Speculation: Expansion draft planning from your team?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Side deals are made so that the good players are left alone and lesser players are picked instead. It actually helps the new team to pick the good players first and them build from there.
what I mean is that if after all our protection slots are used up, if there is a key player left exposed to the expansion draft, we will just trade them before Seattle can pick them.

Of course, the Oilers would rather not do that, and make a side deal with Seattle where they would get a really good value, but not a key player

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
what I mean is that if after all our protection slots are used up, if there is a key player left exposed to the expansion draft, we will just trade them before Seattle can pick them.

Of course, the Oilers would rather not do that, and make a side deal with Seattle where they would get a really good value, but not a key player
You can only trade so many player. How many teams out there have the space to accommodate other people's unprotected players?

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You can only trade so many player. How many teams out there have the space to accommodate other people's unprotected players?
If it's like last time, most teams will be safe from expansion, losing a good but replaceable middle six forward or #4/5 quality dman. There will be a handful of 3-5 vulnerable teams who will expose someone truly valuable. There should be that many teams out there who are not only safe, but are using a protection slot on 2nd tier prospect or depth player.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
With a NMC? Consider this... put yourself in his shoes. You negotiate the NMC and then open that up cause you want out after year 2/3 of 8. The team taking him on can decide to void the NMC and then Price looses it.

It's possible this happens but more probable it does not... not in the short term anyways. Habs would be dumb to trade him, retain salary for up to 6 years, and get a Roy type return cause GM's circle around like vultures looking to take advantage. Habs fans need to give their head a shake

I am not a habs fan FYI and I think the prices desire to win will make it easier to waive a NMC

Just my opinion but price must be tired of loosing and it’s not like the habs are set up to change the loosing ways anytime soon

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am not a habs fan FYI and I think the prices desire to win will make it easier to waive a NMC

Just my opinion but price must be tired of loosing and it’s not like the habs are set up to change the loosing ways anytime soon

Price negotiated the NMC so that works two ways. Habs gave it to him and he wanted it. So I do think he hangs on for a bit before he gets to your point where he is tried of losing. I think that point comes a bit later if we continue to have stall years where the kids don't mature fast enough or we sell on assets like Tatar and Petry for futures. Is there some degree of frustration with Price? For sure... but I think he is patient and will hang in for the ride for a bit yet. He is also raising his two young kids in Montreal too moving his family is easier said than done

Bergevin needs to carefully manage this situation. I didn't call you a Habs fans. It was more of a general comment made to the ones who think liquidating Price in a trade where we retain for 6 years, sell for cheap, and play the draft lottery is the best situation. Probably says we end up like the Sabres or Coyotes vs the Leafs or Avs.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
7-3-1 for Colorado and:

MacKinnon
Rantanen
Landeskog
Kadri
Burakovsky

2 of the following:
Compher/Nuke/Jost/Donskoi/new player

Makar
Girard
Graves

Grubauer or Francouz

Forward core would be more than likely Compher and Nuke right now. Despite the last few games I can't see Jost sticking around unless he REALLY keeps this going. I want Donskoi to be top 7 forwards on the team, but he hasn't been so far.

Gru and Frankie it could go either way at this point. As amazing as Frankie is playing now, Gru was playing just as amazing last season & the playoffs.

With the emergence of Graves and the potential rise of Byram/Timmins I think EJ is out of the picture. Zadorov may be left unprotected, but I honestly think he'll be safe.

My predictions:
  • Zadorov is traded prior to the expansion draft
  • Johnson keeps his NMC (not addressing the problems created by this just seems like an Avs thing to do)
  • We only keep one of Grubauer/Francouz in 2021-22 (tentatively guessing Francouz)
Option 1: 7F/3D/1G
MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Kadri, Burakovsky, Compher, Nichushkin
Johnson, Makar, Girard
Francouz

We'd risk losing Graves, Donskoi, Jost (probably Graves).

Option 2: 8S/1G
MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Kadri
Johnson, Makar, Girard, Graves
Francouz

This option would only be only be considered if we really wanted to keep Graves. But that would probably mean we lose Burakovsky. Compher and Nichuskin are also exposed in addition to Donskoi and Jost.

If Johnson's NMC is gone (he waives it or he's moved/bought-out), then we just swap him and Graves in Option 1 and we are in good shape. And if we acquire a new forward between now and the expansion draft, then one of Compher/Nichushkin is exposed, but that's a good problem to have.

Brent Salmon

Feb 24, 2019
My predictions:
  • Zadorov is traded prior to the expansion draft
  • Johnson keeps his NMC (not addressing the problems created by this just seems like an Avs thing to do)
  • We only keep one of Grubauer/Francouz in 2021-22 (tentatively guessing Francouz)
Option 1: 7F/3D/1G
MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Kadri, Burakovsky, Compher, Nichushkin
Johnson, Makar, Girard
Francouz

We'd risk losing Graves, Donskoi, Jost (probably Graves).

Option 2: 8S/1G
MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Kadri
Johnson, Makar, Girard, Graves
Francouz

This option would only be only be considered if we really wanted to keep Graves. But that would probably mean we lose Burakovsky. Compher and Nichuskin are also exposed in addition to Donskoi and Jost.

If Johnson's NMC is gone (he waives it or he's moved/bought-out), then we just swap him and Graves in Option 1 and we are in good shape. And if we acquire a new forward between now and the expansion draft, then one of Compher/Nichushkin is exposed, but that's a good problem to have.
Grubauer is ufa then

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Jim Benning learning that he has to prepare for a second expansion draft:

EBB1ABE3-AA9A-4BB7-8357-3DB6834026FF.jpeg

Reactions: Reaper45

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Seattle should just forget all the side deals and draft the best available player from each team. Shuffle and sort after submitting their 30 player list.

You need to make side deals so you can stock prospect shelves.

Teams will propose trades if they take or do t take players. Teams want to unload some high salaries and Seattle needs to make the cap float.

From 8 teams you draft high salaries and get picks/prospects
From 8 teams you just take the best players from a competitive POV
From 7 teams you take younger players under 35
Ftom 7 teams you pick them for getting stuff from the team for picking them but you also look at trading them to another team for other stuff.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I think there's a strong chance the Jackets have to decide on either Korpisalo or Merzlikins going forward
Korpisalo waited patiently for Bob to be gone to get his chance, he was an all star this year
Merzlikins isn't here to be a back up

Matiss Kivlenieks looks like he's ready to be an NHL backup goalie for CBJ

Merzlikins doesn't require protection, so I don't know that could play out regarding a move related to the expansion draft

JMO but I could easily see one of them being Seattle's starting goalie

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
NEW YORK RANGERS
ForwardsDefensemenGoalie
PanarinTroubaGeorgiev
ZibanejadDeAngelo
KreiderLindgren
Chytil
Lemieux
*TBD
*TBD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Plans can obviously change. I'm leaving the last 2 spot blank because right now there's a few different players who can be exposed or exempt.

Jasper Fast (UFA)
Paval Buchnevich
Brett Howden
Ryan Strome
Lias Andersson

Lemieux, Strome need new contracts. I'm not certain Buchnevich will still be on NYR when the expansion draft comes. Same with Howden and Lias. Fast is a UFA that we would like to re-sign depending on cost.

If Georgiev ends up traded, we'll have to get a goalie to expose.

Libor Hajek is the only other Defensemen we need to protect now that Skjei has been traded. I'm not sold on him jumping the other 3. DeAngelo does need a new contract through.
Howden and Andersson wont be eligible for the draft.

Howden will be coming off his ELC as will Andersson.

Buchnevich will definitely be protected and if Strome is re-signed so will he.

Our biggest risk is losing Hajek which seems most likely.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd assume Vancouver goes 7-3-1

Edler is UFA, as is Pearson, and Tanev, Stecher, Toffoli and Markstrom would have to be signed to cause any problems, really.

We'd protect Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Horvat and assuming they stay with us, Toffoli, Virtanen and Gaudette.

Then Edler, Tanev and one of Rafferty, Juolevi or Myers. There are a lot of maybes D, depending on contract status.

And who ever we like best of Markstrom and Demko. I'd assume one finds a new home

We're good.

We can even trade for a D if a team is worried of losing one of theirs.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Only 1st and 2nd year are exempt.

Reactions: Calad

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Players who fished their 3 yr ELCs are not exempt in the ED

Players who turned 20 before Jan 1 so they played in the AHZl but not in the NHzl count as a pro season in expansion draft so they have to be protected.

Thus is why Islander gave up a lot to vegas because he was was exposed

Players who started their ELC this season are exempt. Players who started their ELCs last year from the beginning are not except . for college signees in March who didn’t play enough in the nhl will be exempt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad