Speculation: Expansion Draft Talk - Important Dates in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
And honestly, even if Vegas for some reason takes Rust over Fleury (which doesn't make much sense to me), is Rust really someone that we can't replace internally? I'd really like to keep him and I don't want to lose him, but I think we could replace him semi-easily with Sprong or Wilson.

Sprong will likely end up better than Rust but Wilson isn't as good and won't ever be. Long-term it would be pretty ideal to have Rust AND Sprong around IMO.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't be too confident about that.

It's 100% happening.

Sprong will likely end up better than Rust but Wilson isn't as good and won't ever be. Long-term it would be pretty ideal to have Rust AND Sprong around IMO.

I don't think Wilson will ever end up as good as Rust, but I think Wilson would be a fine 3rd liner long term. Rust's going to be a really good 2nd/3rd line tweener, but I think Wilson would be a decent 3rd liner. I think the Penguins could survive without Rust easily, but with that being said, I don't want to lose him.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
That list points to MAF being a done deal.
No way you leave a guy like Rust unprotected.

So our protection list = 4F4D1G

Sid
G
Phil
Horny

Tanger
Dumo
Schultz
Maatta

One off on my prediction:

It is very valid to leave Rust unprotected when it's between him, Hornqvist or Maatta.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Protecting Horny over Rust makes no sense to me.

We need somebody to leak the deal between the pens and vegas so we can see what is going to happen.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

They definitely fill different roles even if they do play the same position.

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
some interesting players being exposed

Pickard from Colorado... thought the Avs were high on him but then again that franchise is just a mess right now

Also saw something saying Aberg was exempt from the Preds yet supposedly there has been a lot of talk that he was available all year

and the Islanders going 5 D and 3 forwards :laugh: :popcorn: rumour has it they are giving the Knights a first

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com

We need somebody to leak the deal between the pens and vegas so we can see what is going to happen.

I think it's as simple as this: McPhee wants Fleury more badly than he wants to screw over the Penguins. The simplest option is just to take him, which he's known since February that he will be able to do.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think it's as simple as this: McPhee wants Fleury more badly than he wants to screw over the Penguins. The simplest option is just to take him, which he's known since February that he will be able to do.

Everybody has known for months that MAF to Vegas was going to happen.

We just don't know what type of deal the pens and vegas made to insure that vegas would take MAF.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

We just don't know what type of deal the pens and vegas made to insure that vegas would take MAF.

I'm honestly not even sure the Penguins need to do this. I just don't see how taking Rust over Fleury would make sense after everything that has happened.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Maybe there didn't need to be a deal. Maybe Vegas just wants Fleury.

I think some of you just look for reasons to go into full yinzer panic mode. :laugh:

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
some interesting players being exposed

Pickard from Colorado... thought the Avs were high on him but then again that franchise is just a mess right now

Also saw something saying Aberg was exempt from the Preds yet supposedly there has been a lot of talk that he was available all year

and the Islanders going 5 D and 3 forwards :laugh: :popcorn: rumour has it they are giving the Knights a first

The Isles didn't just go 5D, they managed to go 5D and still leave De Haan available. :laugh:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Interesting thing about the pens list is that it doesn't give anything away in terms of how they value (internally) the younger guys up front. Throwing Rust on there instead of Horny would tip that hand a bit. Might be useful later on in negotiations. Both trade and contract/arbitration.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It is very valid to leave Rust unprotected when it's between him, Hornqvist or Maatta.

Meh, i beg to differ.
Rust is more important to me than Olli Maatta for sure.
And i have him protected vs Horny cuz hes right at that edge of being more important to the roster than Horny.
Rust pk ed and played more top 6 hockey these POs than Horny.
Horny doesnt pk and only works with Sid in our top 6.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
How? I do not get the argument for protecting Rust over Hornqvist.

Hornqvist is a legit top 6 winger, has what 7 straight seasons of 20+ goals and 40+ points. Plus 14 playoffs goals in last 2 years.

Rust at this point is a 3rd line winger, he is 25 already, has 20 goals in 112 NHL games. I get he has been clutch in the last 2 playoff runs, but he still has 1 less goal than Hornqvist over the 2 years.

To me even if Rust grows to his absolute max potential he probably only gets to the same kinda stats as Hornqvist is already getting. While Rust doesn't bring the same physical crash the net presence.

Unless the team has zero desire to sign Hornqvist past this coming year then I cannot see any argument for protecting Rust over Hornqvist (and even that argument would be a stretch).

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Interesting thing about the pens list is that it doesn't give anything away in terms of how they value (internally) the younger guys up front. Throwing Rust on there instead of Horny would tip that hand a bit. Might be useful later on in negotiations. Both trade and contract/arbitration.

Solid point.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Meh, i beg to differ.
Rust is more important to me than Olli Maatta for sure.
And i have him protected vs Horny cuz hes right at that edge of being more important to the roster than Horny.
Rust pk ed and played more top 6 hockey these POs than Horny.
Horny doesnt pk and only works with Sid in our top 6.

The only issue here is our severe lack of defensive depth if we lose Maatta.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm honestly not even sure the Penguins need to do this. I just don't see how taking Rust over Fleury would make sense after everything that has happened.

A deal already happened between Pgh and Vegas, that's why MAF to Vegas has already been in the cards for a long time.

We don't know yet if the pens had to give up any other assets to insure Vegas picks MAF.

Iron Tusk

Jun 15, 2017
Even if there is no deal, it would make no sense from LV's perspective to pick anyone but Fleury. Even if they want to go with Mrazek or someone else, Fleury is an excellent trading chip.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Rust > Maatta

Finding a 22 year old slow defensemen who can play hockey on a $4 million dollar contract is just so damn hard!

Finding a clutch winger with speed and passion is like picking oranges from a grove.

WTF 4-4?? Do not get it one bit.

Now Vegas could literally select Rust, then accept MAF (since Calgary and Dallas are out of contention) in a trade with Hagelin as the bribe, or Cole. Way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad