Speculation: Expansion Draft Talk - Important Dates in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wonder if the deal with Vegas is to just pick Fleury or if the rumored deal of Fleury, a contract with term (eg. Hagelin) and a pick to select the player the Pens want Vegas to select.

The last one's a rumour?

Since I don't view Hagelin as a cap dump, I'd be pretty displeased. And surprised.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
I wonder if the deal with Vegas is to just pick Fleury or if the rumored deal of Fleury, a contract with term (eg. Hagelin) and a pick to select the player the Pens want Vegas to select.

Hmmm, hadn't thought that we might use Fleury +++ to actually get a player we want out of the ED, I've just been worried about not losing anyone else that we need haha. I think that if we had any deal in place it's just been for McPhee to take Flower (whether just a promise from McPhee or we send him another player/pick). But maybe that could change today when Rutherford sees what other players are unprotected and maybe he adds like you said to steal someone else. I'm really excited to see those lists today!

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The lists today will be sort of interesting but remember alot of these teams will be swinging deals with McPhee to lay off certain exposed guys.

As for us, we ll have a good sense if MAF is the pre-arranged pick by the list submitted, i believe.

Im also kind of curious if JR dangles Hags out there this summer regardless of LV taking MAF 100% cuz it opens up a cheaper replacement for Hags to the roster + the ability to go after top FA s. (Oshie, Shattenkirk, etc.)

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I have no issues with trading Kuhn to ensure Fleury is selected by Vegas. I'm kind of surprised so many see much value in Kuhn.

Being able to get rid of Fleury without retaining salary seems too good to be true.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
No need to throw assets away when it looks to be a done deal.

My take? Vegas knew Pens wanted/needed to offload Fleury, and Vegas themselves really wants Fleury. So they know Fleury will be gone either before expansion draft or as early as trade deadline. They can't really trade for Fluery since they have nothing to trade with, expansion draft is their only choice.

So Mcphee goes to Rutherford and says that if they get Fleury to waive he will be their pick from Pittsburgh because they really want him.

Rutherford goes to Fluery with agent and gives them the Vegas proposal to which he agrees. Deal is sealed and a win-win.

What's in it for Vegas for not taking HF boards creative bribes? They get a player they want available that would otherwise not be available to them. Who's right? We'll just have to see but I feel calm as a whistle about it.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
If he gives up Flower and Hagelin for nothing, I would flip. Good news is that I don't believe that will happen.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I would imagine McPhee would value our players quite a bit since he specifically said that he wants to build LV like the Pens.

McPhee is in a really crazy spot because he can go so many creative avenues.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I would imagine McPhee would value our players quite a bit since he specifically said that he wants to build LV like the Pens.

McPhee is in a really crazy spot because he can go so many creative avenues.

just think of all the "if you pick ___________ we will trade you __________ for him." to go with the "if you don't pick _____ we will give you
_______." they are going to need a super computer just to keep things straight.

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
If he gives up Flower and Hagelin for nothing, I would flip. Good news is that I don't believe that will happen.

losing both for nothing would be a good thing, that means Fleury is taken by Vegas, thus eliminating anyone else from being taken (rust,cole,horny).

and you'd be hard pressed to find a team willing to give anything of value for hagelin, 4.25$ MIL to skate fast and PK. probably have to retain on his salary to get rid of him.

I'd give Hags away for free, then sign bones with the money or trade for a top4 dman with the cap space.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
losing both for nothing would be a good thing, that means Fleury is taken by Vegas, thus eliminating anyone else from being taken (rust,cole,horny).

and you'd be hard pressed to find a team willing to give anything of value for hagelin, 4.25$ MIL to skate fast and PK. probably have to retain on his salary to get rid of him.

I'd give Hags away for free, then sign bones with the money or trade for a top4 dman with the cap space.

I think you might be surprised what other teams would give for hags.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Imagine if his side was getting filmed by the NHL or something like they've done with other orgs (such as the Seguin trade call between Boston and Dallas).

Oh man, that would be tremendous television viewing! With Liev Schreiber's voice in the background, and the Vegas war room strategizing.

Damn, get the popcorn and kick your feet up. That would be awesome.

It would not be for nothing, though.

$9.75 million saved on the salary cap. Are you kidding me? That is HUGE.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think you might be surprised what other teams would give for hags.

I guess. I'm just basing it off of what i say this year, and it was not a 4 million dollar player. More of a 2.5 million dollar player. Easily replaceable. He does nothing with the puck, only asset is his speed and defense. Shot sucks, handle sucks, provides little in the Ozone. Only way he's scoring is off a rush.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Only Rangers fans view Hagelin like a demi-god.

He isn't an albatross contract, but he is our worst contract I don't think there is much question about that.

If I had to choose either Maatta or Hagelin (both 4m contracts), no doubt Id stick with Hagelin. We need D badly. Sign Schultz, and get another decent D using Hagelin's cap space

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Looks like DALs list was leaked.

Available to LV: Eakin, McKenzie, Oleksiak, or Hamhuis.

Bolded id have some interest in.
Obviously this is tricky cuz teams will still be dealing with McPhee to not pick certain guys that are exposed.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Looks like DALs list was leaked.

Available to LV: Eakin, McKenzie, Oleksiak, or Hamhuis.

Bolded id have some interest in.
Obviously this is tricky cuz teams will still be dealing with McPhee to not pick certain guys that are exposed.

Eakin is a former Cap. I wonder if McPhee takes him. Seems like a fit.

I like Oleksiak, one of those project types like Cole was before he came here.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
With Mike Smith headed to Calgary - surprised to see many people STILL thinking LV requiring a bribe for Fleury.

If that were the case, I really think GMJR would have shopped him around after his tremendous post season recovery - because getting something is better than losing for cap space + losing an additional asset.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It sounds like Dumba is being left exposed by Vegas. I'd definitely work out a deal with Vegas to trade for him, he'd be a fantastic guy to target for the bottom pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad