Expansion Draft Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I hope they have sticker shock. They had more time to prepare this time, which was the Seattle's disadvantage. As such, Seattle is levelling the playing field by being more demanding. If true, this is great news. Get em Francis!
Bingo. It seems unfair to them with the flat cap throwing a wrench in a lot of their plans but I think they are still better of than teams were with Vegas.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
As someone that watches way more Sabres games than is healthy, I keep reading about Miller being the pick, and I can't fathom why. He's expensive, is a UFA next year, and frankly, he just is not very good. Sabres will be exposing two of Thomson, Asplund, Bjork, and Borgen. I see a lot more upside with any of the 4 over Miller, and I am not sure they don't even have more trade value if Francis wanted to flip one of them.

Otherwise, nice job on putting together the list. It's cool to see it with cap perspective. Thanks for all the effort.
If exposed I'd take Rasmus Asplund

Reactions: Irie and jbron

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Who are all the expected goalies to be taken by Seattle? I have Vanecek and Allen for sure, maybe Kivlenieks and a few other intriquing options if a contract can be signed in the 48 hour window. One that pops up as intriguing is from my Jets. It's likely Appleton and Stanley are on the board but judging by the list of players both are likely to be low down on the depth chart at RW and LD respectively. Neither are waivers exempt and it's more likely they are dealt for a pick before the season unless they somehow beat out a plethora of guys for a roster or depth spot. Mikhail Berdin is an interesting option from a Seattle perspective. 23 year old goalie who has shown some potential. Had two solid seasons on the Moose and started the year out in SKA in the KHL and had decent stats and then came back and had a bit of a rough year for the Moose. Most importantly though he is waivers exempt for the next 2 seasons. So the Kraken can stash him in the minors for the next 2 years until Allen's contract is up and develop him and hope he can come in and backup Vanecek in two years or whoever the top option will be by then.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Who are all the expected goalies to be taken by Seattle? I have Vanecek and Allen for sure, maybe Kivlenieks and a few other intriquing options if a contract can be signed in the 48 hour window. One that pops up as intriguing is from my Jets. It's likely Appleton and Stanley are on the board but judging by the list of players both are likely to be low down on the depth chart at RW and LD respectively. Neither are waivers exempt and it's more likely they are dealt for a pick before the season unless they somehow beat out a plethora of guys for a roster or depth spot. Mikhail Berdin is an interesting option from a Seattle perspective. 23 year old goalie who has shown some potential. Had two solid seasons on the Moose and started the year out in SKA in the KHL and had decent stats and then came back and had a bit of a rough year for the Moose. Most importantly though he is waivers exempt for the next 2 seasons. So the Kraken can stash him in the minors for the next 2 years until Allen's contract is up and develop him and hope he can come in and backup Vanecek in two years or whoever the top option will be by then.

No guarantees we'll take Vanecek. Washington could pay us to not take him as far as we know.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Who are all the expected goalies to be taken by Seattle? I have Vanecek and Allen for sure, maybe Kivlenieks and a few other intriquing options if a contract can be signed in the 48 hour window. .
Part of me still thinks the Caps protect Vanecek as their goalie. If they don't he's either a Seattle choice or protected by a massive side deal.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Part of me still thinks the Caps protect Vanecek as their goalie. If they don't he's either a Seattle choice or protected by a massive side deal.

You think they leave Samsonov unprotected? If so that's a no brainer pickup for Seattle. if I'm Seattle GM you have to give me something pretty damn nice to keep me away from either of Samsonov or Vanecek. Like really nice as both have starter potential and there aren't many available that do. They could also deal one of them away. Edmonton seems like a team that might be after a young potential starter like that. But if they opt for one of them then you have a shot at Skinner.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No guarantees we'll take Vanecek. Washington could pay us to not take him as far as we know.

I feel like the right play is just take him. Unless they are willing to vastly overpay. Allen is not a great starter IMO, having watched him in St. Louis for years against the Jets. As a backup though, good option. Maybe as a tandem but Vanecek screams starter potential and I don't think walking away from that is a good idea.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
You think they leave Samsonov unprotected? If so that's a no brainer pickup for Seattle. if I'm Seattle GM you have to give me something pretty damn nice to keep me away from either of Samsonov or Vanecek. Like really nice as both have starter potential and there aren't many available that do. They could also deal one of them away. Edmonton seems like a team that might be after a young potential starter like that. But if they opt for one of them then you have a shot at Skinner.
I agree. I think Washington is going to have to either make a big deal with Seattle or say goodbye to a starting goalie.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Hill from Arizona and Khudobin from Dallas could be in play as well. Also mentioned Allen and Vanecek.
Khudobin could be flipped in a trade as well.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hill from Arizona and Khudobin from Dallas could be in play as well. Also mentioned Allen and Vanecek.
Khudobin could be flipped in a trade as well.

Yeah Khudobin might have some more years left in him but he'll be 36 next year and eventually those wheels will fall off. If Pavelski is there he might be the better play. If not then Adam Masherin seems like a decent pickup. Hill isn't a bad option either. Though Fischer and Larsson are decent bottom 6 options as well.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I think the Pens are fascinating because they have so many options to take. Obviously they go 7/3 protect Crosby/Malkin/Guentzel/Kapanen/Rust and Letang/Dumolin, but everything else is up in the air.

IMO there is no universe where I protect Carter, he is 36 and has one year left before retiring. It doesn't matter what value he would have to an opening lineup if he will only have that value for one season. Any other Pens pick has the potential to be a great member of the Kraken for much longer. Of the guys I'm exposing, I have him as the 6th best choice for the Kraken.

I'd protect McCann and Bleuger. McCann can pinch in as a solid 2nd line center or winger in case of injuries (which we have a lot of), he is a great utility guy and probably has the most value in a vacuum based on age, performance, and cap hit. Bleuger is very underrated as a shutdown center and I think he is more valuable to this team than ZAR because of his position and his ability to also generate some offense while given diddly squat for offensive zone starts.

So you leave Zucker exposed because of his meh performance (not saying bad, just meh) and ZAR. Then you have Tanev exposed who while on a slightly expensive contract is a wrecking ball who can slot in anywhere in a lineup.

On Defense, some people want to protect Friedman but he has barely played in the NHL and isn't some highly touted prospect. I understand it's because both Matheson and Petterson's contracts act like expansion protection but they aren't TOTAL albatrosses. Petterson is bland and not very physical, but he is a quality stay at home 2nd pairing guy. Matheson might have a worse contract, but he brings a great offensive instinct and first pass to a blue line. I'd probably protect Matheson simply because I think he fits what the Pens want to do more than Petterson, as Hexturkle will probably want a beefier #2LD to complement the more offensive guy.

Then with goaltending, I could totally see us protecting CDS over Jarry. Better numbers, better cap hit. I think it's a good play to promote CDS to the #1B spot and give him 41 games next season, and use Jarry's money on a #1A guy. We do not have the assets or the cap to swing for the fences on Gibson or any other true #1. I hope we sign Ullmark.

So if you're the Kraken, and you can choose from ZAR, Tanev, Zucker, Petterson, and Jarry, each one is a fantastic choice. And to me, Carter is a level under all five of those guys since he will only be around for 1 year.

So who will the Kraken want? I can only speculate obviously, but I think either Jarry or ZAR. They could platoon with Allen/Jarry and I bet Jarry would look excellent there. ZAR has some of the best defensive metrics for a forward and only costs like 1 million. So if the Kraken want to weaponize cap space that's one player you pick instead of a better but more expensive guy like Zucker. But this is the fascinating thing with Pittsburgh, there are 5 quality pieces available to the Kraken IMO, and each one is the "right" pick depending on your strategy with the expansion draft.

Zucker - BPA but expensive
Petterson - solid #4 stay at home D but expensive
Tanev - tenacious and versatile forward but slightly overpaid
ZAR - best defensive forward and best for weaponizing cap space.
Jarry - young #1B goalie at a fair price
Carter - will only have one or two years left in the tank but he can play #2C in a pinch and is basically free cap/salary wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: brewski420

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think the Pens are fascinating because they have so many options to take. Obviously they go 7/3 protect Crosby/Malkin/Guentzel/Kapanen/Rust and Letang/Dumolin, but everything else is up in the air.

IMO there is no universe where I protect Carter, he is 36 and has one year left before retiring. It doesn't matter what value he would have to an opening lineup if he will only have that value for one season. Any other Pens pick has the potential to be a great member of the Kraken for much longer. Of the guys I'm exposing, I have him as the 6th best choice for the Kraken.

I'd protect McCann and Bleuger. McCann can pinch in as a solid 2nd line center or winger in case of injuries (which we have a lot of), he is a great utility guy and probably has the most value in a vacuum based on age, performance, and cap hit. Bleuger is very underrated as a shutdown center and I think he is more valuable to this team than ZAR because of his position and his ability to also generate some offense while given diddly squat for offensive zone starts. So you leave Zucker exposed because of his meh performance (not saying bad, just meh) and ZAR. Then you have Tanev exposed who while on a slightly expensive contract is a wrecking ball who can slot in anywhere in a lineup.

On Defense, some people want to protect Friedman but he has barely played in the NHL and isn't some highly touted prospect. I understand it's because both Matheson and Petterson's contracts act like expansion protection but they aren't TOTAL albatrosses. Petterson is bland and not very physical, but he is a quality stay at home 2nd pairing guy. Matheson might have a worse contract, but he brings a great offensive instinct and first pass to a blue line. I'd probably protect Matheson simply because I think he fits what the Pens want to do more than Petterson, as Hexturkle will probably want a beefier #2LD to complement the more offensive guy.

Then with goaltending, I could totally see us protecting CDS over Jarry. Better numbers, better cap hit. I think it's a good play to promote CDS to the #1B spot and give him 41 games next season, and use Jarry's money on a #1A guy. We do not have the assets or the cap to swing for the fences on Gibson or any other true #1. I hope we sign Ullmark.

So if you're the Kraken, and you can choose from ZAR, Tanev, Zucker, Petterson, and Jarry, each one is a fantastic choice. And to me, Carter is a level under all fivr of those guys since he will only be around for 1 year.

So who will the Kraken want? I can only speculate obviously, but I think either Jarry or ZAR. They could platoon with Allen/Jarry and I bet Jarry would look excellent there. ZAR has some of the best defensive metrics for a forward and only costs like 1 million. So if the Kraken want to weaponize cap space that's one player you pick instead of a better but more expensive guy like Zucker. But this is the fascinating thing with Pittsburgh, there are 5 quality pieces available to the Kraken IMO, and each one is the "right" pick depending on your strategy with the expansion draft.

A lot of people have mentioned ZAR as a good option but I would be fine going with Zucker. We do need to fill out the cap minimum and Zucker is a good choice because he would be a legit top-6 F for us. Only 2 more years left at 5.5M and unless he falls off a cliff this year or next, we could potentially flip him at the TDL for a really good return.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
As a Wild and a Kraken fan Ive never been a fan of Jason Zucker, Just not that big of his game. Dude has speed for days but other than that hes never really impressed me with what hes bringa to the table.
Reasons why or how hes never impressed me I cant really say, been watching hockey pretty much my entire life but have never played but just recently started taking a deep dive into in following prospects trying to be an armchair GM and such.

So dont hate on me too much for my vague opinion on him lol

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
As a Wild and a Kraken fan Ive never been a fan of Jason Zucker, Just not that big of his game. Dude has speed for days but other than that hes never really impressed me with what hes bringa to the table.
Reasons why or how hes never impressed me I cant really say, been watching hockey pretty much my entire life but have never played but just recently started taking a deep dive into in following prospects trying to be an armchair GM and such.

So dont hate on me too much for my vague opinion on him lol
Speed and a good defensive forward is how I have seen him. He is not going to be a PPG player but could be good for 50-60 points a season eating tough minutes and PK duties.

This team needs to fill its top-6 and also reach the cap floor with the expansion draft. Most teams are going 7-3-1 and will be able to protect their top-6 forwards. Zucker is not going to be a top-end top-6 forward but should fit in well-enough.

This team certainly needs to model around Vegas in the sense that you get enough speed and good defensive forwards in the top-6 and depend largely on fast transitions and counter attacks. Catch the team off-guard.

Reactions: MattyIce0401

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

I'd protect McCann and Bleuger. McCann can pinch in as a solid 2nd line center or winger in case of injuries (which we have a lot of), he is a great utility guy and probably has the most value in a vacuum based on age, performance, and cap hit. Bleuger is very underrated as a shutdown center and I think he is more valuable to this team than ZAR because of his position and his ability to also generate some offense while given diddly squat for offensive zone starts.

So you leave Zucker exposed because of his meh performance (not saying bad, just meh) and ZAR. Then you have Tanev exposed who while on a slightly expensive contract is a wrecking ball who can slot in anywhere in a lineup.

So if you're the Kraken, and you can choose from ZAR, Tanev, Zucker, Petterson, and Jarry, each one is a fantastic choice. And to me, Carter is a level under all five of those guys since he will only be around for 1 year.

Carter - will only have one or two years left in the tank but he can play #2C in a pinch and is basically free cap/salary wise.

As a Pens fan the one of these you list I would like to see stay in Pittsburgh is Tanev, just love his energy. As a Kraken fan I think taking Jarry might be a good gamble.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Out of that Pens list, I'd consider either Tanev or Petterson. I'm a Defensive guy when it comes to teams. Tanev would be a nice s***-disturber on the 3rd or 4th line. Contract is a little lengthy, but, every team needs a guy like him. As for Marcus, he's a nice, stay-at-home D-man. Nothing flashy, but, solid in his own end.

I'm not too high on Zucker. decent production, but, disappears too often. ZAR is alright. No to Jarry, unless he's a throw-in for something. I like him, but, better alternatives available.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
As a culture fit, Zucker would be a near perfect fit for the city of Seattle.

In terms of on ice— Zucker is a solid middle six forward with decent scoring touch and good on the def IQ. He is quite the conundrum though. Coming from the Wild with playing with centers like Koivu, Cullen, Granlund, you wouldve thought his productivity would explode when landing in PITT and had a chance to play with Sid and Geno. I haven't watch him much in PITT but it seems like he had better output with Wild centers. Hes a very north south player, decent speed but not as fast as he used to be, not the most accurate shot but a good knack for finding the puck around the paint.

IMO - Seattle should take Zucker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I was just thinking, with this season and last season shortened due to Covid, could the NHL prorate the exposure requirements? Because the difference between 40 games and an 82-game season and a 56-game season is pretty substantial. If prorated the exposure requirements could be as low as 27/53. This seems like something they would just inform teams and not make an announcement about because no one is going to lose someone that they want to keep over what amounts to a formality in signing another contract.

edit: never mind, it appears it was prorated to 27/54 per the CapFriendly expansion draft simulator. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Another Mock Expansion Draft

Some of his picks were totally out to lunch...Why would Seattle take Khudobin when Dickinson or Pavelski is made available? Seattle are going to have some teams up against the wall...they will get Foote from TBay unless...like I said before I'd be drafting some players whose rights are owned by NHL teams but played in Europe this past season...Dahlen,Borgstrom,Honka,Saarjarvi... so as not to carry 30 contracts and have the option of playing those said players there further

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad