Expansion Draft Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
Yup they are free to take Henrique if they want him.
Jacob Larsson is one of the worst defensemen to ever play for the Ducks, they could have him for free even if they pick someone else.
Ducks fan here, can confirm about Larsson. If Seattle takes a young D I’d think it would be Mahura. GMBM loves him some Max Jones, but I also suspect he’ll have people in his ear saying to protect Steel over him due to his higher upside —especially if they move him to wing and let him focus on creating offense. Jones isn’t anything spectacular. He’s all motor no rudder BUT he’s one of those “character” guys (hence Murray’s favor) so unless Seattle values those *intangibles* over underlying numbers & ceiling, I don’t see him being the pick if exposed. Then again I’m no pro scout so I could he completely wrong!!

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
They may actually sign Hamilton if they can offer the full 8 years.
Would they want to sign Hamilton through 'til he's 35? That would lower the cap hit for sure but do you want him around that long - especially if he develops injury issues?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Would they want to sign Hamilton through 'til he's 35? That would lower the cap hit for sure but do you want him around that long - especially if he develops injury issues?

Having the option to doesn't mean team would make such an offer.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Great work on this thread. For the Pens I think Zucker is exposed and McCann is protected. There's also a chance Matheson is protected over Petterson but that contract is so iffy that he probably doesn't need protected.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Interesting quote from Jarmo Kekalainen, the GM of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

I’ve already talked to several of the general managers in the league that have protection problems in the expansion draft, and they’re eyeing those picks like–they’re very hungry for our first-round picks I can tell you that.

Seems like some teams are targeting the Blue Jackets picks and that might be because of the expansion draft.

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
I thought we already knew about the 8 year thing. That gives us a leg up on signing Saad and Danault, which is who I'd go after hard. Not interested in Hamilton personally. We'll have a great set of defenseman we can draft I think, and they should be good value for contract. I'd rather spend UFA money on top 6 forwards.

Reactions: andys

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I thought we already knew about the 8 year thing. That gives us a leg up on signing Saad and Danault, which is who I'd go after hard. Not interested in Hamilton personally. We'll have a great set of defenseman we can draft I think, and they should be good value for contract. I'd rather spend UFA money on top 6 forwards.

this is the first i heard of it and it wasn't there during vegas' draft. I wouldn't sign saad during our 2 day exclusive window with out seeing what colorado will actually expose. Any UFA's signed during our 2 day window becomes our pick from the team.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
this is the first i heard of it and it wasn't there during vegas' draft. I wouldn't sign saad during our 2 day exclusive window with out seeing what colorado will actually expose. Any UFA's signed during our 2 day window becomes our pick from the team.

1. Vegas had the same options. They signed Haula and Engellend. They could have signed a player to an 8 year deal.

2. Seattle will know who Colorado exposed because the 4 day exclusive window doesn’t start until all teams have submitted thier protection lists.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Teams must expose their protected/unprotected lists on July 17th 2021.
Like stated in Lebruns article, we both linked, the negotiation window for Seattle will be between July 18th 2021 10:00 a.m. ET - July 21st 10:00 a.m.

So we would clearly know who would be unprotected because that signing window only allows for us to sign UFA's/RFA's left unprotected by those other 30 teams.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

That's probably what Hamilton's camp is looking for though.

1. Vegas had the same options. They signed Haula and Engellend. They could have signed a player to an 8 year deal.

2. Seattle will know who Colorado exposed because the 4 day exclusive window doesn’t start until all teams have submitted thier protection lists.

They drafted Haula as an RFA.
Don't recall anything about them having an 8 year option on UFAs.

Interesting quote from Jarmo Kekalainen, the GM of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Seems like some teams are targeting the Blue Jackets picks and that might be because of the expansion draft.

Going by their protection list, it's most likely a dman that they're considering adding.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hanifin & Dunn were some of the players offered to Columbus.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Na expansion teams being able to sign players for 8 years is a new thing that was added during the last CBA dicussions. it wasn't possible during vegas' draft week.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In the past Hamilton's agency has played a lot of hard-ball with teams he has tried to sign with. I am curious how much he expects to get as AAV on a 8 year contract.
I'm not sure how true this is, his negotiations with Calgary were done in days after the trade, his only tough negotiation was with Boston who has a history of trying to nickel and dime younger players.

Piffle

Oct 31, 2007
Na expansion teams being able to sign players for 8 years is a new thing that was added during the last CBA dicussions. it wasn't possible during vegas' draft week.

I can't find any documentation of that, do you have any? It seems like if Vegas had drafted a UFA, that player is now theirs and the player is still under contract (now to Vegas), so they can sign them for 8. It is their player.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I can't find any documentation of that, do you have any? It seems like if Vegas had drafted a UFA, that player is now theirs and the player is still under contract (now to Vegas), so they can sign them for 8. It is their player.
If I'm reading the process right if you want to choose a UFA you actually have to negotiate a new contract during the window provided by the league. So Seattle would receive the list of available players from the league, choose the free agents they want to sign, negotiate with those players, sign who they can and add those names to the list of choices they submit to the league.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
If I'm reading the process right if you want to choose a UFA you actually have to negotiate a new contract during the window provided by the league. So Seattle would receive the list of available players from the league, choose the free agents they want to sign, negotiate with those players, sign who they can and add those names to the list of choices they submit to the league.
Man Seattle is gonna have a busy week eh?

To be honest I wouldn't think there's any player available that wouldn't be a HUGE risk to sign for 8 years.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Man Seattle is gonna have a busy week eh?

To be honest I wouldn't think there's any player available that wouldn't be a HUGE risk to sign for 8 years.
I agree. What they will probably do is target the likeliest free agents to sign (I still think Nugent-Hopkins would be a good candidate if the Oilers leave him off their protected list - due to the fact that he's a pending UFA). Ovie is a pending free agent but he may not want to go to Seattle.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I agree. What they will probably do is target the likeliest free agents to sign (I still think Nugent-Hopkins would be a good candidate if the Oilers leave him off their protected list - due to the fact that he's a pending UFA). Ovie is a pending free agent but he may not want to go to Seattle.

Ovie is capitals or back to russia.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Seattle can still pick a UFA but if they don't want the guy to walk and sign where else they would have to sign him during their 2 day exclusive window.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

it was just reported the other day. During vegas' expansion draft week Vegas could only offer a 7 year max. With Seattle's expansion draft there was a change to where Seattle can offer 8 years max contract. This has nothing to do with what vegas has NOW. It was only during the expansion draft week.

The rule was only current clubs can give 8y max every other team including expansion teams during their expansion draft week can only offer 7. The NHLPA Neogiated in the CBA that players won't lose status cause they got traded or drafted to Seattle during the expansion draft week. So now Seattle can offer to UFAs or players they claim/acquire what the current club can offer for their pending UFAs. While the other remaining teams can still only offer 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad