't say Jack Eichel is a team player and had he been he would have put up more goals besides the pathetic 2 he scored they might not have been in the situation they found themselves in yet again. When a player cries about how the franchise is run and doesn't put up the numbers he should,maybe what he should have done was shut up...he's no Gretzky,Messier or even McDavid, he's just a loud mouthed schnook!!!

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

With the covid cap crunch and going rate of mid-level signings. He probably should be getting around 3, but I knew it would be higher given the lack of quality D in this years UFA pool.

I honestly thought someone was going to give him 5, (the main reason I did not have him on my board.)

Not a huge fan of this deal, TBH, but it ultimately is 1-1.5 too much, so not crippling.

Probably a little higher to get him to sign this early. It is a little high but I am ok with it.

Reactions: Irie

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
You can't say Jack Eichel is a team player and had he been he would have put up more goals besides the pathetic 2 he scored they might not have been in the situation they found themselves in yet again. When a player cries about how the franchise is run and doesn't put up the numbers he should,maybe what he should have done was shut up...he's no Gretzky,Messier or even McDavid, he's just a loud mouthed schnook!!!

tenor.gif

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Dude, he has a herniated disc in his neck. The whole trade demand rumor is based on the Sabres denying his request to have surgery.

Sabres are still asking a lot for a player with a major injury, and I'm not sure they'll get anything close to what they're asking.

But I don't think you've been paying any attention to the news, just took a quick look at stats.

Reactions: StarterHart

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

That's a huge over payment on a fringe NHL player in Oleksiak and he's what 30 years old

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Eichel played all season with an abdominal injury, and then sustained cracked ribs, and later a herniated disc in his neck, and he kept playing through all that until the team shut him down.... and he still managed to put up 18 points in 21 games.

The kid is a competitor and battles every night, and he is a phenomenal talent.

The complaining about how the doctors were handling his injury is the frustration of a 24 year old kid boiling over. He really isn't a malcontent.

That said, Seattle should not be targeting him. Even if he is healthy, his deal will probably be expiring right about when Seattle should be a cup contender if the build goes well, and the assets to acquire him would be organizationally crippling

Reactions: StarterHart

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
That's a huge over payment on a fringe NHL player in Oleksiak and he's what 30 years old
He's 28, and calling him a fringe NHLer is just trolling. He plays top 4 minutes for the stars and did so during their cup run.

I understand the negativity around the length and AAV, but let's not diminish what he brings because of his contract.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
29 years old, I think, and yes, that is a huge overpayment for this guy. He was remarkably unremarkable in Pittsburgh, until Tom Wilson beat his ass and the Pens sent him back to Dallas. Maybe Ronnie calculated this contract based on height? Ridiculous, unnecessary misstep here.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
So false though - of course the “ majority “ won’t be taken but I bet 5 or 6 of them are - a core to build around and then trade, they can be good and then recoup assets at the deadline a year or 2 from now. There are enough good cheap options to take a bunch of higher salary players on a few year contracts to balance out. Plus, who knows what other assets they’re going to get to take those players to get salary off of other teams caps. And the division sucks that they’re in, so they could actually be the second or third seed they’re honestly. I’m not sure where this whole they’re going to take a crap team and build for the future ideas coming from… No one has said that anywhere. They said they can spend to the cap, And that is per Francis himself. If they want free agents, they may just sign them now during the draft so they guarantee that they get them. They don’t need more players… They’re already going to have too many

“So false though…”

How did this age for you?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Gourde-Jarnkrok-Donskoi
Tanev-McCann-Eberle
Quenneville-Geekie-Appleton
Blackwell-Bastian-Lind

Dunn-Giordano
Cholowski-Larsson
Soucy-Oleksiak
Fleury

Driedger
Vanecek

So far.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Side deals so far nowhere in evidence. They better show up or we are going to be the hockey equivalent of the '62 New York Mets. Hope springs eternal, though.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The pick was D Cholowski D-man... I choose him and I was 11 for 30 on this front. Couldn't predict the side deals though I knew there would be a splash of them
Waiver fodder. I've met 11 yr old girls that are tougher.

Scared to make any contact, leaves too much space, slow to make decisions defending, not great with puck decisions either. Decent skater, though not really fast, just above average speed.

Could be an NHLer if his testicles descend, otherwise he'll wind up in Europe. Red Wings screwed up his development by not keeping him in the AHL until he was ready.

Reactions: andys
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad