Expansion Draft Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Why though? A healthy Klefbom at 4M is a bargain.

I think his health problems are playing a big role in that as well.

I've read somewhere that even Klefbom doesn't know when and how he'll be able to play again.

@McDoused
Would you be willing to part with your first round pick if we took Koskinen or Neal off your books?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think his health problems are playing a big role in that as well.

I've read somewhere that even Klefbom doesn't know when and how he'll be able to play again.

@McDoused
Would you be willing to part with your first round pick if we took Koskinen or Neal off your books?
Yep. That is the reason why I am very hesitant. Wouldn't be a risk if he was making half of what he does and/or was on a 1 year contract but 4M x 2 without even knowing if he can play seems pointless. Now, if Edmonton gives us conditional picks (based on games played with the Kraken) I would consider taking him in the expansion but if not, I will look at other options at D.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Yep. That is the reason why I am very hesitant. Wouldn't be a risk if he was making half of what he does and/or was on a 1 year contract but 4M x 2 without even knowing if he can play seems pointless. Now, if Edmonton gives us conditional picks (based on games played with the Kraken) I would consider taking him in the expansion but if not, I will look at other options at D.

I'd ask for a pick, and draft him anyway even if they didn't offer one. The potential rewards outweigh the risks of his 2 year contract.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'd ask for a pick, and draft him anyway even if they didn't offer one. The potential rewards outweigh the risks of his 2 year contract.

If I knew he was going to play, sure. If not, that extra 4.7M x 2 of cap space could potentially get us a 1st round pick from some other teams in the league. I don't want to overrate that cap space but the flat cap has made things different.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If I knew he was going to play, sure. If not, that extra 4.7M x 2 of cap space could potentially get us a 1st round pick from some other teams in the league. I don't want to overrate that cap space but the flat cap has made things different.

I would agree if it were 3+ years left on that contract, but 77ish mil is plenty of cap to work with over the next 2 years. A healthy Klefbom in 2022-23 at 4.2m would be a huge add.

Much better than some of these 6m+ cap dump proposals I've seen.

Good luck!

Although I'm not sure you'll need it - it's not like the old days when teams could protect 14 skaters and 2 goalies.

They had to change the rules because under the 90s CBA, teams would sign a guy to whatever until he was 31 or older. Expansion teams had a choice of at least a few 3rd/4th liners with 2-3 years left on their contract.

Under current CBA/cap rules, players can go UFA at 27 or earlier so there would be a high rate of player exodus at 27 for Seattle/Vegas due to the current contracts around the league. They had to let these teams pick some players younger than 26 (ie 1st and 2nd year players no longer exempt). In order to do this, they had to limit the number of protected players. NMCs, which didn't exist in the 90s, also posed a huge problem for expansion.

No matter what Bill Daly said about creating more competitive expansion teams, this is the real reason things were changed. There's really no ideal way with the current CBA & contracts to let teams protect all of their good players and have an expansion team that doesn't suck for years.

edit: it was 5D 9F 1G protected or 2G 3D 7F under the 98 draft. So even under the old rules, Theodore

Last edited:

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
He is exempt because of LTIR status (Same with Shaw)

This is simply untrue. LTIR does not exempt a player from the expansion draft.

It doesn't look like the Blackhawks will have much to offer. If I was the Penguins I would offer a low pick and maybe even a player for Seattle to take Seabrook and then trade him to the Pens. 6.875 of LTIR money would allow the Pens some nice breathing room for the cap and to maybe even add a player or two. The Pens won't do it but I wouldn't be surprised if Toronto or Tampa Bay do it.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Who does Seattle pick from this list of exposed players:
Max Jones, Alexander Volkov, Adam Henrique, Brendan Guhle, Jacob Larsson, Jakob Silfverberg, Josh Mahura, Sonny Milano, Derek Grant, Kevin Shattenkirk, Ryan Kesler (LTIRetired & NMC contract converts to NTC prior to expansion draft).

I like Volkov the most yet our GM would probably send a pick to not pick Jones.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Max Jones, Alexander Volkov, Adam Henrique, Brendan Guhle, Jacob Larsson, Jakob Silfverberg, Josh Mahura, Sonny Milano, Derek Grant, Kevin Shattenkirk, Ryan Kesler (LTIRetired & NMC contract converts to NTC prior to expansion draft).

I would bet they go after a younger player. So if it's not Max Jones be either Guhle,Mahura, Larsson, and maybe Volkov.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma

Would they protect Steel over Jones? Reading the Ducks forums, they seem to like Jones a lot. Might be a choice between Steel, Mahura and Volkov.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Would they protect Steel over Jones? Reading the Ducks forums, they seem to like Jones a lot. Might be a choice between Steel, Mahura and Volkov.
Alot of that is based on the GM saying nice things about Jones and fans are predicting the GM protects him based on that.

If GM Murray however properly looks at the situation that Steel has the most upside if he's moved to the wing away from center and allowed to play a skilled game and not coached into a grinder that would be best asset for Seattle and protecting Steel over Jones takes that away and a limited upside Jones who lacks a good hockey IQ won't cost much to prevent Seattle from picking a player of Jones caliber.

If they protect Jones over Steel it will cost alot more to make a team not pick Steel. I personally wouldn't trade anything to not pick Jones and wouldn't mind losing Jones and I bet Volkov is picked over Jones anyway given he's better and can play on the PK and younger.

Reactions: Puckrobber

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
LeBrun posted today that Kraken will be able to sign folks they acquire (via expansion draft) to 8 year deals.
8 year deals are reserved for elite core players. Seattle isn't getting any of those in the ED unless they take soon to be UFAs.

but, unless Seattle is expecting to compete early signing a big name UFA doesn't make sense as their best years would be the first 4 or 5 and if Seattle isn't competitive to start, they are not maximizing the best years of the player.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
8 year deals are reserved for elite core players. Seattle isn't getting any of those in the ED unless they take soon to be UFAs.

but, unless Seattle is expecting to compete early signing a big name UFA doesn't make sense as their best years would be the first 4 or 5 and if Seattle isn't competitive to start, they are not maximizing the best years of the player.

Agreed. Very very unlikely. The only way I can see something like that happen is if someone like Landeskog, who is a UFA and left exposed, is picked up by us in the expansion draft and actually agrees to sign with us.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
LeBrun posted today that Kraken will be able to sign folks they acquire (via expansion draft) to 8 year deals.

Yep, it's in his current article on the Athletic.

New expansion draft details

- UFA's taken by Seattle can sign for up to eight years
- exclusive negotiating window, with RFA's and UFA's left unprotected, between July 18th 10 a.m. ET until July 21st 10 a.m. EST
- if signed these players automatically become the Kraken's selection of their former teams

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

I wonder if it's some sort of Nugent-Hopkins rule where Seattle can sign that free agent forward is they can.

He may not be the grittiest guy in the world but if Seattle can sign him...

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

If Anaheim exposes Henrique then Seattle must take him right? Otherwise I would go for J Larsson or maybe M Jones

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If Anaheim exposes Henrique then Seattle must take him right? Otherwise I would go for J Larsson or maybe M Jones
Yup they are free to take Henrique if they want him.
Jacob Larsson is one of the worst defensemen to ever play for the Ducks, they could have him for free even if they pick someone else.

Reactions: wraparound

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Yep, it's in his current article on the Athletic.

New expansion draft details

- UFA's taken by Seattle can sign for up to eight years
- exclusive negotiating window, with RFA's and UFA's left unprotected, between July 18th 10 a.m. ET until July 21st 10 a.m. EST
- if signed these players automatically become the Kraken's selection of their former teams

Vegas had the same rules. They signed Haula and Engellend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad