Expansion Draft Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Does anyone think the Kraken would consider taking Jeff Carter from the Pens at age 36 in the ED? Others who may be exposed could be Blueger, Zucker, Pettersson, McCann or Matheson among others.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Does anyone think the Kraken would consider taking Jeff Carter from the Pens at age 36 in the ED? Others who may be exposed could be Blueger, Zucker, Pettersson, McCann or Matheson among others.

No, I don't think so.

If McCann would be exposed(Pens fans have stated quite often he'll be protected) than you grab him and run.
If not a guy like Blueger would be interesting as he's a center and showed more of a scoring touch this season.
Or maybe even a Zach Aston-Reese(he'll be an RFA and would need to be re-signed) who's a really good two way forward and could be part of a "checking line".

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
No, I don't think so.

If McCann would be exposed(Pens fans have stated quite often he'll be protected) than you grab him and run.
If not a guy like Blueger would be interesting as he's a center and showed more of a scoring touch this season.
Or maybe even a Zach Aston-Reese(he'll be an RFA and would need to be re-signed) who's a really good two way forward and could be part of a "checking line".

That is what I think as well. On the Pens board it was thought by some that Carter would be taken if exposed. As a Pens fan I would expose him to protect someone else while as a Kraken fan there are others besides him I would be interested in more.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Given its expansion relevance will pass along the news that the Devils just resigned RFA Nate Bastian for 2x$825k meaning he officially satisfies the "2 forwards" expansion draft criteria.

As a practical matter it guarantees the Devils can protect Miles Wood. It also sets a price for all of your mock expansion drafts that may include Bastian (to the consternation of Devils fans)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Given its expansion relevance will pass along the news that the Devils just resigned RFA Nate Bastian for 2x$825k meaning he officially satisfies the "2 forwards" expansion draft criteria.

As a practical matter it guarantees the Devils can protect Miles Wood. It also sets a price for all of your mock expansion drafts that may include Bastian (to the consternation of Devils fans)
The Flames still have to do this, or they will have to expose someone expected to be protected. heir options tore-sign are Derek Ryan, Josh Leivo, Dominik Simon, or Brett Ritchie. Or of course make a trade for someone.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
My sense is just about every RFA that needs to be signed for protection requirements will be. Figured it is useful for you guys to note teams that get their business done. Closer to the deadline any leftovers/holdouts become intriguing. RFAs of course have very very little leverage in the scheme of things - but this may be a rare opportunity for a couple.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
With the Sharks signing a 1 way contract with Johnathan Dahlen now, there is a good chance that they protect him. To me the likeliest forwards to be exposed are now going to be Gambrell and Donato. I would not mind taking a chance on Donato but being an RFA I am not sure if he will settle for under his current contract (expiring at 2.2M AAV). He is a much better player than Gambrell and was misused on the Sharks to a point. I feel like he can be good for 30 points on the Kraken if utilized properly.

Only reason to take Gambrell would be if you want the homecoming theme.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
Chances are extremely good that Rico will be exposed (if not traded prior) by Anaheim. His performance/captain-ing Team Canada to Gold at the Worlds certainly puts a shine on him… curious to see how GMRF & Co. view him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hey guys I did a little CF mockup after going through countless threads, articles and reddit posts.

Here's the team I came up with. This is baring zero trades from anyone mind you. I tried to stay within the rules as well, so no extra signings either and no side deals.

Krak2122.png

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Hey guys I did a little CF mockup after going through countless threads, articles and reddit posts.

Here's the team I came up with. This is baring zero trades from anyone mind you. I tried to stay within the rules as well, so no extra signings either and no side deals.

Krak2122.png
As someone that watches way more Sabres games than is healthy, I keep reading about Miller being the pick, and I can't fathom why. He's expensive, is a UFA next year, and frankly, he just is not very good. Sabres will be exposing two of Thomson, Asplund, Bjork, and Borgen. I see a lot more upside with any of the 4 over Miller, and I am not sure they don't even have more trade value if Francis wanted to flip one of them.

Otherwise, nice job on putting together the list. It's cool to see it with cap perspective. Thanks for all the effort.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
As someone that watches way more Sabres games than is healthy, I keep reading about Miller being the pick, and I can't fathom why. He's expensive, is a UFA next year, and frankly, he just is not very good. Sabres will be exposing two of Thomson, Asplund, Bjork, and Borgen. I see a lot more upside with any of the 4 over Miller, and I am not sure they don't even have more trade value if Francis wanted to flip one of them.

Otherwise, nice job on putting together the list. It's cool to see it with cap perspective. Thanks for all the effort.

He was great with Vegas. As an outsider it seems anyone who goes to Buffalo seems to struggle lately. It's kind of a career killer organization right now. Seattle won't have a tonne of RHD to pick from a Miller would make a nice #2 behind Dumba if he gets exposed.

Skjei - Dumba
Graves - Miller
Any of the young LHD - Dunn

Is a pretty solid top 6. No pure #1D but much like Vegas starting out just a bunch of solid guys with great depth.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I must be getting old - this is hard to read.

If you're on mobile just click on the picture should make it bigger. If you're on desktop just hold CTRL and press the + key to the left of your backspace key. Hold CTRL and press the - key to the left of that and it makes it smaller again.

Reactions: Mike Jones

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
He was great with Vegas. As an outsider it seems anyone who goes to Buffalo seems to struggle lately. It's kind of a career killer organization right now. Seattle won't have a tonne of RHD to pick from a Miller would make a nice #2 behind Dumba if he gets exposed.

Skjei - Dumba
Graves - Miller
Any of the young LHD - Dunn

Is a pretty solid top 6. No pure #1D but much like Vegas starting out just a bunch of solid guys with great depth.
I believe his numbers with Vegas are somewhat misleading, as Gallant heavily sheltered Miller that season. His D zone starts were bottom of all defensemen by more than 10 percentage points, and he was one of the only negative plus/minus players on that 109 point team, and the only regular defenseman with that particular distinction.

When the trade went down, many vegas fans posted in the sabres board how misleading his numbers looked, how bad he was defensively, and predicted he'd be a mess if he wasn't heavily sheltered. In Buffalo his actual play has been bad enough to be a healthy scratch quite often.

Most players that go to buffalo have worse stats, but they by in large, don't completely just play terrible. The team results have been terrible lately,(goaltending has been a huge part of that) but Scandella played alright. Jokiharju played better than he did in Chicago. Bogosian was alright, just could never stay healthy enough to stay in the lineup. And Brandon Montour was always played on the left side, which he was terrible at, but unfortunately for him, he was better than Miller was on the left side, so they wasted him and kept him there.(Botterill's fault for trading for 6 right hand defensemen) Even Hall played well to start the season, he was just snake bitten, and then somewhere around the 15 game mark, his confidence was gone and the wheels came off. Miller never really played well.

And to be honest, a Miller/Graves pairing looks like a goalies worst nightmare to me. A guy like Borgen who is younger and less experienced but cost-controlled and brings some physicality playing a more defensive role might make for a better balance in my opinion.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I believe his numbers with Vegas are somewhat misleading, as Gallant heavily sheltered Miller that season. His D zone starts were bottom of all defensemen by more than 10 percentage points, and he was one of the only negative plus/minus players on that 109 point team, and the only regular defenseman with that particular distinction.

When the trade went down, many vegas fans posted in the sabres board how misleading his numbers looked, how bad he was defensively, and predicted he'd be a mess if he wasn't heavily sheltered. In Buffalo his actual play has been bad enough to be a healthy scratch quite often.

Most players that go to buffalo have worse stats, but they by in large, don't completely just play terrible. The team results have been terrible lately,(goaltending has been a huge part of that) but Scandella played alright. Jokiharju played better than he did in Chicago. Bogosian was alright, just could never stay healthy enough to stay in the lineup. And Brandon Montour was always played on the left side, which he was terrible at, but unfortunately for him, he was better than Miller was on the left side, so they wasted him and kept him there.(Botterill's fault for trading for 6 right hand defensemen) Even Hall played well to start the season, he was just snake bitten, and then somewhere around the 15 game mark, his confidence was gone and the wheels came off. Miller never really played well.

And to be honest, a Miller/Graves pairing looks like a goalies worst nightmare to me. A guy like Borgen who is younger and less experienced but cost-controlled and brings some physicality playing a more defensive role might make for a better balance in my opinion.

I seriously doubt they take a 24 soon to be 25 year old by early next year who has proven absolutely nothing in the NHL yet. His numbers aren't even as good as Logan Stanley's in the AHL who has already proven more at the NHL level and is a year younger. Borgen seems like a bad pick to me. Miller is far more proven. Borgen would so really far down their depth chart. He likely wouldn't even play for them. Seattle likely won't have to worry much about the cap right away either unless they plan on taking a bunch of cap dumps for futures.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
If you're on mobile just click on the picture should make it bigger. If you're on desktop just hold CTRL and press the + key to the left of your backspace key. Hold CTRL and press the - key to the left of that and it makes it smaller again.
I use an old box wired into a wall so I'll try the CTRL thingy.

Reactions: QuizGuy66

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I seriously doubt they take a 24 soon to be 25 year old by early next year who has proven absolutely nothing in the NHL yet. His numbers aren't even as good as Logan Stanley's in the AHL who has already proven more at the NHL level and is a year younger. Borgen seems like a bad pick to me. Miller is far more proven. Borgen would so really far down their depth chart. He likely wouldn't even play for them. Seattle likely won't have to worry much about the cap right away either unless they plan on taking a bunch of cap dumps for futures.
Well you can't really look at numbers to judge Borgen, as he is a big defensive defenseman. He will never play on the powerplay, and he'll definitely never score 40 points in the NHL, but every team needs defensemen that can play well in their own end, kill penalties, and not get thrown around like a ragdoll while defending the crease or playing in the corners against the Tom Wilsons, Tkachuks or Evander Kanes of the league.

In my view, he holds more value than Miller, and I have seen several mock expansion drafts that have him as the pick, a couple are even in this thread, so the idea isn't totally far fetched. It is also almost certain that if the Sabres do trade Ristolainen before the expansion draft that they will protect Borgen over Miller.

But all things being equal from a Seattle perspective, I somewhat hope Adams will try to save face in the Hall trade and protect Bjork, thereby exposing Asplund or Thompson, as I think they have the most potential upside of the players potentially available from the Sabres.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Agree, hope the Kraken take Asplund or their best available D left unprotected. Not a big fan of Thompson aka the "Stork". In his case just can't see him filling out his frame at 6' 7" nor him ever being the player he was projected. 35 points in 145 NHL games isn't actually trending up.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Agree, hope the Kraken take Asplund or their best available D left unprotected. Not a big fan of Thompson aka the "Stork". In his case just can't see him filling out his frame at 6' 7" nor him ever being the player he was projected. 35 points in 145 NHL games isn't actually trending up.
He definitely still has a way to go and needs to work on his consistency, but Thompson played much better down the stretch once Donato took over, he scored some huge goals for Buffalo and then played pretty good at the world championships.

I firmly believe that *if* Adams protects Bjork, Asplund will be the odd man out. Thompson has been working hard and is starting to show results and i think at this point, they are trying to create an attitude as much as anything in Buffalo, and Thompson has been saying all the right things about wanting to be in Buffalo, which I believe Adams values as much if not more than anything else at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad