Speculation: Expansion draft planning from your team?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Trade deadline has passed so the next wave of moves will be draft/free agency and we will be less than 365 days from the Seattle draft. GMs will start to plan ahead especially the rebuilding teams who will make sure not to lose anyone good. Contending teams will still load up but will try not to expose too much quality...

So in your opinion what should your team do in the next year to plan for the Seattle draft? What moves will be done to better prepare? What players will you try by all means to protect?

Potential deals with Seattle like Vegas has done?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Canes will push Seattle to pick Nino or Gardiner by adding a pick or prospect.

Forwards
Aho, Turbo, Staal, Trocheck, Svech, Foegele, and Geekie? (could add a forward in UFA or trade this summer)

Defenders
Slavin, Pesce, Skjei

G
Ned?

UFA
Martinook, McGinn, Dzingle, Hamilton

Unprotected
Bean, Fleury?, Nino, Helvig, Gardiner (if still here)

Exempt
Necas

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs are likely using 7-3-1 and protecting:

Mackinnon
Rants
Landy
Kadri
Bura
Compher

Makar
Girard
Graves

Francouz

Exposed or traded EJ, Zadorov, Jost. The others will be UFAs and might not return.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Judging by how Poile handled the trade deadline, he doesn't seem to have any plans to retool the current core of the team so with that in mind, they will probably go 4/4/1 again.

Forsberg, Johansen, Duchene, Arvidsson
Josi, Ekholm, Ellis, Fabbro
Saros

Lots of players would be up for grabs including Turris, Sissons, Jarnkrok, Smith (if he re-signs), and Grimaldi. I think Sissons would unfortunately be the one that goes.

Reactions: NNCbama

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If the Bruins re-sign Krug, they should look to move Gryz for a forward. If they don’t re-sign Krug, they can use the money to add another forward and protect Gryz. Simple!

Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta, Kase, DeBrusk, Coyle the obvious keepers up front with one forward spot up for grabs. McAvoy, Carlo and one of Krug and Gryz on the backend.

A wild card worth mentioning is Trent Frederic. He would have to be protected and he could play himself into getting protected next season if he builds on leading his AHL team in helpers and all the AHL in fights and PIMs for a team that needs some of that especially with Chara being 63 years old or whatever.

Krejci and Rask will both be UFAs. Krejci has long been rumored to want to finish his career back in Europe. Rask is interesting in that perhaps they can have a wink wink deal to sign him after the draft and get to use their protection slot on Vladar instead.

Reactions: hmc1987

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Mackinnon
Rants
Landy
Kadri
Bura
Compher

Makar
Girard
Graves

Francouz

Exposed or traded EJ, Zadorov, Jost. The others will be UFAs and might not return.

I would rather keep Nuke that Compher if this season repeats.

Reactions: JackFr

Ken Lund

Feb 23, 2019
Teams should learn the lesson from last time. Don't over think it. You get to protect half your team. You have other valuable players who are exempt. You lose one player. Maybe it's a guy you kind of like, but there is room for all the guys you really like. Suck it up, dont make it worse by doing crazy crap to protect your 15th best player. You still have 1 through 14 and 16 through 25, and every other team is losing somebody too.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
As of now, I think the Penguins will protect...

Forwards: Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Rust, ... (the next three are hard to determine and will likely vary depending on the Pens fan you ask) , Zucker, McCann, and Tanev
Defense: Letang, Dumoulin, Pettersson (Marino is exempt)
Goalie: Murray or Jarry (don't know yet)

Last edited:
Reactions: hmc1987

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Oilers currently don't even have enough players worth protecting (GIVE US YOUR DEPTH PLZ!!!)
7-3-1

McDavid, Draisaitl, Kassian, AA, TBD, TBD, We might use a protection slot on Puljujaarvi
Klefbom, Nurse, TBD
Koskinen

Not needing protection:
RNH (UFA 2021)
Larsson (UFA 2021)
Kris Russel (UFA 2021)
Bear (2nd Year)
Jones (2nd Year)
Yamamoto (2nd year)

I mean, I guess the Oilers will be required to expose Neal and Khaira on forward
There's a very good chance we won't even have anyone to expose on Defense with 40 games NHL experience.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Still a lot to figure out (possible Parise/Brodin/Dumba trades, possible Brodin extension, etc...), but as it stands now:

Option 1
7-3-1
Protect: Parise, Zuccarello, Fiala, Eriksson Ek, Kunin, Greenway/Donato
Expose: Greenway/Donato, Rask
Protect: Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba
Expose: Soucy, Menell
Protect: Kahkonen
Expose: Stalock

Option 2
4-4-1
Protect: Parise, Zuccarello, Fiala, probably Eriksson Ek
Expose: Kunin, Greenway, Donato, Rask
Protect: Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba, Brodin (extended)
Expose: Soucy, Menell

Expiring F UFAs: Staal, Foligno, Hartman
Expiring D UFAs: Brodin, Hunt, Pateryn
Expiring G UFAs: Dubnyk

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
7-3-1

Tavares
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Hyman
AJ
Kerfoot
(Kappy will be traded)

Rielly
Muzzin
Dermott

Andersen

Players of interest: Gauthier, Holl, Engvall, Marincin (just kidding), UFA Barrie, Rosen and Campbell.

Note: Maybe Dermott if Kappy gets turned into a RHD,

My guess is we bribe them to take Engvall over Campbell.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
If Montreal were to protect right now, it would be

Forwards: Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, Domi, Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Armia
Defense: Weber, Petry, Mete
Goalie: Price

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
NEW YORK RANGERS
ForwardsDefensemenGoalie
PanarinTroubaGeorgiev
ZibanejadDeAngelo
KreiderLindgren
Chytil
Lemieux
*TBD
*TBD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Plans can obviously change. I'm leaving the last 2 spot blank because right now there's a few different players who can be exposed or exempt.

Jasper Fast (UFA)
Paval Buchnevich
Brett Howden
Ryan Strome
Lias Andersson

Lemieux, Strome need new contracts. I'm not certain Buchnevich will still be on NYR when the expansion draft comes. Same with Howden and Lias. Fast is a UFA that we would like to re-sign depending on cost.

If Georgiev ends up traded, we'll have to get a goalie to expose.

Libor Hajek is the only other Defensemen we need to protect now that Skjei has been traded. I'm not sold on him jumping the other 3. DeAngelo does need a new contract through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Clutch

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Ovechkin (Expires in 2021 so if Caps has a lot of player to protect they might resign him after the Expansion draft)
Kuznetsov
Backström
Vrana
Wilson
Eller
Oshie/Hagelin/Panik/Hathaway/New player

Carlson
Orlov
Kempny/Dillon/Siegenthaler/New player

Samsonov

I don't think the Caps have the biggest issues looking at their current rooster. Kempny have struggled after his injury (After a really good start coming back). Dillon might be protected if he is resigned or Siegenthaler. None of them are devastating losses. Protecting Samsonov is an easy choice. As forwards go Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backström (NMC), Wilson, Vrana and Eller will be protected.

Oshie is really good and if he is just as good next season he should get protected, but if he starts slowing down he will probably be exposed as he has 4 more years after next season and will be 38 when his contract ends. He's almost from Seattle so he might have some extra chance to get chosen. Hagelin/Panik/Hathaway are depth players that they will choose to protect one of if they don't protect Oshie.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Montreal should be interesting since they have a bunch of UFAs (Danault, Armia, Gallagher, Petry, Tatar) and what will they do with Price and Weber?

Defense will be the big question mark with needing to protect Weber, Fleury, Mete, Chiarot, Juulsen, Kulak and perhaps another top-4 D if Bergevin acquires one over the summer. It will depend on how good the youth is playing. This is why exposing Weber makes sense if he has a subpar season... you get to protect 3 other younger Ds who will be here long term (or maybe Chiarot/Petry if re-signed)

Up front should be Domi, Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Evans, Lehkonen, Byron, one slot open. I believe Bergevin will try to sign both Gallagher/Danault before the draft so they will need protection. One of Lehks/Byron/Evans would be left unprotected

Most likely to go are probably (in no order) Lehkonen, Byron, Mete, Chiarot with Weber/Price as wildcards

Habs will have a nice core of NHL-worthy exempt players; Poehling, Suzuki, Caufield, Primeau, Romanov, Brook

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Oilers currently don't even have enough players worth protecting (GIVE IS YOUR DEPTH PLZ!!!)
7-3-1

McDavid, Draisaitl, Kassian, AA, TBD, TBD, We might use a protection slot on Puljujaarvi
Klefbom, Nurse, TBD
Koskinen

Not needing protection:
RNH (UFA 2021)
Larsson (UFA 2021)
Kris Russel (UFA 2021)
Bear (2nd Year)
Jones (2nd Year)
Yamamoto (2nd year)

I mean, I guess the Oilers will be required to expose Neal and Khaira on forward
There's a very good chance we won't even have anyone to expose on Defense with 40 games NHL experience.

Bear, Jones and Yamamoto all need protection from what I'm seeing on capfriendly

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain

Mackinnon
Rants
Landy
Kadri
Bura
Compher

Makar
Girard
Graves

Francouz

I would rather keep Nuke that Compher if this season repeats.
You only listed 6 forwards so technically both Nuke and Compher could be kept but I’m guessing that Donskoi would be protected over either one of the them.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Blackhawks:

Kane (NMC)
Toews (NMC)
Debrincat

Keith (NMC)
Seabrook if not on LTIR (NMC)

Exempt:
Dach
Boqvist
Kubalik

I think everyone else is up for grabs at this point.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Flyers 7-3-1
F
Hayes (NMC)
Giroux(NMC)
Konecky
Patrick
Voracek
Couturier
7th if Lindblom recovers from cancer and plays well (not saying likely but do have to recognize)
7th is no Lindblom Kubel
(Frost Farabee exempt)
(exposed JVR, Rubesov) Laughton 2021 FA JVR is good player just an overpaid player and with Hart and Sanheim contracts at minimum in 2021 cap space more important.
D
easy
Provorov
Myers
Sanheim
exposed Ghost
g
Hart
exposed to be determined
64k question is ghost, could be traded off season, could hope he comes back to 3 years ago form and if he does 4-4 not crazy and exposing patrick Voracek, Oscar, and Kubel. Or trade pre expansion draft.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
7-3-1

Tavares
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Hyman
AJ
Kerfoot
(Kappy will be traded)

Rielly
Muzzin
Dermott

Andersen

Players of interest: Gauthier, Holl, Engvall, Marincin (just kidding), UFA Barrie, Rosen and Campbell.

Note: Maybe Dermott if Kappy gets turned into a RHD,

My guess is we bribe them to take Engvall over Campbell.

I don't think that'll be the 3 dmen protected, and Andersen won't be a leaf then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad